PDA

View Full Version : any southdown sand users outhere???

mrcopitr
04-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Hi fellow reefers,

I currently have a 5 inch deep sand bed composed of the very fine southdown sand...my tank (86 gal) has been up and running for two months now...since I have started to had fish to my tank (1 yelloe tang, 1 red liped blenny and one blue tang) plus the custodian crew..I always have a clowdy water colum...I have posted this problem before and tryed the different suggestion (i.e running less power heads, postionning them differently, doing water changes etc..) but the problem persist..all my fish and corals are doing
fine, water parameters are fine....

If someone is experiencing the same problem with the southdown sand I would really like to hear from you...

Best regards

Marco

reefburnaby
04-15-2002, 02:19 AM
Hi,

I guess I wasn't very clear. Sorry.

A micron filter is commonly used to polish water -- at least that is what the manufacturer claims (Marineland). It is basically a 1 micron water filter - it blocks anything that is bigger than 1 micron in diameter or so. The suspended sand should be bigger than 1 micron and the filter should trap all of the floating particles.

What you are looking for is a tubular filter that is designed for HOT Magnum or Magnum 350 (all made from Marineland). These filters are popular in fresh water tanks.

http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/pic2/con_pic2_magnum.jpg

See that Magnum 350 (top right) in the picture above ? The part that you are looking for is that white fanfold tube (with the blue bands) inside the middle of the acrylic can.

To use the filter, you'll need to invent something that will cause the water to flow through the fanfold floss paper and in to your water pump. I used duct tape. I plugged one side of the blue cap and built a converter (with duct tape) between the other blue cap to the power head.

The filter is reuseable (just rinse and reuse). You can rinse with a little vinegar to disolve some of the calcium sand that is stuck in the filter.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 14 April 2002, 22:26: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

reefburnaby
04-15-2002, 04:21 AM
Hi,

Give it time (6 months) for the bacteria to build up on it or get a micron filter. Its probably the extra fine particles in Southdown suspended in the water. Hence, it won't harm your tank...its just a visual thingy.

- Victor.

mrcopitr
04-15-2002, 04:34 AM
Thank you Victor for responding.

What is a micron filter...where can I buy one...I feel stupid not knowing what is a micron filter...

Do you think that these fine particule of sand can afect my live rock in anyways...

again
thank you
Marco