PDA

View Full Version : 17Gal shallow LPS dominated tank

lorenz0
10-26-2009, 02:38 AM
So as a few of you may remember i was hoping to start a LPS dominated tank due to issues in my 60gal SPS/zoa dominated tank. Well today I lucked out and was able to get a killer deal on this cool tank which is even better than what i was hoping to make. Thanks to Binare for the amazing deal.

So the tank measures at 36" long, 12" deep and 9" tall with a 20gal tall sump. So going to give it a good scrub tomorrow and look for a return pump.

As for lighting I am still not sure what i want to do. debating if a 2x39watt retro will be enough or go with 4x39watt t5's with 2 pure actinic's, 1 22,000k and a 14,000k. flow will be checked once its running and probably will add a vortech mp10 down the road but for now a korilia 1 or a nano will have to do till than.

For live stock this tank will be dominated by acan's, open brains, torch's, challice's. as for fish i really haven't decided.

For aqua scaping, i am going for the open look with only rubble showing. I have some dry rock kicking around and will have most of my rock in the sump.

should have it up and running by the weekend with the cycle starting.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/DSCN6440.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/DSCN6442.jpg

fishytime
10-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Now theres a cool looking little tank....whatchagonnado for lighting? How much flow are looking for from a return? I may have something, if you wernt looking for large amounts a flow through the sump.

lorenz0
10-26-2009, 03:34 AM
well it has only a 3/4" return so i am going to keep the flow from the return lower. I think anything more than 500gph to the return would be to much. why whatcha got?

lighting, still debating. it gets hot upstairs so probably will stick with the t5's. i think a nova extreme would be good for the tank

Ryan
10-26-2009, 04:30 AM
I spotted that this morning and was kicking myself for not being in Calgary.

lastlight
10-26-2009, 05:53 AM
That looks like a pretty unique little tank. Looking forward to seeing this take shape!

And what ARE those posters on the wall there. PAN UP so we can see!

*UPDATE*

I tracked the one on the right down. Haha! You GOTTA be single dude...

lorenz0
10-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Tomorrow is a big day for it. if all goes well i will have water in it, just looking for a return pump and get the return pumping set up.

yes single and loving it, ha ha ha i can't believe you tracked that one down.

Ryan
10-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Its now 2:33 in the morning, I have read half this guys stories and I must thank you lorenzo I havent cried laughing so hard in a LOOONG time.

Skimmerking
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
love the little tank man , looks like its going to be a great LPS may be a few blood shrimp in there. IMO they alway add color in a tank. may be a small clam too. fire fish wold look great in there may be a couple of leopard wrasses.

lorenz0
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Its now 2:33 in the morning, I have read half this guys stories and I must thank you lorenzo I havent cried laughing so hard in a LOOONG time.

I thought someone would catch that link before i took it down. All of my friends enjoyed them but that awesome you had a good laugh over it ha ha ha the sushi pants story is one of my favorites cause thats something i have basically done. So for a few good laughs, here is ths link again (ladies be warned, i have had mix reviews from many girls but remember its litature) http://www.tuckermax.com/

love the little tank man , looks like its going to be a great LPS may be a few blood shrimp in there. IMO they alway add color in a tank. may be a small clam too. fire fish wold look great in there may be a couple of leopard wrasses.

I have always wanted a blood shrimp, cool little guys. one thing i like about this nano is the length. thanks for the comments, and will keep those suggestions on file.

Binare
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Nice to the tank already planned out. I only planned on 300G through the overflow so I just had em build it with 3/4". I had a 4X39 over it... Was way too much light for everything but my sps. I wanted to keep it but the wife got sick of lookin at it hehe... She always seems to win. Good luck and ill be tagging along for sure.

lorenz0
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice to the tank already planned out. I only planned on 300G through the overflow so I just had em build it with 3/4"

Thanks again, and 300gph worked out perfectly. today I picked up a sedra 2500 (250gph) as my return pump, thanks to red coral and for all the fittings i needed to complete the return. But that won't be all the flow in the tank, i am cheating on my love for tunze products on this one.

As for lighting I am still looking, I would prefer to find something like a 4x39watt sundial used but if I need to buy new I am looking at the nova extreme 2x39watt ($120 give or take) with some good bulbs and than down the road upgrade to something better in the new year.

As it stands now water is going in and i am cleaning the sand. will be adding my intank LR and power head on thursday or friday.

Also was thinking about making this a pearly jaw fish tank but at the same time i want to have a shallow sand bed so i will have to see how everything plays out.

mseepman
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
So for a few good laughs, here is ths link again (ladies be warned, i have had mix reviews from many girls but remember its litature) http://www.tuckermax.com/

Holy crap...I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. That has to be one of the greatest links of all time.

lorenz0
10-27-2009, 04:53 AM
^^^

ha ha ha which one was your favorite? There is this one that is only in the book where he goes to a hockey game and gets in a fight with the mascott and has a picture of it to.

so water is in the tank, might need more flow than the 250gph pump due to very low flow in the sump. starting to think about something in the 400-500gph range

JDigital
10-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Ocean Runner 2500?

lorenz0
10-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Ocean Runner 2500?

OR2500 might be a bit much. I am going to figure it out once the powerhead is on which will be friday :biggrin:

lorenz0
11-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Quick update, will get pictures soon.

I upgraded the return pump to a 540gph pump but am thinking that the 1/2" return hose maye be restricting so i may be looking into upgrading it to a 3/4" hose. it is using a reducer at the bulkhead from a 3/4"-1/2" so shouldn't be to hard to do. Also added some live rock in and going for the open water look.

Now to the fun part, picked up a vortech mp10 tonight. loving it. looking forward to seeing how it holds up to my tunze 6055's

Still looking for a light, as it stands i may be picking up a TEK 4x39watt and running some AS 17500k duo's with GE pure actinic's so the colors from the LPS should pop out.

Skimmerking
11-04-2009, 01:09 AM
well come on man i need pictures now :biggrin:

lorenz0
11-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Was waiting for the battery to charge. I just wish i had a better light for this tank. I will grab a picture of the guts once i have the wiring firgure out. Compared to my other build this one will be alot slower.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/DSCN6522.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/DSCN6523.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/DSCN6521.jpg

Skimmerking
11-04-2009, 02:28 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm new tank cycle MMMMMMMMMMMMMMm