PDA

View Full Version : Low Salinity??

Reef_surfer
10-25-2009, 11:21 PM
i just did my weekly tests today and noticed my salinity was really low compared to last week. it dropped from 1.023 to 1.016 i have had to do a couple top ups inbetween tests IMO bc of no lid or cover for the tank.
Would this be the reason of the Salinity drop?? also i believe i have to top up almost 1 gallon of water

Doug
10-25-2009, 11:28 PM
If anything, salinity increases during evaporation. Thats why regular top off is needed to keep it stable. If one skims wet and removes a decent amount of wet skim, which is basically salt water, and you replace it with your fresh water top off, then the salinity will slowly decrease.

PuffLuv
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
What is the size of your tank, and what do you use to test your salinity?

Reef_surfer
10-26-2009, 12:30 AM
my tank is a 33 gallon and my skimmer is on but im not quite sure its working... agian im new at this and i have had the skimmer on for about a week and a half and its barley collecting anything... its not the top of the line or anything its a coralife super skimmer 65

Reef_surfer
10-26-2009, 12:36 AM
i use a coralife hydrometer and i havent had a chance to use a refractometer... but i make sure all the bubbles are out of the hydrometer when im testing

Doug
10-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Perhaps have your hydrometer checked by someone with a refractometer. If its not being skimmer out then the salinity should not drop that much, unless replaced by fresh water somehow.

PuffLuv
10-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Even for a 33 gallon tank, that's quite a jump in salinity. As Doug already mentioned, it would be less surprising if the salinity went lower from evaporation. I'm guessing your just topping off with too much freshwater.

As for your skimmer, if it is a new tank, your water might be too "clean" for the skimmer to pull anything out yet. Also, your skimmer might not be "dialed-in" correctly, or if it is new, just not broken in yet.

Your hydrometer is not as accurate as a refractometer, however, they are usually consistent. In the long run, you probably want to get a refractometer. The Reef Shoppe sells them for $49 or Adam NS in Saskatoon is selling a used one.

Reef_surfer
10-26-2009, 01:25 AM
hey guys thanks so much and ill see if i can get in touch with him, maybe there is someone in saskatoon that can even let me borrow theirs for now. just to make sure. and im still cycling my tank so im thinking thats why im not getting a whole lot in my tank yet as it is still pretty new. i just took pics today if you wanted to look at the protien skimmer maybe it could clue you in to something im not doing right??