PDA

View Full Version : Diy rock-what cement?

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a few months until my young Greenspotted Puffer will be in marine water so I thought I would make rock this time and get exactly the pieces I want. I know it takes a long time to cure! I can't find the portland cement that everyone seems to recommend. Any other type that should work well?

Dez
10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
You don't have to get the white Portland Cement. Go to Home Depot or Rona and buy a bag of general purpose portland 10 cement. It's about $11 - 12/bag. It's really heavy. The only difference is that it's grey instead of white. I made some and have it in my tank and most people can't tell the difference. My coraline algae hasn't even really kicked in yet either. Hope this helps.

Borderjumper
10-26-2009, 06:27 PM
White cement is best, as it has less contaminates.. which is why its white. It also has less silicates.

I have a big bag of it. The only place I could find it was at some hardware place that starts with an S.. sorry I dont remember off hand.. I can split it with you if you like. I made walls for my nano and it turned out really well. It took 6 weeks to cure and to get the PH down from like 14 to 7ish.

Lemme know

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I think for now I will just keep looking around for it. I doubt its worth shipping considering it should be cheap. I did find another white cement at home depot but I'm not sure its safe. I forget the name now too.

If I can't find any, maybe I will talk to you about getting some of yours. Thanks for the offer!

fkshiu
10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
White cement is best, as it has less contaminates.. which is why its white. It also has less silicates.

I have a big bag of it. The only place I could find it was at some hardware place that starts with an S.. sorry I dont remember off hand.. I can split it with you if you like. I made walls for my nano and it turned out really well. It took 6 weeks to cure and to get the PH down from like 14 to 7ish.

Lemme know

I think you are referring to Steels. Two locations: Burnaby and Surrey.

plutoniumJoe
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Last time I got some it was from Vancouver Brick and Block. They used to be 1st and Boundary. I don't know where they moved to. I may still have half a bag if it hasn't solidified I can donate to your cause.

A great way to cure small sized rocks is to put them in the bank of your toilet tank. Each time you flush they get a fresh bath.

BTW Glad to see you back GSP.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I think you are referring to Steels. Two locations: Burnaby and Surrey.

Thanks Franklin, I will call them and see if they have it.

StirCrazy
10-26-2009, 11:56 PM

the only noticable differance between white and grey cement is white is twice the price.

here is a Q&A right from Portlands website

"
What is white portland cement?
White portland cement has essentially the same properties as gray cement, except for color, which is a very important quality control issue in the industry. It is readily available throughout North America.
The color of white cement depends on raw materials and the manufacturing process. It is the metal oxides (primarily iron and manganese) that influence the whiteness and undertone of the material. White cement is manufactured to conform to ASTM C 150, Specification for Portland Cement. Although Types I, II, III, and V white cements are produced, Types I and III are the most common."

FYI, you need silica in any cement as one of the 4 basic ingreadiance, so you will never find cement with out silica.

Steve

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Last time I got some it was from Vancouver Brick and Block. They used to be 1st and Boundary. I don't know where they moved to. I may still have half a bag if it hasn't solidified I can donate to your cause.

A great way to cure small sized rocks is to put them in the bank of your toilet tank. Each time you flush they get a fresh bath.

BTW Glad to see you back GSP.

Ok I will look into them.

The plan was only to take a few months break and grow up a Greenspotted puffer from fresh water to marine. I was never actually without a tank :)

Going to be much simpler this time though (not much if any sps). Going back to the simple "lagoon" style tank with macro and softies.

Delphinus
10-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Hey GSP, nice to hear from you. :D

Ron99
10-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Welcome back. Your six line wrasse healed from the anemone stings and is doing really well. I think it is enjoying all the rockwork in the 75 gallon tank :)

Fishward
10-27-2009, 03:47 AM
i built my wall with a product called EMACO R400 architectural. It is the same as what everyone refers to as "Thorite" but that brand is no longer available. It cures relatively fast, and i havent noticed any ph problems in my tank yet. Any swimming pool mortar would work as well so if you call a local pool repair shop they might be able to recommend a product.

plutoniumJoe
10-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Fishward. I love the look of your wall. It reminds me of the structures that the Rain Forest Cafe have. I think the EMACO R400 might be worth a try due to it's smooth texture. I would imagine though that any lime based cement is going to have PH issues.

Fishward
10-27-2009, 04:03 AM
thanks Joe... fairly easy to do.. really wanted to mimic a reefwall in a really limited space so i couldn't stack... all you have to do is make sure you cure it underwater for a significant amount of time and once you change the water and you dont see a ph change for a week or so, start on salt water and do the same...

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks guys.

I am just making a very small amount of rock for the tank so I dont want to buy a huge bag of concrete. I want to try a real lagoon type tank this time with very little LR and a hell of a lot of sand.

It would probably be better to just use LR but I kind of want to make the shapes exactly how I want :)

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Hey GSP, nice to hear from you. :D

Hey Tony!

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Welcome back. Your six line wrasse healed from the anemone stings and is doing really well. I think it is enjoying all the rockwork in the 75 gallon tank :)

That's awesome! Im glad he is doing well.

spoot
10-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I was going to make some rock as well but haven't had the time. I've got two bags of water softerner pellets that you can use. Just let me know when.

Haven't taken any new pictures, but just to let you know, the DF is doing very well.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
I was going to make some rock as well but haven't had the time. I've got two bags of water softerner pellets that you can use. Just let me know when.

Haven't taken any new pictures, but just to let you know, the DF is doing very well.

Good to hear! Maybe I can come by someday soon and see him. Let me know when you have time.

Did you get the cement yet for your rock?

spoot
10-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Nope, just haven't had time. And really, don't need any more rock.

Weekends is best, but we are all the way out in Burnaby. If you need a trip to J&L, we are pretty close and I can come give you a lift.

Steve_the_nucks_fan
02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Look it on you tube rickets 90g built he has simple rock making that I'm planning on doing.