PDA

View Full Version : Securing 1/2" pvc inside dry rock?

lastlight
10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm drilling holes in my dry rock and using 1/2" pvc to peg things together. What can i use to keep the pvc from coming out? I'd prefer something I can buy at HD but if I should use the tubes of the green/white epoxy for reefs then please advise where it is best priced...

Another thing that concerns me is not just stopping the tube from wiggling...but from pulling out. Should I drill holes in the tips of the tubes and try and force my bonding agent into them as well?

Thanks for any advice.

kien
10-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Super long zip ties? Drill some holes for zip ties and fasten. Can also feed zip ties trough the PVC if you make holes in the PVC. Worked great for me, except I used acryllic rods instead of PVC. Great thing with zip ties is that the holes don't have to be that big to feed them through.

plutoniumJoe
10-31-2009, 12:17 AM
I would definitely drill some holes then use reef epoxy in the rock hole. When you jam the rod in some will hopefully squeeze in creating a mechanical bond. You could also roll out the epoxy and wrap the rod first then jam it in.

lastlight
10-31-2009, 01:16 AM
So do you guys think this would work then using just zipties?

I'm thinking in my base rock I drill 2 small holes maybe 6 inches apart all the way through. Then I drill a matching pair in the rock to go on top of it. Then use super long zip ties or use them in series so that I end up with one zipped up string going through both rocks in a single loop?

Will the UV black ties last? Even if they're going to break in a few years that's not ok and I'll use pvc and epoxy.

kien
10-31-2009, 02:31 AM
If you're concerned you could always do all of the above? Rod, then zip tie to hold, then epoxy to secure? Squish epoxy into crevasses of joints and to cover up the exposed zip ties. I did that to some of my structures.

lastlight
10-31-2009, 02:55 AM
You're onto something there. I will do the pvc for the larger pieces and maybe toss some zips in somehow. Then use zips for the smaller ones.

blake374
11-04-2009, 04:02 AM
I just used gravity to hold the rocks on place. each rock rests on the rock below it. I have heard of zip ties being used though.

KrazyKuch
11-04-2009, 04:17 AM
I would make sure that the zip ties you use have the nylon tab that holds it together instead of the standard metal tab you can get

lastlight
11-04-2009, 04:25 AM
I used various lengths of the black MARR zips from HD. 100% plastic.

Lance
11-04-2009, 04:32 AM
Why do you think the PVC rods will come out Brett? With the rock stacked on top of each other and the rods through the holes it should stay together. I made a 20" tall tower in the 90g this way and it is rock solid.

The tower on the right: Kinda hard to see it well because of the corals.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/lancefishtank/IMG_2486.jpg

lastlight
11-04-2009, 04:41 AM
I definitely don't think that now. I drilled all my holes to be EXACT fits. The pvc is really stuck in place. I only used some epoxy to deal the top hole to keep creatures out. I have 100% faith in the pvc.

Lance
11-04-2009, 04:45 AM
I definitely don't think that now. I drilled all my holes to be EXACT fits. The pvc is really stuck in place. I only used some epoxy to deal the top hole to keep creatures out. I have 100% faith in the pvc.

Yeah I'm sure it will be fine. Your rock is quite flat as well and should not be a problem.

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 03:38 AM
could someone explain the whole zip tie thing a bit better?? I understand the epoxy and the rods, but how do you use zip ties?? Im confused about that. wouldnt you see them?

lastlight
12-28-2009, 03:50 AM
If you spend many hours strategically drilling holes near contacting points in choice locations you can neatly hide all your zip ties. I couldn't really see any in my old setup.

Makes a really big mess...I did it right in the middle of my living room lol.

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 03:54 AM
ok... so the rod goes through the rock, and then you drill another hole in the rod and rock and run a loop through the rod and into the rock?? that seems kinda redundant if your using a rod, epoxy and they`re stacked

Skimmerking
12-28-2009, 04:18 AM
use spray foam in the middle and top/bottom