PDA

View Full Version : flame angel

marknash
10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
hello everyone.. we are new to the hobby and were wondering if anyone had any advice or objections to adding a small flame angel into our 48 gallon tank. we currently have about 40lbs of live rock, 2 clowns, 1 chromis, and 1 benggai cardinal. we are hoping to have corals as our tank matures..
ive heard that flame angels may bully other tank mates.. but we figured if we put him in last.. it might be ok.. and they are hit and miss with eating corals.
Any Help would be appreciated

globaldesigns
10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I have a flame and a potter's angel... A flame angel is ok for your size of tank, and should not bother the other fish, however if you add another dwarf/pygmy angel later, it will most likely be territorial.

I lost my first flame ( I don't know where, nothing found, but it was gone) so I got another, the potters bullied it for a day, but now they swim together without issues. So if you want 2, then I would add them at the same time to be safe.

In regards to corals, BEWARE, Angels of any size are prone to nip at them... I have large coral colonies and many of them... I can say I have never had an issue, but again BEWARE, they can nip.

Have fun, and welcome to this expensive but BEST HOBBY!

BigHammer
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
i had a flame in my 55 and i found him picking at the LPS, he was removed shortly after.

if you are confident in your ability to get him out without tearing the tank down id say give it a shot, because they really are beautiful.

marknash
10-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Guys... we are going to go down to pick him up sortly.
how long should we acclimate this thing for.. the other fish.. we have just been floating them in our tank.. and slowly adding our water into the bag.. over about 30-45 min
.. i knwo we are supposed to quarantine first.. but we dont have a QT. working on getting one.. we had no idea.. how expensive this hobby was going to be!!

hillegom
10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Here is a good acclimatization policy
http://www.petsolutions.com/article.aspx?id=109
Just remember, you wouldn't have received fish that were shipped 24-48 hours in a bag.

BigHammer
10-30-2009, 07:16 PM
i acclimate by putting the specimen in a fair sized tupperware container with about half water from the store.

then syphon from the main tank through some airline tubing and have a slow drip into the tupperware. i use a little adjustable plastic valve that lets you regulate flow, but you can also just tie a knot in the tubing to create the drip

once it fills i drain about half the water in the sink and repeat the procedure. once its full again hell be ready for his new home.

not a bad idea to cover the tupperware aswell incase he decides to jump

marknash
10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
So we ended up getting another benggai and a flame angel.. they are currently sittin in the dark.. in their bags.. in our tank.. they both ate well at the store and appear healthy.. fingers crossed!!

marknash
10-31-2009, 06:45 PM
so we left our lights off all night.. the cardinal an angel are both eating. except we noticed some white flecks all over the angels tail and fins..
i heard that its either lymphocytosis.. from poor water quality.. so i checked our parameters.. and everything is good.
so i think...im lead to believe that this is ich, or brokynella.. (not sure which one angels usually get)
hes eating and looks healthy ..swimming around and stuff..
Not sure what to do now.
thanks in advance for your input

Coleus
11-02-2009, 02:57 AM
picts would help but i think it is ich.
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

ElGuappo
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
if it is eating i would not even consider QT. just keep doing what you are doing. if your not already using garlic, now would be a good time to start soaking your food.

BigHammer
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
neon goby! mine makes short work of any thing that isnt supposed to be there.

marknash
11-09-2009, 05:55 PM
so .. hes only got a few spots on him now..the spots dissappeared when we turned the temp up... so my bf thought well everythign is good.. so turned it back down... then the spots re appeared... temp is now at 80 deg. hes still eating.. acting like hes doing okay likes teh garlic and multivits.. everyone else in the tank looks good

when we first got our flame.. the lady at out LFS had a hard time getting him out of the net.. so he came home with what we thought was a bit of a battle wound on his dorsal fin... it kinda got white.. then you could see the tine sticking out with no (skin?) over top of it.. now the tine is gone.. it seems to be getting a bit worse.. you can kind of see it in our pic.. above the second black line on his side.
any thoughts on what this could be?
doesnt appear to be any bullying going on.. sigh.

intarsiabox
11-10-2009, 02:45 AM
If you can leave your tank at a steady 80 degrees and it gets rid of the Ich then go for it. Lots of reefers keep their tanks at 80, the only problem I have with it is in the summer on really hot days with MH's running my temps got up to 84 for awhile. I have just switched to T5's so hoping it won't be an issue anymore. I've had fish lose parts of their fins before from bullying but once the problem was corrected the fins always grew back. The only time it might be bad is if it is caused by a bacterial infection and not just physical harm. If you start seeing white fuzzy stuff around the damaged area you may need to quarentine and treat him otherwise wait to see if it gets worse and keep an eye out for bullys (sometimes only happens after lights out).

Very beautiful fish by the way!

naesco
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
so .. hes only got a few spots on him now..the spots dissappeared when we turned the temp up... so my bf thought well everythign is good.. so turned it back down... then the spots re appeared... temp is now at 80 deg. hes still eating.. acting like hes doing okay likes teh garlic and multivits.. everyone else in the tank looks good

when we first got our flame.. the lady at out LFS had a hard time getting him out of the net.. so he came home with what we thought was a bit of a battle wound on his dorsal fin... it kinda got white.. then you could see the tine sticking out with no (skin?) over top of it.. now the tine is gone.. it seems to be getting a bit worse.. you can kind of see it in our pic.. above the second black line on his side.
any thoughts on what this could be?
doesnt appear to be any bullying going on.. sigh.

Return the fish. Never accept a fish that is damaged in the LFS employee's attempts to catch it. You are entitled to a healthy specimen and it should be caught by an LFS employee trained in catching them.