PDA

View Full Version : prism wanted (Was skilter wanted)

Samw
08-27-2003, 06:06 PM
I want to try a skilter as a 2nd skimmer so that I can skim and use chemipure at the same time. I can replace my Aquaclear then.

Anyone have 1 sitting around in good condition that they want to sell cheap?

Aquattro
08-27-2003, 06:39 PM
very noisy!!

Samw
08-27-2003, 07:14 PM
very noisy!!

Noisier than the Rio 800 venturi?

Aquattro
08-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Sam, not sure, but my LFS has one running and it is really annoying. Spitting and grinding and popping :razz:

Samw
08-28-2003, 01:14 AM
OK then, how about a Prism? Anyone selling one (with the 18 blade injector)? I saw one going for $135 + shipping but J&L sells for $109.

Oh, will also trade for a 36" 96W Coralife Aqualight canopy or a brand new Magnum HOT cannister filter.

Bob I
08-28-2003, 01:27 AM
I want to try a skilter as a 2nd skimmer so that I can skim and use chemipure at the same time. I can replace my Aquaclear then.

Anyone have 1 sitting around in good condition that they want to sell cheap?

I don't think you could use Chemipure in a Prizm, there is no room for it, and the skimmer would probably not wok as a skimmer anymore. FYI, I use an AC 300 for my Chemipure, and am not unhappy with that idea. I think it would be better to use a small Fluval instead though.

Samw
08-28-2003, 01:36 AM
I don't think you could use Chemipure in a Prizm, there is no room for it, and the skimmer would probably not wok as a skimmer anymore. .

An upgrade kit for the Prism is available for adding media. Cool.

http://www.redseafish.com/Product.asp?dir=&catID=93&subID=34&proID=130

EmilyB
08-28-2003, 01:43 AM
I have never used the Pro Skimmer, however the forerunner Prizm went down as one of the biggest POS I have ever owned.

I wouldn't do it Sam. :eek: Put a CPR Bakpak on there if you want the second skimmer thing with room in a chamber.

Samw
08-28-2003, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the warning Em. I sold my BakPak. Doh.

dekay
08-28-2003, 09:23 AM
King Ed has the Prism Pro Deluxe for $280, J&L charges over $300 I believe. Or if Aquafanatics decides to open their doors, then you might find a better deal there cuz of their clearance sale.

Don E
08-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Allow me to put a vote in for the Aqua C, as well. It pulled endless amounts of skunge out of my tank- many people who have used it and the bakpak say the Aqua C is even better. But it ain't super cheap.

d

Samw
08-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I already have an Aqua C Remora and I found the BackPak too big and noisy as my 2nd skimmer. The AquaC is OK but not super great at the moment. Maybe my impeller is worn out. I don't think I need another expensive $250+ skimmer though. Just want a $100 skimmer w/ media chamber. The Prism is $109 at J&L. I have 2 offers at the moment I'm considering and I've put a bid on EBay for a Prism Deluxe.

Samw
09-03-2003, 11:09 PM
King Ed has the Prism Pro Deluxe for $280, J&L charges over $300 I believe. Or if Aquafanatics decides to open their doors, then you might find a better deal there cuz of their clearance sale.

The Prism Pro Deluxe sounds awesome but I don't want to spend that much. The regular Prism was $99 there though which is a great deal.

However, I decided and purchased an airstone driven skimmer. I have been reading that they aren't bad. Lots of people on nano-reef.com use them for their small tanks. They are quiet as well. This is exactly what I want as a second skimmer. I'm going to try it and see how it performs. I really wanted to try the Red Sea Berlin Air Lift but ended up with a medium Lee's Counter Current. The Coralife Super Skimmer I (Co-Current) would have been another good choice as a second skimmer as it could sit in my Aquaclear 200.

My AquaC Remora is currently not collecting anything at all and probably needs another cleaning (was cleaned last month) so I haven't been happy with it lately. With the crazy bioload I have, it should be pulling out tons of gunk.

I'll be sure to report back on the performance of this skimmer.