PDA

View Full Version : Help with Brown Scopus Tang

780Matt
10-31-2009, 06:59 AM
i am a new reefer. I have in my tank 2 four striped damsel with is healthy and doing good. I bought my tang 2 weeks ago. He was eating well. I noticed this morning that he had some discolouration on him/her I didnt know what it was. I now found him on his side at the bottom of the tank barely moving. I moved him into another bucket away from my exsisting tank. It is a 25 gallon. I do not have a skimmer so ive been doing water changes every week or so and he was good. I dont know whats going on and im terrified of putting more fish in the tank. I dont know if it would be the conditions of the water. My damsels are doing great. Any help?

thanks
matt:cry:

780Matt
10-31-2009, 12:50 PM
i am a new reefer. I have in my tank 2 four striped damsel with is healthy and doing good. I bought my tang 2 weeks ago. He was eating well. I noticed this morning that he had some discolouration on him/her I didnt know what it was. I now found him on his side at the bottom of the tank barely moving. I moved him into another bucket away from my exsisting tank. It is a 25 gallon. I do not have a skimmer so ive been doing water changes every week or so and he was good. I dont know whats going on and im terrified of putting more fish in the tank. I dont know if it would be the conditions of the water. My damsels are doing great. Any help?

thanks
matt:cry:

ok its now 7am The tang died and now my 2 damsels are on the bottom of the tank doing the same thing that the tang was. so im assuming they are going to die. Has my tank crashed? If it has whats the best way to save the mushrooms and corals I have in the tank? any advise would be great thanks.

rkelman
10-31-2009, 02:29 PM
It sounds like you are having a cycle. Check your ammonia. If you have ammonia do a large water change immediately. How old is this tank / how much live rock do you have? Was it previously cured?

780Matt
10-31-2009, 03:35 PM
It sounds like you are having a cycle. Check your ammonia. If you have ammonia do a large water change immediately. How old is this tank / how much live rock do you have? Was it previously cured?

This tank is going on 3 months old. I have approx 17.lbs of live rock. yes the rock was previously cured. all my fish are now dead. is it best to drain and start everything over again??

Tom R
10-31-2009, 03:56 PM
This tank is going on 3 months old. I have approx 17.lbs of live rock. yes the rock was previously cured. all my fish are now dead. is it best to drain and start everything over again??

You should now take a water sample to your local fish store tell them the story and have them test your water. This will be the best way to get to the bottom of the problem.

Tom R

780Matt
10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
ill do that. im just sooo surprised that all the fish died within 6 hours.

naesco
11-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Matt were the fish gasping at the top? If so it is a lack of oxygen.
Once you check to see that the tank has not cycled, you can start again.
This time;
Wait for one month until you add another fish to your tank.
Add only add one fish per month to your tank as adding too many at the same time affects the balance in a small tank like yours.
It is a good idea to ask here about fish suitable to your tank or go to www.wetwebmedia.com
Never add a tang to 25 gallon tank. If the LFS that sold you the tang knew it was going in a 25 gallon change LFS.
I don't mean to lecture. I know the loss is tough on you.

780Matt
11-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I found out that the PH was extremely low. Everything else was in check. Ive done a 50% water change and everything seems inline at this point. Once again. thanks to everyone..

PS.. does anyone have any fish that would be suitable for a 25 gallon tank that they want to get rid of at a reasonable price? I have another 25 gallon thats been cycling for a while now.

Matt

rkelman
11-01-2009, 11:05 AM
"Wait for one month until you add another fish to your tank

I totally agree with this. Your low ph didnt kill all those fish iin 6 hours. Dont add any thing else for a month then try again.