PDA

View Full Version : Fuge Q's

burrows14
10-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I am thinking of adding fuge to my tank and have a couple of questions. I'm wondering if a hang on is better than a in-sump. What should be in a fuge? also are there pros and cons of having one?

cheers
Ray

lastlight
10-28-2009, 02:47 AM
If I had a fishroom I would have built a fuge that could gravity drain back into the tank. I'm not 100% convinced that a return pump kills every last pod etc as it leaves the fuge but gravity would mean more live food entering the display. I figure with a hang on back style you could maybe have it supported off the back but be higher than the display...

I've heard from some that small fuge's do nothing and I've heard the opposite. I decided to have one again mostly because I used to watch my old one A LOT. When the display tank goes dark I still have an excuse to be hanging around the tank =)

My last one had nothing but Chaeto. This time I'll add some sand and rubble too. Depends if you want to only grow algae or house a thriving pod population although Chaeto makes for great pod-condos alone...

mark
10-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Good reading in Reef Invertebrates (Calfo and Fenner) on fuges.

I've got a separate 20g (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/mush_fuge.jpg) macro fuge with LR for nutrient control, not really using it for pods. Using a PAR38 bulb (https://www.lightbulbemporium.com/proddetail.asp?prod=11150-ML), simple.

Thumbs up to Dez for a great layout (his old system)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/ref-1.jpg
(hope you don't mind)

burrows14
10-28-2009, 04:14 AM
i like what you both recommended but i dont have anywhere have anywhere to put one above the tank and no room under the tank and I for sure dont have a fish lol(next house for sure!lol) maybe ill have to scrap the idea of a fuge for this tank. With the room i have it would have to be either the hang on or build a new sump with one.

cheers
Ray

Eb0la11
10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Whats the benefit of rubble in a refugium and what kind do most of you put in? I just started my fuge and its about 13G only but I have a 5" DSB and some Chaeto along with two nice pieces of LR. What else could I throw in there thats a good idea?

lastlight
10-28-2009, 06:04 AM
I don't even know if rubble is a good idea. I suppose it may trap some detritus but I figure the pods and critters might do better with some in there for 'homes'.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Myka
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
It depends what you want the fuge for. If you want it for nutrient export, then it can be hooked inline with your sump. If you want it for pod growth, then HOB or gravity fed is better. Size and what you put in it also depends what you want it for. For nutrient export, I would suggest at least 10% of the system's volume, but for pods you can get away with a gallon or two (or more if wanted), and the inhabitants will vary.

Reefer Rob
10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
I had a gravity return fuge on my last tank. It was impossible to get it to stop making bubbles when it fed back into the tank, which made a mess of my lights when they popped. My fuge now is just a divider in the sump.