PDA

View Full Version : What is the absolute quietest hang-on skimmer?

nlreefguy
11-01-2009, 01:05 AM
And how quiet is it? i.e. is it louder than your fans, for instance? or your return/closed loop pump? Or other pieces of equipment in your system? Sorry, if that's a stupid question.... you might all be thinking "of course it's louder than a fan... duh!?!"

Quiet in my living room is really important to me - it's also where I have my turntable set up and listen to all my music.

bvlester
11-01-2009, 05:23 AM
I use a aqua medic T1000 Multi and it was quiet and produced tuns of thick dark very smelly skim mate.

Bill

fkshiu
11-01-2009, 05:27 AM
The Deltec MCE-600 I listened to was hardly audible. Same with the Tunze 9002.

RuGlu6
11-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Deltec MCE 600.
It is quiet but not silent, so it will be OK for living room but not for "sleeping" room LOL

nlreefguy
11-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Generally speaking ,the consensus on this from what I've read prior is the deltec, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one and can testify first-hand about the noise level. Any of you guys actually own one??

hillbillyreefer
11-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I've got a deltec mce 600 in my living room, it is far from quiet. Maybe something isn't set up right. Of the three skimmers I have running at the moment
1. Tunze 9002 in the bedroom and very quiet
2.Aqua C Remora, quiet with a piece of paper towel under the cup in the inlet chamber.
3.Deltec 600, haven't figured out how to shut it up yet.

nlreefguy
11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I am currently running an eshopps psk-100h and, again, it was something that I had read was very quiet and proved to be dramatically less so in reality. What a disappointment! Makes you wonder if you're doing something wrong, doesn't it?

mike31154
11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Old schoold DIY counter current air diffuser skimmer. Only audible component is the air pump, so any sound produced is dependent on that single component. Small Aquaclear 301 power head in a pre-skimmer box provides water flow thru the skimmer and it's virtually silent since it's mostly submerged. On the other side of the coin, I ran an Aqua C Remora on a Mag 3 for about 8 months and that thing had to be the noisiest piece of equipment I've ever run on my system. I was actually glad when I cracked the intake tube during some maintenance and went back to the DIY unit.

Limewood air diffusers are still one of the best and most silent ways to produce very fine bubbles. Most of the newer technology skimmers use high power pumps with needle wheels and other relatively noisy technology to produce bubbles. It's difficult to design these components to be efficient and silent at the same time. A trade off in high performance I guess.

RuGlu6
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Generally speaking ,the consensus on this from what I've read prior is the deltec, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one and can testify first-hand about the noise level. Any of you guys actually own one??

i do own one and like i mentioned before ok for living room quiet but not silent.
Better then skimmers that are being run on MAG drive pumps anyway.

It took some time to get quieter and yes it was longer time (few month!)compare to other skimmers (few weeks) for some reason.