PDA

View Full Version : SPS Tip's Burning??

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 01:11 AM
In all my years reef keeping, i have never managed to burn any of the tips on my acros and have never really seen it before :neutral: so can any one confirm if that is what is happening to this birdsnest at the moment :question:

I have recently changed my lighting & ballasts so i am assuming that this may be the cause, although i know that over dosing Potassium and Alk spikes can also cause this problem.... Potassium is at 380ppm & Alk @ 7..

Are there any other issues that can cause this? I am running ZEO and what is the best way to help this recover. Would it be best to cut off the affected tips? I have raised the lights for the time being.

Regards,

Simon...

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/simplycoral/IMGP4934.jpg

Myka
11-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Spikes in pH will burn tips too. From the pics it doesn't look like it's the tips though...? It looks to me more like something it munching on them, but I don't see any pests in the pics. Take a really close look though - with a magnifying glass if you can.

wisesam
11-01-2009, 03:30 AM
it looks to me more like something it munching on them.
+1

Snappy
11-01-2009, 05:27 AM
+2 for munched on.

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 05:56 AM
It only seems to be the upward face of the branches that are directly under the halide which are affected? White patches with no polyps..

I moved a staghorn down from the same area which started to bleach after i changed the lighting. I will take the birdsnest out tomorrow and have a good look! :neutral:

Thanks,

Simon

Myka
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
What do you have for fish in there?

sphelps
11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
What kind of salt are you using? Some of my acro tips use to "burn" from low alkalinity, some salts have higher levels of heavy metals which create falsely high alkalinity measurements.

Did you change the lighting recently? I've always found birdsnest coral vulnerable to increases in lighting, mine always did better in lower light, if I had them in higher light they would grow well for a well but eventually bleach out.

Jason McK
11-01-2009, 03:08 PM
This looks exactly like what happened to my SPS. I never found the cause but have some suggestions
1) What CA suppliment are you using
2) What Salt are you using
3) what are your new lights/Ballast

J

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
What do you have for fish in there?

I have 6 Green Chromis, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Mimic Tang, 2 Clown, 1 Mandarin & a 6 Line Wrasse.. Fairly sure it's not the fish. The birdsnest does have a host crab? Could that be the culprit.. Look like the usual white with flat claws type..

What kind of salt are you using? Some of my acro tips use to "burn" from low alkalinity, some salts have higher levels of heavy metals which create falsely high alkalinity measurements.

Did you change the lighting recently? I've always found birdsnest coral vulnerable to increases in lighting, mine always did better in lower light, if I had them in higher light they would grow well for a well but eventually bleach out.

I am using Reef Crystals.. I changed the lighting a around a week ago. I am still convinced it is a lighting issue. and your right about the lower light as the underside is flourishing in the shade..

Thanks for the reply's :smile:

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
This looks exactly like what happened to my SPS. I never found the cause but have some suggestions
1) What CA suppliment are you using

Seachem Reef Advantage

2) What Salt are you using

Reef Crystals

3) what are your new lights/Ballast

Changed the 250w Odyssea stock bulbs and ballast's over to Ushio 14k and Ice Cap ballasts :smile: Make's a huge difference...

J

Thanks, Simon

Jason McK
11-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Have you checked for AEFW (Acro eating Flat worms)

J

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Have you checked for AEFW (Acro eating Flat worms)

J

Hi,

Yes have been over it thoroughly.. I am pretty harsh on all the corals i put into my display. I use interceptor, Revive, Flatworm Exit and Lugols. I QT everything for 2 weeks. Thats not to say that something could not have slipped through, but i can not see anything..

Simon..

xtreme
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I made the mistake of not putting the glass in my reflectors for a couple days and fried a bunch of corals. My birdsnest looked similar to yours. Any chance you are running DE MH's without glass to filter out the UV?

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I made the mistake of not putting the glass in my reflectors for a couple days and fried a bunch of corals. My birdsnest looked similar to yours. Any chance you are running DE MH's without glass to filter out the UV?

Would the glass in the Odyssea MH fixture filter out the UV from an Ushio? The Previous bulbs were fine in the fixture?

BTW any one ever glued a Birdsnest back together :cry:

Just took it out again to look closer and dropped it !!! F#@$##

S

sphelps
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Got to be the lighting then, would definitely be good to move it if possible

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
It's Currently on Vacation in one of my QT tanks... In 5 Pieces :redface:

Thanks for everyones advice..

I think i agree it's more than likely a lighting issue.

Simon.