PDA

View Full Version : Widowed Percula Clown

targa81
10-26-2009, 12:58 AM
My female lost her mate tonight. They were mated for years and spawned regularly.I'd like to find her another male but don't know if she'll take just anyone and sexing isn't obvious to me unless fish are already paired off.Any suggestions? So sad to see her looking for her mate...

karazy
10-26-2009, 01:18 AM
i'd say just get a clown smaller than her, and add him in. you may want to float the new one in a breeder box for a few days so she can get used to him and also interested in him.

Delphinus
10-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Essentially what you want is a tiny one, he will be terrified into submission and thus staying male. There will be fireworks, but basically the bigger the size difference, the faster it will end. Ie., it sounds mean to get a little one so that he'll be scared but once he accepts that he's the male, it should become a pairing again (I've done this and it worked out). If you get one close to the same size, there may be more aggression as they try to fight out who gets to be dominant.

targa81
10-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks, I might try that. I wasn't sure when exactly they could change sex but I guess the smaller the better.

munsagpin
10-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks, I might try that. I wasn't sure when exactly they could change sex but I guess the smaller the better.

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!:sad:

rkelman
10-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Yup get a small one. Juvie's have no sex so it will become male. She should take to a new mate ok. Perc's aren't too mean usually. (compared to say a maroon or tomato)