PDA

View Full Version : Indonesia - New Government Quota System To Preserve Coral Reefs

workn2hard2day
10-25-2009, 05:57 PM
This is good news.
http://indonesia-oslo.no/new-government-quota-system-to-preserve-coral-reefs/

article from above link.
Sunday, 25 October 2009
New Government Quota System To Preserve Coral Reefs
The government plans to set a quota on coral trading to ensure the sustainability of marine biodiversity, a minister revealed Monday.
“Coral reefs are very important for our country, as it is located within *the* Coral Triangle area,” Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Fredy Numberi told a press conference during a symposium on coral reef management.

The quota system was recommended by the Indonesian Institute of Science (LIPI), Fredy said.

It was reported that a piece of coral is sold for Rp 1,000 (10 US cents) to Rp 3,000 while the replacement of the same coral would cost between Rp 5,000 and Rp 10,000.

It takes at least one year for a coral reef to grow by one centimeter.

A 2003 Johns Hopkins University study revealed Indonesia’s 85,000-square-kilometer coral reef area is home to a third of the world’s coral and a quarter of its fish species.

Indonesia has fallen victim to destructive fishing, unregulated tourism and climatic changes, as well as coral trading. Data from 414 reef monitoring stations in 2000 found that only six percent of Indonesia’s coral reefs are in excellent condition, while 24 percent are in good condition, and about 70 percent are only in poor to fair condition.

Yaya Mulyana, the director of the Coral Reef Rehabilitation and Management Program Phase II (COREMAP II), said once the government has set a quota, traders will be advised to sell only transplanted coral .

There are about 50 species of coral in Bali and West Nusa Tenggara that can be transplanted.

State Minister for national development planning (Bappenas) Paskah Suzetta said the government would produce a blueprint to address several maritime issues such as fisheries, tourism, sea resources, and modes of sea transportation.

“The Fisheries and Maritime Affairs Ministry *DKP* and Bappenas will cooperate in drafting the blueprint,” Paskah said on the sidelines of the symposium.

Source: The Jakarta Post

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
This is great news that the Indonesia gov't is finally clamping down on their coral exports. I am astounded whenever I speak to the L.A. buyers as to how much coral they import weekly. The U.S. coral consumption is insane.

There will definitly be a rise in coral prices as the supply will begin to diminish significantly. I am already experiencing this as a lot of my wild coral qoutas are cut back this semester.

Zoaelite
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Good to hear, it would be nice if all countries with costal reefs could implement this. I wouldn't mind paying more for coral if I new that some of that money went back to conserving the reefs. Keep in mind in an area like Indonesia this is going to be hard to implement/ maintain.
Levi

globaldesigns
10-25-2009, 06:29 PM
That is great news... However that may mean even higher coral pricing, but we may also see even more agricultured, which is ok in my books.

Guru
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
edit

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Well that was truly unexpected.

I for one am pro aquaculture and that is why most of the corals you see that I sell are fragments and not whole colonies. As well the acroporas that I mainly sell are aquacultured in Indonesia and are from fellow hobbyists as well.

I can appreciate you lumping all retailers into the mix of coral reef exploitation, however without retailers selling corals the hobbyists would not have any brood stock to be trading amongst each other.

My response was not for promotional purposes; just my thoughts on the industry as a whole and how many corals that are being harvested on a weekly basis. I did not once offer anything for sale on this thread, just my opinion from somone that is involved in the industry. I suppose if any other vendor chimed in, they would be considered maliciously trying to promote their business in this thread.

The quantity of corals that I sell wild caught is very limited as I have explained. My CITES quotas are drastically reduced for this semester and I am not at all upset because I feel that it definitley is time to restrict the amount of corals being exported from Indo.

I don't feel shameful or even the least bashful as I primarily promote aquaculture and sustainability.

Thanks for your insight and I am sorry that you feel so negatively towards coral retailers.

:P

workn2hard2day
10-26-2009, 12:00 AM
WOW, pot meet kettle. Retailers sell what consumers purchase. I did not post this article for people to bash others. You know OceanicCorals you and all other retail stores are the cause of this. Shame on you.

globaldesigns
10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Oceanic, don't worry... I haven't personally bought from you, but without retailers where do most of us get our goods from. Yeah it is great to buy frags off fellow reefers, but at some point the retailer is involved.

I think it may be the responsibility of all to maybe know where their coral comes from... It is the choice of the consumer if they wish to buy agricultured or wild or both... I personally have both... But it is the responsibility of all (mankind) to take care of our earth, so I welcome any government intervention, as it is better now than when it is too late.

