PDA

View Full Version : seahorse vs octopus

seahorsestarter
10-29-2009, 07:40 PM
can they be put in the same tank without it being a cage match!!!!!

no_bs
10-29-2009, 07:41 PM
No!

tgoeujon
10-29-2009, 07:46 PM
if your gonna try it set up a video camera. ( my vote would be that youd have an octo with a seahorse in its stomach in about 5 mins)

belzebuth
10-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Absolutely no !!! The octopus is a predator.

seahorsestarter
10-29-2009, 07:52 PM
thankyou for your input that will save me alot of money. whats your input about pipe fish with the seahorses

tgoeujon
10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
pipefish and seahorses are generally compatible

seahorsestarter
10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
thanks for the quick answers!!!!!! i love this site!

sphelps
10-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't know, I think certain species of octopus and seahorses may be able to go together. Do any of you really know for sure?? Or do you just enjoy being closed minded? I got the exact same response when I inquired about seahorses and other predators but.... :mrgreen: (http://www.facebook.com/v/68286609531)

Dwarf octopuses are nocturnal and prey on mollusks and crustaceans and stay small at a size around 4". Somehow I don't see such a creature going after a full grown seahorse. I don't know for sure but at least I'm making that clear.

subman
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
sphelps I love that tank!! I have a dwarf golden in with mine and they get along fine!!

seahorsestarter
10-29-2009, 08:39 PM
dawarf octopus mite get along are there any for sale in alberta? thanks again

sphelps
10-29-2009, 08:51 PM
You'll have to be careful about species selection, if you're just planning on finding a couple creatures and throwing them in a tank together then I would agree with the others. You have to do proper research if you're going to try these two as tank mates, and no this doesn't count as research.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying this may be possible but to pull it off it will take someone with experience with both octopuses and seahorses. For example if you want to find out if something is poisonous do you drink it?

seahorsestarter
10-29-2009, 09:03 PM
thats why i was wondering if they would get along or if any one has these guys in a tank together because red deer reptile told me it was ok and it kinda scares me !!!!! they would look cool together but not cool if the octopus thinks of them as lunch.

Chowder
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Seahorsestarter ,Welcome to Canreef. I'm not sure if I would try to keep a Octo together with a seahorse. A good place to ask that question is tonmo.com a site dedicated to octos and cuttlefish. They have a good understanding to what can be kept safly with octos.

Chris

seahorsestarter
10-29-2009, 09:11 PM
thanks chowder!!!!

findingnemo1
10-29-2009, 09:34 PM
thats why i was wondering if they would get along or if any one has these guys in a tank together because red deer reptile told me it was ok and it kinda scares me !!!!! they would look cool together but not cool if the octopus thinks of them as lunch.

And don't always believe what a LFS has to say and most definetly not the one you are talking about.
Do some research before you jump in to anything....:)

sharuq1
10-30-2009, 02:28 AM
+1 Always research yourself before you buy--it'll save you both money and heartache. Welcome to Canreef seahorsestarter. You are doing the right thing asking questions. :)

rayjay
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
As well as checking out the site for octo's, check out the best for seahorses.
http://www.seahorse.org
Seahorses, while occasionally surviving in reef type settings, have a very poor survivability in those settings.
For increased odds of survival, there are conditions that make it better, but many aren't interested in doing what it takes.
i.e.
Temperature 68° to 74°F max, to lessen the chances of bacterial infestation that they are prone to. (bacteria grow exponentially with each degree rise in temperature)
Species only tank, even to keeping the same species from the same breeding source preferably, as seahorses have grown up living with certain pathogens but many times succumb to pathogens other seahorses/pipefish carry as they haven't built up any immunity to them.
Buy TRUE captive bred tank raised seahorses that haven't encountered seawater. While the "net pen" or "cement container" raised ones come cheap initially, it's not cheap when the odds of loosing them are so much greater, or if you have to buy expensive medicines (some next to impossible to get now in Canada) to try and treat their afflictions.
Unfortunately, most seahorses labeled "tank raised" now come from places like Vietnam that use seawater in cement containers.