PDA

View Full Version : Rock Crab - Good/Bad?

Tigger
08-28-2003, 07:43 AM
I noticed I have a rock crab with bright red eyes in my rock. Is this a good thing, or should I try to get rid of it?

Beverly
08-28-2003, 01:02 PM
I've always considered red eyed, brown crabs to be unwanted pests. To catch them, use a small baby food jar or shot glass sized glass container. Place saran wrap around 2/3 of the top and secure with an elastic. Put some thawed frozen food as bait into the trap then place the trap at a 45 degree angle in a conspicuous location with the opening against some LR. Shouldn't take too long to trap these guys as they are fairly aggressive eaters.

Once you catch them, you'll want to do something with them. If you have a FO tank with crab eating fish, put the crab in there, or put them in your sump, if you like. If you have a few of them to catch, they will keep in separate glasses of tankwater for several days provided they get a water change daily, and you can take them to the lfs as food for their crab eating fish.

If you just want to humanely kill them, put your cutting board on the kitchen counter. Put a towel on the board. Place the crab in a baggie, place the baggie on the towel covered board, then cover with the baggie with the towel. Get a big rock and whack the crab really hard. Will kill it instantly, with no suffering.

Aquattro
08-28-2003, 03:17 PM
I knew the rock was going to come into this !! :razz:

Wilty
08-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Thats plain mean, just mean! :razz:

Beverly
08-28-2003, 06:34 PM
That's just plain getting rid of an unwanted animal quickly and painlessly :rolleyes: The poor crab wouldn't know what hit it and it would be in little crab heaven in no time flat.

While I have rocked crabs in the past, I now usually keep them until I go to the lfs where they are eaten by triggers or similar fish.

If I was an unwanted crab, I don't know which I would prefer :eek:

Wilty
08-28-2003, 06:47 PM
I'd prefer not to be caught in your cruel hands. Crab killer :razz: :lol:

I do like the pun would be in little crab heaven in no time flat.

'Flat' being the key word.

Beverly
08-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I think I've trapped all the destructive crabs from my tanks. But tell ya what, in the event I find any more, you're welcome to pick them up for your sump or even for your reef :cool:

Wilty
08-28-2003, 07:32 PM
I'll be know as the savior of crabs through-out the crab community. They even may build me a statue in my sump. Once my tank is fully running I have no problem having crabs in the sump. I'll certainly save them from your clutches

AJ_77
08-28-2003, 08:59 PM
The idea of the crab in the Trigger tank seems a little more"natural" than squashing it, but whatever floats your boat... :biggrin:

I'll be know as the savior of crabs through-out the crab community. They even may build me a statue in my sump.
Too bad "Wilty" wasn't at the beach with us this summer- could've maybe saved some of those crabs we accidently stepped on... they might build you a sandcastle or something in appreciation.

:confused:

Wilty
08-28-2003, 09:02 PM
A Wilty monument . . .AH yes, where all the crabs could worship... hahahah

Great crab king wilty.

Beverly
08-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Wilty,

teevee currently holds that high honour because he has taken numerous crabs off my hands over the past several months for his sump. AND he's driven all the way from Red Deer to do it :biggrin: But if I do come across any more destructive crabs, I will advertise them on this board for you or whoever else wants them.

But really, you've gotta get over this thing that all animals that hitchhike into a tank on LR are wanted by everyone. They simply aren't.

Wilty
08-28-2003, 09:47 PM
I like life, and the idea of hitchhikes is the fun part for me. I really enjoy putting rock in my tank and watching to see what I got. I think of it more as a magic grab bag. Remember when you were a kid and you could get those surprise bags. I honestly don't like killing anything.

Quinn
08-28-2003, 10:10 PM
I think if you have a big enough tank, you could just leave the crab. Unless you have very small fish he could easily catch, I doubt he'll be a problem. Bev has license, as she has a fairly small tank. Myself, I would probably leave any red eyed crabs. The occasional sniped polyp isn't a big deal. However they do make great sump dwellers, I have one of Bev's living on a single piece of rock between two baffles. There are plenty of amphipods in there to keep him company (or well-fed).

Wilty
08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Crabs, and snails for that matter would do a good job of keeping sumps clean.

Beverly
08-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey, Quinn, how many of my crabs do you have? I've only rocked one. It was a disgusting thing to do, but that week, I had no alternatives. I know three of my crabs fed triggers at AI. Can't remember if anyone else picked up crabs from me besides you, but I sure found a lot of freaking crabs in my tanks :eek:

I also have two captive bred seahorse tanks where crabs of any kind are just asking for dead seahorses. Not my idea of fun :evil:

Quinn
08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
I have two of your crabs.

StirCrazy
08-29-2003, 12:12 AM
I noticed I have a rock crab with bright red eyes in my rock. Is this a good thing, or should I try to get rid of it?

this is a poor helpless critter who deserves every chance at life he can get.
So catch him and put him on the middle of the road outside and give him his chance to excape and life a full life :mrgreen:

Steve

Beverly
08-29-2003, 02:55 AM
ROTFLMAO!! Steve, you are a totally BAD boy :lol: