PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about corals

The Grizz
10-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Hi to all that take the time to read this. I am new to CanReef and to saltwater but have had fresh water tanks for ever.

I have a 65 gal hex community tank & a 65 gal aggressive tank both with Rena XP2 filter, SeaClone 100 protein skimmer, UV sterilizer & moderate lighting. Both have live sand and rock. Both tanks have been up for 6 months and doing well.

I have several corals in the community tank but would like to add some to the aggressive tank. Livestock in tank at this point is a loin fish, yellow tang, valintini puffer, fox face lo, snowflake eel & a green star sea serpent. I have a few small snail's and 3 large hermit crab's as well. Going to add a picasso trigger, scribbled rabbitfish, niger trigger & a fire clown in the next few week's.

Can someone advise me of what coral's, if any, that I can put in my aggressive tank.

Lance
10-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Hi to all that take the time to read this. I am new to CanReef and to saltwater but have had fresh water tanks for ever.

I have a 65 gal hex community tank & a 65 gal aggressive tank both with Rena XP2 filter, SeaClone 100 protein skimmer, UV sterilizer & moderate lighting. Both have live sand and rock. Both tanks have been up for 6 months and doing well.

I have several corals in the community tank but would like to add some to the aggressive tank. Livestock in tank at this point is a loin fish, yellow tang, valintini puffer, fox face lo, snowflake eel & a green star sea serpent. I have a few small snail's and 3 large hermit crab's as well. Going to add a picasso trigger, scribbled rabbitfish, niger trigger & a fire clown in the next few week's.

Can someone advise me of what coral's, if any, that I can put in my aggressive tank.

Those fish should be ok with corals. Large Angels are the ones to watch out for. You might want to re-think the two triggers in a 65 gal though.

Eyford01
10-25-2009, 03:37 AM
could be just me but that seems like alot of fish for a 65, i have a 55g with a 30 sump and i couldn't imagine stocking it so full, might be a good idea to get a few more opinions just in case, also i have heard rabbitfish may nibble on LPS and soft corals though i have never kept one i wouldn't know first hand

The Grizz
10-25-2009, 04:01 AM
It does seem like a lot of live stock at the moment but I am planning on up grading to a much larger tank with in a year or sooner. I already have a 130 gal, 2 - 65 gal, 55 gal, a tall 40 gal hex, 2 - 30 gal, 15 gal hex & 10 gal. I never get over 1 1/2" of fish per gal. Just need to know about coral but thanks for the info on the rabbitfish.

Zoaelite
10-25-2009, 04:38 AM
It does seem like a lot of live stock at the moment but I am planning on up grading to a much larger tank with in a year or sooner. I already have a 130 gal, 2 - 65 gal, 55 gal, a tall 40 gal hex, 2 - 30 gal, 15 gal hex & 10 gal. I never get over 1 1/2" of fish per gal. Just need to know about coral but thanks for the info on the rabbitfish.

The 1 inch of fish per gallon rule is a landmark for fresh water, wouldn't use it with saltwater you might run into some problems. In a pred tank keep in mind you will be feeding quite a bit more, with more fish this will contribute to your nitrates/ Ammonia which will in turn stress your fish out. Stressed fish= Ich/ other conditions which can lead to a full tank crash. Be nice to your fish and give them some room :lol:!

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 04:58 AM
You can try mushroom corals and zoanthids.

Not to put a plug in or anything (I am though) but I have $10 dollar zoo sale on right now. You could try a few of those without having to lose a shirt or something like that.

Most of the fish that you have in there should leave it alone.

Cheers.

:P

The Grizz
10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Was on you site last night. Did not see any $10 zoo's. Can you point me in the right direction or send me some pic's with pricing.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi,

Sorry, the website is on holidays at the moment. Refusing to get updated.

Below is the link for the Zoo sale:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56678

Please PM me should you have any further questions about the sale.

Thanks,

:P

The Grizz
10-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Just wondering if there is anyone else that has any more info of what coral I might try in my pred tank.

Also anyone selling any unwanted coral in the Edmonton or Calgary area. Got lot of great advise from Oceanic Corals and Coral Master, any more input out there.