PDA

View Full Version : How do mandarin's sleep? FYI he was just sleeping :o)

fishoholic
10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
My mandarin usually sleeps in the sand, but this morning he was half floating half swimming near the top of the tank and seemed oblivious to everything, Steve cuped his hand right around him and he didn't notice, also the light from the flashlight didn't phase him. Sort of freaked me out because at first I thought he was dead, but his gills were still moving and his side fins were moving, however his body was sort of curved in a U shape and he wasn't moving his tail.

Then I was worried maybe he was sick or something, but when I came back to look into the tank again (to see if he was still floating at the top) there was no sign of him. I'm hoping he was just alseep and that he's not sick and that he woke up and is now hidding in the sand or rocks.

Anyone ever heard of or seen their mandarin sleep like that?

Delphinus
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
They ARE pretty deep sleepers for fish..

I have FW loaches that do the same thing. Float around on their sides when asleep and you totally think something's up .. but then they wake up.

Hope that's all it is with yours..

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-27-2009, 10:04 PM
My observation on Mandarins during sleep is that their color go drabby almost pale. They curl up in semi circular fashion and are typically found nestled against a piece of rock or the corner of the tank.

If you shine a light on them, you actually stun them and they do not swim away. This is the best way to catch a fish by the way. Before the lights go on, have a net ready and once the lights go on the fish are stunned/blinded and because they are sleepy are too groggy to react and swim away.

I have caught many difficult fish this way and it eliminates a lot of stress then chasing them around the tank when they are fully awake.

You also might find a film of silk around them; this is secreted from their body to hide their scent from predators just like the six line wrasse does.

This is purely my observation only and the opinions are my own. I am not replying to this thread to promote my business. :mrgreen:

fishytime
10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
This is purely my observation only and the opinions are my own. I am not replying to this thread to promote my business. :mrgreen:

To funny:lol:

fishoholic
10-27-2009, 11:34 PM
My observation on Mandarins during sleep is that their color go drabby almost pale. They curl up in semi circular fashion and are typically found nestled against a piece of rock or the corner of the tank.

If you shine a light on them, you actually stun them and they do not swim away. This is the best way to catch a fish by the way. Before the lights go on, have a net ready and once the lights go on the fish are stunned/blinded and because they are sleepy are too groggy to react and swim away.

I have caught many difficult fish this way and it eliminates a lot of stress then chasing them around the tank when they are fully awake.

You also might find a film of silk around them; this is secreted from their body to hide their scent from predators just like the six line wrasse does.

Thank-you so much for sharing. When I frist saw him floating I thought maybe he was dead and since the tank lights were out and it was dark in the basement I got a flashlight out to get a better look at him. I must of stunned him and that's why he didn't swim away right away, that totally makes sense, and it is a good idea for the future if I ever need to catch a fish.

Again thank-you for sharing I was pretty freaked out this morning when I first saw him that way.

fishoholic
10-28-2009, 01:33 AM
So I'm very relieved to say when I got home my mandarin seems totally fine and is swimming around like normal. I must of stunned him when I shined the light on him.

Delphinus
10-28-2009, 02:00 AM
good to hear :)

lastlight
10-28-2009, 02:15 AM
To funny:lol:

good to hear :)

Doug go read the 'what bugs you?' thread. This must have been covered already. Tony for the win.

mike31154
10-28-2009, 05:58 AM
My mandarin(s) are totally out of sight once it gets sufficiently dark in the tank. They find a spot in the rockwork, so the catch at night with a light scenario is not going to work for me. Surprised to hear of others experiences of these guys sleeping out in the open on the sand. The only critters with fins that are visible in my tank after lights out are the Maroon Clowns, nestled into the BTA. All the rest are in the rockwork.

Chaloupa
10-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Mine have done this...and I too thought they were dead...and they're just fine! WEIRD