PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting rid of surgery scars?

freezetyle
10-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Well ive recently had surgery and was left with a wicked (both cool and damn thats going to be on my body) scar. Does any one have good advice on how to make them heal up and become a little less noticable besides rubbing vitamin E oil on them?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/freezetyle/DSCN0070.jpg

and sorry about the bandage in the photo still partially healing from everything

sphelps
10-27-2009, 03:30 AM
You could finish or add to your tatoo ;)

freezetyle
10-27-2009, 04:12 AM
I've thought about this. the only problem is that the ink doesn't really take all that well on the scar tissue

the marine apprentice
10-27-2009, 04:15 AM
after your scar heals up for the most part a tat should blend in fairly decent.. i have one on my shoulder that used to be a huge scar from a bmx crash when i was younger and it turned out really good. it just took a while to heal before i got the tat

04scoobysti
10-27-2009, 04:27 AM
I tried a few of the creams, They're ok. I found massaging the scar once it had healed very beneficial, it stimulates blood flow and i noticed it softened up the scar alot.

As for tattooing the scar i wouldn't. I'd come close to it and maybe hide it that way,
but if the skin of the scar is thin from stretching after surgery i wouldn't let a tattoo gun anywhere near it (I have Tattoos, so its not like im biased)

So yeah, i'd stick to a cream and massaging it. I have head that Mederma is a good product and works well.
Other than that, having another surgery is the only other way to get rid of a bad scar. Even then you will still have a scar, only much thinner.

The scars i have from a plastic surgeon no one can see unless i point them out where my others from regular surgery are noticeable.

ElGuappo
10-27-2009, 05:40 AM
massage the scar often which should keep it from swelling out permenantly and yoiu could try udder cream, yes its for cows but it does wonders on stretch marks etc.

PS if going to put a tat on it wait till it heals or the ink will run. or so i have been told.

JPotter
10-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Tissue takes time to reorganize and settle down. You can occupy your time with various things...massage, creams, cold laser etc but in the end tissue needs time to reorganize. When sutured minimizing tissue tension, careful apposition of tissue edges and the type of suture used helps to minimize the width of new tissue. In the mean time avoid UV radiation as it will delay tissue organization.

Sebae again
10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Vitamin E, zink and when a model rocket blew up in my brothers face, I believe the doctor prescribed a cream containing silver nitrate or silver some thing. Cant remember as that was 30 years ago but he ended up with no scaring.

robert
10-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Maybe http://www.ehow.com/how_4474797_get-rid-surgical-scars.html?

Mr.nintendo
10-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Vitamin E works wonders, when I get tattoo clients coming in that have scars that are either to fresh or still very pink I usually tell them to massage the tattoo twice a day with it to help.

There's many other methods, to many really to type here your best bet it so research online or just try the Vit.E

The issue with tattooing scars is if not fully settled pigment can actually spread through them... Suddenly the tattoo that is supposed to cover the scar brings it out even more.

Another option I use personally and know many who have is Emu oil : http://www.emuoilcanada.com/

It's a really great working alternative and I've used it on some big scars, same as the Vit.E just massaging it into the scar a few times a day. Breaks up the scar tissue quick and helps everything settle

Skimmerking
10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
i have a 12" scar on my back from excessive Army operations from carrying heavy back packs exceeding 120lbs and up to jumping out of air planes to you name it my scar almost cost me my legs and having it there is a small reminder of how lucky that i am to walk let alone run again. Long distance running is my favorite past time to.... but hey its a great conversation piece thou. I dont know why yours is there but hey none of my business. may be some things are just left alone..:biggrin:

christyf5
10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
IMO polysporin cream is one of the best things. I know you probably don't need the antibiotic part at this point but theres some magic in that cream. Not the ointment though, thats just gross :razz:

freezetyle
10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Thans for the reply's. yea i its about 12" long i have Ulcerative colitis and had to get a large portion of my large intestine removed (all of it). so i guess the scar is the least of my worries. Im so solider, so ill have to come up with an interesting story to tell people. haha

JPotter
10-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Vitamin E, zink and when a model rocket blew up in my brothers face, I believe the doctor prescribed a cream containing silver nitrate or silver some thing. Cant remember as that was 30 years ago but he ended up with no scaring.
If it was a burn it would have likely been silver sulfadiazine...used on open not healed tissue.

G1GY
10-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Wait untill it's fully healed and then see how severe the scar is. Some scars tattoo fairly well. Also, some raised scars also flatten out when tattooed with larger (Mag) needle groupings. If you want to stop by after your healed, I'd be happy to give you an honest opinion. How about tattooing a zipper over the scar? j/k

I hope you heal well.:)

freezetyle
10-29-2009, 05:15 AM
If you want to stop by after your healed, I'd be happy to give you an honest opinion. How about tattooing a zipper over the scar? j/k

I hope you heal well.:)
haha one of my friends suggested the same thing! I am definatly not doing anything durastic to it yet as it had only been about 3 months since I got it. But later on down the road I would not mind another opinion. Do you tattoo out of a shop here in town?

Jyman
10-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Thats really not that bad of a scar. it will heal up nice.

My grandfather had a scar just like it, and after it healed it looked like yours but almost all of the red was gone from it. But my girlfriends scar is really bad looking compared to your. She had the same thing done when she was about 1 day old and the scar just never really healed that nicely.

freezetyle
10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Thats really not that bad of a scar. it will heal up nice.

My grandfather had a scar just like it, and after it healed it looked like yours but almost all of the red was gone from it. But my girlfriends scar is really bad looking compared to your. She had the same thing done when she was about 1 day old and the scar just never really healed that nicely.

I am by no means complaining about the wounds i got. i know that it could have ended up being a lot worse. a few of my friends have scars from a few years ago that don't even look close to how my turned up. its really amazing what we can do now in terms of leaving as little of a trace as possible.

i would much rather have a line (or zipper) down my stomach then the condition its self,

Myka
10-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Imo there is no magic cream or oil. I tried them all. I even tried a $250 scar cream and it didn't work any better than Polysporin cream. Joke's on me. :lol:

I have a scar on my arm from a chainsaw where I got 13 stitches on the inside and 21 on the outside (luckily it didn't get me too bad). It's about 6" long. It was a nasty scar before, but I had surgery done where a plastic surgeon (instead of the nip n hack emergency surgeon) cut out the old scar and sewed it back up in some funky way where the stitches weren't visible from the outside. It was called Scar Revision. It healed up really nice after that. I think I have some before and after shots I will try to find for you...

EDIT: Ok I found them...
WARNING: WOUND PHOTO

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/46353/1049446207033310487S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/44712/1050512269033310487S600x600Q85.jpg

The spot the plastic surgeon cut out:
http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/43561/1103686953033310487S600x600Q85.jpg

Today (11 years after initial wound, 8 years after scar revision):
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Oct292009.jpg

iansfishy
10-30-2009, 02:19 AM
nothings going to help. Its all about the way the body responds. Believe me Im covered in scars. Its not like its a c - section scar and you have to get into a bikini! come on your a dude...

G1GY
10-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Do you tattoo out of a shop here in town?

Blood Ink and Steel tattoo. One level of my home is also a fully equipped studio.:)

BMW Rider
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
How about tattooing a zipper over the scar?

I had that thought for the scar on my ankle. All it needs is the pull tab since the staples left a nice zipper effect all ready. :lol:

scar_11
11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Scars are tattoos with just good Stories.

I have had 253 staples and stiches I have a couple scars