PDA

View Full Version : Ich ???

edmfishguy
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm just very new at the salt water thing , I've done fresh water for years...but last night I picked up a yellow tang and for the first four hour the tang was in the tank my three striped damsel was bullying him.. I relocated to damsel to a friends tank and this afternoon I noticed that my tang has sighs of Ich.. some one was telling me that I should just keep and eye on it for a couple of days... SHOLD I WORRY????? I don't have QT tanks set up but I do have an 15 gal that I can set up....

simplycoral
11-01-2009, 01:41 AM
If you don't have any coral in the tank, then it would be fairly easy to treat.. If you do, then you can try some of the commercial treatments that are reef safe, although their effectiveness is always a debate.. I have used Kordon's Ich Attack successfully but double dosed it.. I know others that have used it without success.

I have seen it come and go on it's own but rarely.. Other methods of treatment are freshwater dips, hypo salinity & raising the temperature.

Others will offer more advice i'm sure :smile:

Simon..

I'm just very new at the salt water thing , I've done fresh water for years...but last night I picked up a yellow tang and for the first four hour the tang was in the tank my three striped damsel was bullying him.. I relocated to damsel to a friends tank and this afternoon I noticed that my tang has sighs of Ich.. some one was telling me that I should just keep and eye on it for a couple of days... SHOLD I WORRY????? I don't have QT tanks set up but I do have an 15 gal that I can set up....

naesco
11-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Feed it garlic extract (Garlic Extreme)
Soak flake or spirulina disks in the garlic extract. Feed only garlic soaked food'

kien
11-01-2009, 01:22 AM
If your fish are healthy they can fight the ich off themselves. You can help them along the way by soaking their food in garlic extract from a local fish store. You can also try one or two skunk cleaner shrimp to eat off their ich parasites.

edmfishguy
11-01-2009, 04:03 AM
is it safe to add cleaner shrimp withmy Anemone???

bvlester
11-01-2009, 05:19 AM
I have cleaner shrimp in my 55g with 2 nem's it is safe cleaner shrimp can do the same thing a clown fish can. I have one shrimp that will purch its self on top of the nem's tenticals It will steel food right out of the nem's tenticals also.

Bill

edmfishguy
11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
so Last night I pick some cleaner shrimp.... they clowns were going after them before they even hit the bottom of the tank...but I had my grabing tool handy... but after about 15 mins the clowns seemed to be leaving them alone.. I hope they are hidding because I didn't see them this morning..

edmfishguy
11-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Well I followed everyone's advice and raised the temp in my tank and lowered the salinity that helped for a few day. I also started adding garlic guard to there food. didn't see any sign of it for almost a week. then on thursday night I noticed my yellow tang with a few spots. by morning my one Black Ocellaris started to get spots too. By the weekend it was really bad and my other Ocellaris started to get spots. I also pulled my urchin out thinking maybe that had something to do with it. thats the only thing that had been changed in the tank. I went to a local shop and they told me to use ICK ATTACK. I follow the Instructions on the bottle and by morning my yellow tang was floating.... I continued with the treatments and this morning both my Ocellaris were dead. So time to start again.. I'm not going to use the Ick attack again, I'm going to do a 25%water change and see where it goes from there.... I've tested the water threw this hole thing and all the levels seen to be safe.. anyone have any ideas

bvlester
11-19-2009, 06:57 AM
what is your Ph at use a calibrated Ph probe Clowns are suseptible to low Ph and does not take much. 1.0 of a drop in Ph can kill a clown if you don't catch it. You could have brooklynella disease in your tank manly clowns get it it may transfer I don't know though, google it. I did a google and it can transfer to other fish similer to Ick. heres a link to some information:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/ht/treatbrooklynel.htm

I added a carpet nem on the weekend and the shrimp don't go on it.

I hope this helps.
Bill

DJ_drew
11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
the most effective way to get rid of ich in a salt water tank is to setup a QT tank and then put all of your fish in that and leave your display fowl for 6 weeks( no fish) inverts and corals are safe, BUT do not add anything to your tank. as the water from the lfs could have ich in it even if u buy just corals or inverts.

the fastest way is to do a 90% water change as it takes the ich in the water colum with and leave it without fish for at least a week and then always, ALWAYS QT new fish when u put them in the DT.

ich only lives in fish and will not transfer to inverst and nems. alot of people will tell you that ich can live in LR, which is not true.

Ich lives in fishes gills for the most part, and fish that are more succeptable to ich are tangs as they are scaleless, i learned the hard way.
my tank only has tangs and clowns in it and i have 300 gallons to worry about
be very careful if u put tangs in your tank always QT them for at least 6 weeks just make sure the water quality is excellent!

anything else im sure someone else will bring up :)

Drew

DJ_drew
11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
the most effective way to get rid of ich in a salt water tank is to setup a QT tank and then put all of your fish in that and leave your display fowl for 6 weeks( no fish) inverts and corals are safe, BUT do not add anything to your tank. as the water from the lfs could have ich in it even if u buy just corals or inverts.

the fastest way is to do a 90% water change as it takes the ich in the water colum with and leave it without fish for at least a week and then always, ALWAYS QT new fish when u put them in the DT.

ich only lives in fish and will not transfer to inverst and nems. alot of people will tell you that ich can live in LR, which is not true.

Ich lives in fishes gills for the most part, and fish that are more succeptable to ich are tangs as they are scaleless, i learned the hard way.
my tank only has tangs and clowns in it and i have 300 gallons to worry about
be very careful if u put tangs in your tank always QT them for at least 6 weeks just make sure the water quality is excellent!

anything else im sure someone else will bring up :)

Drew