PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Butterflies

fishytime
10-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Just wondering what peoples experiences with them in a reef were? How are they with your corals? How are they with your clams? We have some in at the shop and I am really tempted, but I have 11 clams in my tank and am super nervous about adding a pair. Any input would be great.

Dez
10-31-2009, 06:17 PM
I thank Snappy has a few in his tank. Check with Greg!

xtreme
10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
I thank Snappy has a few in his tank. Check with Greg!

I asked him about his and he said they like to nip at his palys but other than that they were safe. I don't think Greg has any clams in his tank though.

cuz
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=fishytime;459741]but I have 11 clams in my tank QUOTE]

How many people can say this is their "problem"!!lol.. I'm waiting to try my hand at just one!!Lucky!!

Delphinus
10-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Get them! They are the SAFEST butterfly out there for reefs. You can quote me on that. Take it to the bank. And if I'm proven wrong, I'll buy them from you. Now how's that for irony, the customer telling the vendor a personal guarantee. :)

I want to do a bunch too, when the day comes when I have space for them. :)

mark
11-01-2009, 01:37 AM
low risk for coral nipping

Reefkeeping Mag (http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/43-fish-profile-)

Dez
11-01-2009, 02:06 AM
I asked him about his and he said they like to nip at his palys but other than that they were safe. I don't think Greg has any clams in his tank though.

Greg told me his clams are in his rockwork. So I'm pretty sure he has at least one clam.

Delphinus
11-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Greg does have a few clams. Also if I recall correctly, he's mentioned on his build thread that while they nipped at palys at first, they don't anymore.

fishytime
11-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a large colony of palys that I would love for the butterflies to love....but as I said....its the clams that Im concerned about....*wonders if Tony just wants me to add them in hopes that I will have to get rid of some clams...hmmmm*

Delphinus
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
*I* wouldn't do a thing like that to you! Geez, where's the trust. :p

No seriously. Your clams are safe with those guys. I am hoping to do a small group of them myself.

How many are there and how big? I'd almost consider buying 1 or 2 right now, although my fish load in the 115g is getting kinda up there (10 I think? And I did kinda already buy 2 ulietensis butterflies a week ago).

Delphinus
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Updates? (Doug, did you get any?)