PDA

View Full Version : External pumps really add that much heat?

banditpowdercoat
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
OK, I'm still having heat issues on my 150g tank. I'm wondering if it's pumps? The 45g seems to stay at 78 and need heaters at night, where the 150 is still up to 80+ during day, and maybe 78-79 at night. heres the lowdown on them

The 45g has
1 mag 350 run external
1 quiet one run internal
1 Ehiem 1040 run internal
1 Koralia 2 powerhead
4 24W T5 lights

the 150g has
Dolphin AmpMaster 3000 external
Little Giant 4 Mqdx external
maxi-jet 400 and 900 on skimmer, internal
2 150W pendants
1 250W pendants

Both tanks are open tops and closed up sump cabinets. Except the 150, I have to keep the sump door open or else it won't cool past 79. I know the act of pumping produces some heat, but there is little head on both pumps. Could it just be the sump cabinet ambient heat? I do have a 4" computer fan sucking air into the sump where the pumps are, and another 4" blowing down across the sump water. Also, there is a 6" clip on desk fan that comes on/off with the lights on top of the tank.

I'm just loosing over 1g a day on the 150 and it's causing alot of moisture in the house. If I cover tank to reduce evap, then the temp climbs... can't afford a chiller, nor do I have space for one.

sphelps
10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
The major difference is actually a result from the volume, the 45 gallon cools quicker and easier because the total volume of water is lower. The 150 gallon will get most of the heat from the lighting but it takes more effort to extract that heat because of the higher volume. Try maintaining your 150 temp at 80F instead of 78F. This will increase the temperature gradient of the tank and the room and reduce the temperature gradient of the tank and the lighting, this will result in a lower overall temperature swing.

The pumps are adding little heat, experiment if you like by keeping the lights off one day and monitoring the temperature. Also try turning off one of the pumps in a separate experiment if possible.

whatcaneyedo
10-27-2009, 04:26 PM
What is the ambient temperature in your house where the tanks are?

banditpowdercoat
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
can't turn off the pumps, they are only means of flow. One for closed loop, other for sump.

Russell, House temp is 71 day, 65 night. It's not the temp swings i'm really worried about, it's the evaporation. I know theres gona be evap, but 1-1.5g a day? That's alot of water into my air, and walls, carpets etc.

sphelps
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
can't turn off the pumps, they are only means of flow. One for closed loop, other for sump.

Russell, House temp is 71 day, 65 night. It's not the temp swings i'm really worried about, it's the evaporation. I know theres gona be evap, but 1-1.5g a day? That's alot of water into my air, and walls, carpets etc.
You could certainly turn off the closed loop pump for a day to verify it doesn't add significant heat. Same as turning of lights for one day but to verify they do add significant heat.

Only way to stop evaporation is by using lids. To prevent moisture build up in the house you can either vent out the humid air or use a dehumidifier. If it's that much of a concern and you can't afford the fixes you need to rethink your tanks. You could downsize or change the larger one into a fish only with lower lighting and lids.

Tom R
10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
the 150g has
Dolphin AmpMaster 3000 external
Little Giant 4 Mqdx external
maxi-jet 400 and 900 on skimmer, internal
2 150W pendants
1 250W pendants

Neither of the External Pumps that you are using are known for increasing the heat within the tank. They may add heat to the room however it shouldn't be enough to increase the water temp.

The increase in the water temp is probably a result of the Lighting.

It is very difficult to reduce the amount of evaporation and still have a healthy tank.

It will probably be much easier to control the evaporation with water top off and ventilation.

Tom R

StirCrazy
10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
It's not the temp swings i'm really worried about, it's the evaporation. I know theres gona be evap, but 1-1.5g a day? That's alot of water into my air, and walls, carpets etc.

run a chiller, this is the best way to reduce the amount of evap. on my 90 I went from 5gal a day evap to 2.5 by running a chiller and getting rid of the fans, also reaiming your powerheads to reduce the amount of surface agatation will help.

Steve

BMW Rider
10-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I agree, it most likely the lights adding the heat not the pumps. My 135 runs much warmer with the MH lights on it than my 50 with just CF light. The 50 needs heaters on to keep the temp up in spite of having all submersed pumps and powerheads. The 135 needs fans to keep the temp down once the lights come on.

iansfishy
10-28-2009, 12:04 AM
what are you worried about? its gonna be minus 30 in a month. hold out, youll be buying more heaters soon!

banditpowdercoat
10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
what are you worried about? its gonna be minus 30 in a month. hold out, youll be buying more heaters soon!

LOL, Ian, true.

Ya I guess I just don't realize how much heat the MH produce. Hopefully this winter I'll sell all my 150's and 175's, get just 1 more 250 and a Lumenarc, and a couple T5's. ohh build a canopy and vent outside too LOL

Myka
10-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Skimmers add quite a lot to evaporation too. I just hooked up my sump and skimmer, and I now have 2 degrees warmer, and just under 1 gallon per day evaporation. I have a Poseidon pump though, and they are notorious for adding heat since they are water-cooled, not fan cooled.

KrazyKuch
10-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Ummmm the 400Watts of light over top has a huge effect....if you put fans blowing through your reflector across the bulbs will help keep that heat away from the water!!!!

banditpowdercoat
10-28-2009, 05:08 AM
I do have fan's Kevin.

hillegom
10-28-2009, 05:34 AM
When I finish my new stand project it will have two of these fans.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34073&vpn=FN-TX12-15&manufacture=Gelid Solutions Ltd.
I read about them here on canreef, another member is using them as well. They have a thermal remote switch. From what I can remember the fan turns on at 22 deg at 1000rpm and ramps up from there to a max of 1500 rpm 12V, 58CFM, 12-25.5 dBA
Hopefully they will keep my cabinet cool

Edit: Paste this complete line as it reads into your browser
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34073&vpn=FN-TX12-15&manufacture=Gelid Solutions Ltd.

banditpowdercoat
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
OK, for the last 2 days, I have been running the tank 0 lights. Just the 2 External pumps. No heaters either, and it's STILL running 80* Checked the thermo in my other tank, within a degree. Unplug the Little Giant 4 and temp drops to 79 after a few hrs.

Just WOW, there's no real head restriction in both pumps, and no water to motor contact. They are both external pumps, air cooled. But yet they ARE adding alot of heat. I'm baffled how that much heat can be entering the tank. House is kept 70/day 65/night

vessey
11-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Have you checked the ambient tempature inside the cabinets? Since you said you have to keep the 150's cabinet door open a bit it sounds like you need more air flow through the cabinets. You could check it by just keeping the doors open for a day.

banditpowdercoat
11-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Door's have to remain open. Cabinet does get warm. I guess to warm LOL. more fan's more fan's