PDA

View Full Version : ICH in our Tank!!

marknash
10-31-2009, 07:21 PM
we purchased a flame angel yesterday.. and now hes got white spots all over his fins. we dont have a QT tank.. and dont really have the funds to go buy a small one.. (WHO KNEW THIS WAS SOOO EXPENSIVE) What do we do?

BlueTang<3
10-31-2009, 07:29 PM
all you need is a rubbermaid container filter heater and lots of water changes how bad is the ich ?? is there lots of spots what other fish do you have hows your temp is he being picked on

marknash
10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
all you need is a rubbermaid container filter heater and lots of water changes how bad is the ich ?? is there lots of spots what other fish do you have hows your temp is he being picked on

we are super new to the hobby.. its been about 3months now
i dont think it looks too bad.. just on his tail fin.. and . the fins on the sides
everyone seems to be getting along well.. no bullying noted we have the flame angel, 2 benggai cardinals, 2 clownfish, and a chromis in our 46g tank.
we were planning for the angel to be our last addition.. we just upped our temp to 80

BlueTang<3
10-31-2009, 07:50 PM
if you up the temp slowly it will slow the spread but if it is not terrible just pay attention to it if it gets worse you will wanna do something about it but for now with your resources a good way to treat is feed good quality food it is a good practice to soak/ unthaw food highly recommend pe mysis as it is canadian food and high in protein in garlic extreme or garlic guard and a multi vitamin this boosts the immune system i learned the hard way of the ich outbreak not having a qt tank now i do but remember ich is a cycle and now it is in the tank it will look like you beat it and at around the four week mark it will hit again. having good water quality also helps the fish. you should be safe i would not add any more fish to the tank. another thought is a cleaner shrimp helps clean the fish or a coral banded will eat parasite off the fish could also get a neon goby or cleaner wrase but also can get ich and unless they are eating frozen will likely parish just keep an eye on it

good luck Wes

BlueTang<3
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
keep an eye on the cardinals if you got two males they will likely fight unless you can sex them they usually say buy three and hope two pair up then remove the other

marknash
10-31-2009, 07:56 PM
if you up the temp slowly it will slow the spread but if it is not terrible just pay attention to it if it gets worse you will wanna do something about it but for now with your resources a good way to treat is feed good quality food it is a good practice to soak/ unthaw food highly recommend pe mysis as it is canadian food and high in protein in garlic extreme or garlic guard and a multi vitamin this boosts the immune system i learned the hard way of the ich outbreak not having a qt tank now i do but remember ich is a cycle and now it is in the tank it will look like you beat it and at around the four week mark it will hit again. having good water quality also helps the fish. you should be safe i would not add any more fish to the tank. another thought is a cleaner shrimp helps clean the fish or a coral banded will eat parasite off the fish could also get a neon goby or cleaner wrase but also can get ich and unless they are eating frozen will likely parish just keep an eye on it

good luck Wes
we do feed our fish pe mysis, will get some garlic and a multi vit..
we have a fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp... how many cleaner shrimp should we get?
thanks!! ashley

marknash
10-31-2009, 07:59 PM
ha, thats funny you mention the cardinals.. we went to a place here in edmonton and he said oh hey.. yah.. you only need one cardinal.. then i read and read.. that they shouldnt be alone.. so along with our flame angel.. we got our cardinal a buddy. they dont seem to be fighting so far. but we didnt know they could fight.. we just thought they automatically would get along.. lol ..our old cardinal is about 2 times the size of the new one.

BlueTang<3
10-31-2009, 08:24 PM
should be safe the chin/ jaw and fin is how to sex them with the cleaners it is your choice they usually say 1 per 90 gallons is what i heard but who knows i have had more they wont eat the ich but keep your fish happy

marknash
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
so the spots are getting worse.. ive turned off the lights.. and added some more immunovital. will go get some garlic and vits.. with no QT.. is that all i can do?
It seems like.. just when you think everything is perfect in your tank..something else happens to mess things up! and the thing that sucks even more, this isnt even my tank, got suckered into helping my boyfriend .. and in the end i think im more involved than he is.. ha ha

Mr.nintendo
10-31-2009, 11:46 PM
I am going through the same thing, trying to sort out a quarantine tank myself to deal with it best of luck as well

naesco
11-01-2009, 01:32 AM
so the spots are getting worse.. ive turned off the lights.. and added some more immunovital. will go get some garlic and vits.. with no QT.. is that all i can do?
It seems like.. just when you think everything is perfect in your tank..something else happens to mess things up! and the thing that sucks even more, this isnt even my tank, got suckered into helping my boyfriend .. and in the end i think im more involved than he is.. ha ha

Immunovital. It is a waste of money. I hope your LFS did not suggest it. If so change LFS.
Mark get some garlic extreme as suggested by the previous poster.
Soak dry food in the garlic extreme for a few minutes and feed the fish. Dry because it absorbs more garlic that frozen food.
Feed very often and feed only garlic soaked food. The idea is to get as much garlic in the fish as possible.
Good luck.