PDA

View Full Version : what test kit to use?

dekay
08-27-2003, 05:13 AM
i'm looking for a test kit that's $50 and under.

StirCrazy
08-27-2003, 05:20 AM
to test for what?

Steve

dekay
08-27-2003, 05:39 AM
something like the hagen master test kit? something that tests the basics.

Aquattro
08-27-2003, 05:54 AM
something like the hagen master test kit? something that tests the basics.

I guess we need to know what the "basics" are to you. To me, it's Ca and alk. Each kit is in the $20 range for Salifert.

dekay
08-27-2003, 05:57 AM
i guess i mainly want to know if the hagen's any good. that one seems to cover pH, alk, ca, nitrate, and nitrate. i thought i'm suppose to monitor those when i cycle a new tank.

Aquattro
08-27-2003, 06:00 AM
To cycle a tank, I'd recommend ammonia and nitrite. When the nitrite is gone, you're good to go. I always forget about pH since I have a meter.

I personally don't like Hagen, but most people here have responded favorably in the past. I guess they can't allbe wrong (or can they? :biggrin: ). I use Salifert, like I said before, for my Ca and alk. I don't currently test anything else. J&L have a couple of test kit brands, so maybe check there also.

Doug
08-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I have used Hagen for ammonia and nitrite. Seem fine for that. I also like the Salifert for calcium & alk. I am currently using a Seachem calcium. Seems pretty good, except for the ro water mixing thingy. I think Seachem makes a large, do many things, type kit.

Jack
08-27-2003, 02:43 PM
I use Salifert for Ca and Alk. I am not a huge fan of Hagen test kits.

Tropical Paradise
08-28-2003, 01:42 AM
I use Salifert for Ca and Alk. I am not a huge fan of Hagen test kits.

Ditto!

EmilyB
08-28-2003, 01:47 AM
Those dipstick testkits have a good reputation, for the preliminary things you are looking at when cycling, and are very convenient. Once you cycle, you shouldn't be doing that again........with any luck. (Well till the next tank...)

:mrgreen:

Then Salifert is my usual choice as well.

fishnut
08-28-2003, 02:10 AM
I bought a master test kit when I set up my first tank. It was expensive, and after the tank was cycled, I found I didn't use it much anymore. My recommendation would be to buy individual test kits from Salifert as you need them.

Once I tried SeaChem, and couldn't even get the reference sample to test out right.

After trying to determine pH readings from colors which were essentially the same for different values, I bought a pH monitor, which I find much easier to use.

Salifert is my first choice for Ca and Alk testing, and apparently they are soon to be including reference samples, according to Habib on Reef Central. If you have any questions about the Salifert test kits or their use, you can send a message to Habib on the rc board.

StirCrazy
08-28-2003, 07:22 AM
I like sailfert for all my kits except the nitrate and the phosphate. these two I think a hagen would be just as good.

Steve

Canadian Man
08-28-2003, 03:10 PM
All my test kit's are hagen and they work great.
Just follow the instrucitons :biggrin:

Aquattro
08-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Just follow the instrucitons :biggrin:

That must be where I went wrong!! Go figure :razz:

Samw
08-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Shake solution hard before using it.

I read once that Salifert kits have expiry dates of about a year or something. After that, the readings become inaccurate. However, they don't stamp the kits with an expiry date. Any truth to that or is this something that's true for all brands?

Quinn
08-28-2003, 04:55 PM
The Hagen pH test kit sucks, but then again, I'm sure most pH test kits suck.