To all a good night.

fishytime
10-26-2009, 01:19 AM
You know OceanicCorals you and all other retail stores are the cause of this.
However i do appreciate the government stepping in to stop it the bottom line is you are doing this to make money.
All the other real reefers here are doing it for a hobby and not concerned about earning money from corals.
If anything the hobbyist trading frags is doing more then the government is but limiting the export of corals in their region.

Im also certain that you probably only responded to this thread to help increase your sales.

Shame on you.

Excuse me???....how can you make a statement like this?..... Retailers are not the cause for the state of the worlds reefs......we the consumers/hobbyists are the cause for creating the market..... Retailers are simply responding to consumer demand.

So I suppose all those frags in the buy/sell forum are free?.... Guess Im not a "real" reefer, like you...:neutral:

Borderjumper
10-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Excuse me???....how can you make a statement like this?..... Retailers are not the cause for the state of the worlds reefs......we the consumers/hobbyists are the cause for creating the market..... Retailers are simply responding to consumer demand.

So I suppose all those frags in the buy/sell forum are free?.... Guess Im not a "real" reefer, like you...:neutral:
I couldnt agree more!

globaldesigns
10-26-2009, 01:30 AM
FREE, FREE, WHERE???? Guru I will take some freebies... HEHE

+1 Fishytime, well said.

Oceanic
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
You know OceanicCorals you and all other retail stores are the cause of this.
However i do appreciate the government stepping in to stop it the bottom line is you are doing this to make money.
All the other real reefers here are doing it for a hobby and not concerned about earning money from corals.
If anything the hobbyist trading frags is doing more then the government is but limiting the export of corals in their region.

Im also certain that you probably only responded to this thread to help increase your sales.

Shame on you.

What an obtuse thing to say!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obtuse

kien
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
...It takes at least one year for a coral reef to grow by one centimeter.

obviously these coral reefs are doing something wrong and need to either look into Zeo, Fauna, vodka or the balling method.. I've seen tonnes of hobbyists grow more than a centimeter's worth of coral a year!

Oceanic
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
obviously these coral reefs are doing something wrong and need to either look into Zeo, Fauna, vodka or the balling method.. I've seen tonnes of hobbyists grow more than a centimeter's worth of coral a year!

You are correct, Corals grow MUCH faster than a centimeter a year....... Click below to see for yourself (time lapse photography)

http://vimeo.com/5712168

Ian

kien
10-26-2009, 04:50 PM
You are correct, Corals grow MUCH faster than a centimeter a year....... Click below to see for yourself (time lapse photography)

http://vimeo.com/5712168

Ian

Ya, saw that video last week and that's the second thing that popped in my head when I read that line about "one centimeter a year". First was Snappy's tank :-) Anyway, those numbers seemed off to me but what do I know.

Guru
10-26-2009, 06:20 PM
That response was our babysiter.

Oceanic
10-26-2009, 07:23 PM
That response was our babysiter.

:tsk:

RCFA
10-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Ya, saw that video last week and that's the second thing that popped in my head when I read that line about "one centimeter a year". First was Snappy's tank :-) Anyway, those numbers seemed off to me but what do I know.

I would be interested in finding out more about this as well. I know that there is definitely more stress on corals in the wild, with there being no end to the predators like parrot fish, crown of thorns, etc. not to mention the storms they have to endure. Maybe the one centimeter thing is a measure of the average the entire reef grows a year, not just the corals. So the amount of coral/algae that needs to grow and turn into 'live rock' to support the next generation of corals? I don't know but it would be interesting to see growth rates of various corals from different areas. Did anyone catch the amount of time between shots on that Fiji clip mentioned earlier?

Oceanic
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I would be interested in finding out more about this as well. I know that there is definitely more stress on corals in the wild, with there being no end to the predators like parrot fish, crown of thorns, etc. not to mention the storms they have to endure. Maybe the one centimeter thing is a measure of the average the entire reef grows a year, not just the corals. So the amount of coral/algae that needs to grow and turn into 'live rock' to support the next generation of corals? I don't know but it would be interesting to see growth rates of various corals from different areas. Did anyone catch the amount of time between shots on that Fiji clip mentioned earlier?

The video states that the growth sequence is shot over six months, the pieces look like they increase in size about 5 fold!

RCFA
10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
The video states that the growth sequence is shot over six months, the pieces look like they increase in size about 5 fold!

Oh wow! 6 months for each shot or six months total? ya they went from little frags to huge colonies! if that was only six months total, that is really impressive.

Oceanic
10-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh wow! 6 months for each shot or six months total? ya they went from little frags to huge colonies! if that was only six months total, that is really impressive.

The video does say six months for the colonies to branch out, it shows about 4-5 time lapsed photographs likely in 4-5 week intervals. If it is 6 months per shot then the growth would be spaced out over about 2.5 to 3 years.