PDA

View Full Version : clownfish changing sex

Starry
10-27-2009, 06:45 AM
I had to pull my female black and white clown today in order to hospitalize her for what I am thinking is velvet. Its mainly on her....face? and eyes so shes having trouble seeing. (shes the only one with symptoms, go figure.)

My question is will the smaller male change to a female in the 3-4 weeks I plan on isolating the female? Im hoping when I reintroduce them there wont b any problems.

rkelman
10-27-2009, 11:06 PM
No your male won't change sex. I assume he is now the only clown in the tank?

fishytime
10-27-2009, 11:24 PM
+1 no your male will need hormone therapy and then there is a whole series of operations:mrgreen: all kidding asside you should be ok with three to four weeks.

Starry
10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
No your male won't change sex. I assume he is now the only clown in the tank?

Yep, little guy is the only clown in the tank.

Starry
10-28-2009, 12:20 AM
On a side note, The two clowns dont look alot alike. I thought all black and white clowns had rounded tails? Hers is flat at the end, and her fins are yellow as well as her tail. The male is only black and white with a rounded tail.

I dont hold alot of hope for her as she cant see to eat. Unless her eyes clear up fast Im afraid she might starve. Been target feeding her squid and mysis soaked in garlic extreme but she misses 99% of the time.

vaporize
10-28-2009, 02:23 AM
I had to pull my female black and white clown today in order to hospitalize her for what I am thinking is velvet. Its mainly on her....face? and eyes so shes having trouble seeing. (shes the only one with symptoms, go figure.)

My question is will the smaller male change to a female in the 3-4 weeks I plan on isolating the female? Im hoping when I reintroduce them there wont b any problems.

If it is velvet, I would be more worry about quarantine and treating all the fish in the aquarium; if it is velvet, it will kill almost all the fish in the tank. It needs to be treated with copper as typical hyposalinity treatment down to 1.009 will not work for velvet.

Let's hope it's just ich.

Starry
10-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Im treating the clown with mal. (nox ich) green as shes the only sick one. even the tang is ok. not even sure its a parasite at this point. if shes still alive will post pix in 2 weeks.

vaporize
10-29-2009, 04:42 AM
malachite green is only effective towards parasitic infections, mainly in clearing the gills. If it's velvet you will know sooner or later.