PDA

View Full Version : Unknown snail spawning?

Mr.nintendo
10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I woke up this morning and sat down to look at my tank and noticed three snails of an unknown type spawing in the tank, on one side were 2 males and the other a female. The female was spitting mass amounts of eggs into the tank well the two males produced clouds of sperm.

I have never seen these snails before, they were all grey brownish ( couldnt get a picture my phone is to low quality to differentiate the snails from the rock )

The snails are more slug like with small shell sections that barely stick up from their body, only covering just behind their head and midsection.

Any idea what these guys are?

NuraNori
10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
They might be Stomatella varia. See this website for a pic and short description. I have 2 in my tank as hitchhikers, and they haven't bred yet...although I think one's in my display tank and one's in the sump..

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

Mr.nintendo
10-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Ya I think they may be a weird variety of them, I'm gonna try to get a shot with a decent cam if I can get my hands on one. These ones look really nice, little brighter then the Stomatella Snails I can find pics of

BlueAbyss
10-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I have inch long stomatellas that are sort of greenish grey to tan, with iridescence on their shell, so they come in quite a variety.

Mr.nintendo
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Hmm apparently my waking up and checking the tank out gets them all excited haha... again when I sat down they all pop'd out and started spawing.