PDA

View Full Version : Need MH Electrician

Black Phantom
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I've got a Coralife 250 MH light that won't fire up. Tried the usual stuff with the new bulb and all but thats not it.
Does someone around here fix these things. I figure it's either the ballast or the ignitor (or both) I pulled it apart myself and tested what I knew but no luck.
If anyone could help here that would be great.:biggrin:

globaldesigns
10-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I use Coralife also, do you have 2 MH, if so... Is it only one MH that doesn't light up, try switching ballasts... If it is the ballast (I am guessing that is what is wrong) then it would be best to just buy a new one (ballast that is).

Mrfish55
10-25-2009, 02:09 AM
If the ballast is NFG I have a spare I don't need, will sell cheap.

Black Phantom
10-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking it's the ballast as well but I don't have any way to test it. It's the coil and core style. And the ignitor is in the light itself so it makes it hard to test. I don't want to buy a new ballast if I don't have to. And it's a single so I cant switch ballasts to test.

Bryan
10-25-2009, 09:25 PM
MH coil and core ballasts rarely go, I suspect it's the capacitor or ignitor. Have you ruled out the bulb?

Bryan
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Oops, forgot to attach the link. Troubleshooting starts aropund page 28

http://www.advance.philips.com/documents/uploads/literature/hid-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

aquajeep
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
i had a prob with my pfo turned out i had a prob start bulb and not a pulse.double check bulb or could be just bad bulb even if its new.if ballast is toast there should be some scorching inside and smell off.if capacitor is toast it will have leaked fluid or burs a seam at one end.

aquajeep
10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
i had a prob with my pfo turned out i had a prob start bulb and not a pulse.double check bulb or could be just bad bulb even if its new.if ballast is toast there should be some scorching inside and smell off.if capacitor is toast it will have leaked fluid or burst a seam at one end.

aquajeep
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
oops lol

Black Phantom
10-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the link Bryan. Ill see if I can track this problem down.