PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer? Opinions on if one is necessary.

newreefer_59
10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Have a 150 gallon Reef tank up and running with SPS, LPS and fish. Not much of an issue any longer with algae blooms or the like, but do find myself cleaning the glass almost daily as I am sure is fairly routine for most of us.

Anyway,is a UV Sterilizer necessary as a useful tool - in your experiences and opinions? If so, is it fine kept in the sump or can it be in the main tank.

Appreciate any responses.

Eb0la11
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
tagging along on this one, Im in the same boat as you.

globaldesigns
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
I personally use one, but are they necessary, NO.

The UV will clean the water column, but probably won't do anything for algae that forms on the glass, rock, etc. Also something to consider is that it kills everything that passes through it, so that also means, pods and other critters.

I myself don't have it hooked up to the return, I run a seperate pump and cycle it in the refuge, this way not everything passes through it, but it still serves a purpose.

I hope this helps,

Mrfish55
10-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I run 2 40w lifeguard units on the FOWLR tank and find it helps to keep algae in check (no free floaters to settle and grow) expensive to buy and maintain (need new bulbs every 6-8 months to be most effective) I do not run UV on the reef, I find the normal compliment of clean-up crew do a good enough job.