PDA

View Full Version : What bugs you?

Myka
10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Are there any phrases or common misspells or grammar issues on the forums that you think people should have figured out? Just for fun of course. :D

For me...

"Rimless". It is Trimless!! All tanks have a rim.

"Gauging Interest". Is it for sale or not??

"Giesemann". That's how it is spelled, take note. ;)

:lol:

fishoholic
10-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Anemone- yes it's a tricky one, but not hard to look up and spell right.

Dez
10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
"LOL" kind of bugs me when people use it ALL the time. Are they actually laughing out loud? Or when they post something and it always ends with LOL when it's not even remotely funny. Maybe it's just me.

VFX
10-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Roflmao!

Dez
10-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Roflmao!

See, that I don't mind, cause you actually thought my comment was funny ;)...but I know you aren't actually on the floor!

Myka
10-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Hahahaha! (yep I actually laughed)

whatcaneyedo
10-24-2009, 06:32 PM
I just don't like it when I can barely read something because of the persons spelling, grammar and punctuation. Little mistakes are no big deal. I've probably made one or two in this post myself but some of the garbage I read can be pretty bad... ReefCentral is much worse for this.

globaldesigns
10-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Are there any phrases or common misspells or grammar issues on the forums that you think people should have figured out? Just for fun of course. :D

For me...

A that is how you spell Geissman, HEHE... I hope you are not calling me out!

Delphinus
10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Heh, I use LOL a lot. :p

But speaking of "a lot", that brings me to MY pet peeve: "alot". THERE IS NO SUCH WORD, PEOPLE!! You can have "A LOT" of something, or "A LITTLE" of something. You can "allot" an allotment, you can allot a lot, but not you cannot allot a lot of alot.

globaldesigns
10-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Heh, I use LOL a lot. :p

But speaking of "a lot", that brings me to MY pet peeve: "alot". THERE IS NO SUCH WORD, PEOPLE!! You can have "A LOT" of something, or "A LITTLE" of something. You can "allot" an allotment, you can allot a lot, but not you cannot allot a lot of alot.

Wow, say that 5 times really fast

VFX
10-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Bugs me when people say "there" instead of "their" or "they're".

grrr!!!!....

Aquattro
10-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Recent one for me is then/than. I hate this more then you. Than, I have to go edit it because it bothers me so much. So their!!

You do something, THEN you do something else. Or, I would prefer to do that more THAN this. They're going over there to get their stuff.

Myka
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh those bother me too VFX and Brad!!!

Lance
10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Just gauging interest:
I have a rimless 48g tank with 2x250W Geissemann MH liting. Will also throw in a large amenome and 2 True Perks. (Their a mated pair and host with they're aneneme) You can Also have alot of snailz. If I get some inquirees than Ill' cum up with a price. LOL

Mrfish55
10-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Just gauging interest:
I have a rimless 48g tank with 2x250W Geissemann MH liting. Will also throw in a large amenome and 2 True Perks. (Their a mated pair and host with they're aneneme) You can Also have alot of snailz. If I get some inquirees than Ill' cum up with a price. LOL

Wow, why don't you ever call me when you have spillage at the liqour store to dispose of? No way you can be sober and come up with that!

By the way, what really burns my a$$ is an open flame about three feet high!

whatcaneyedo
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Just gauging interest:

At least you capitalized and used punctuation. I can forgive someone for having poor spelling and grammar if they at least make an effort to compose a real sentence.

Dez
10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Just gauging interest:

Argh.....what's with the LOL? Was posting something for sale really that funny? :)

PS - Nice one!

fishoholic
10-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh those bother me too VFX and Brad!!!

+1

Just gauging interest:

:rolleyes: Oh dear....BTW how long did it take for you to come up with that?

JDigital
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
At least you capitalized and used punctuation. I can forgive someone for having poor spelling and grammar if they at least make an effort to compose a real sentence.

I've got to agree. Some of you are a bit picky considering you are browsing the WORLD WIDE WEB. :lol:

Not everyone posting grows up with an A+ in English class, let alone took English as a first language in school. :wink:

shrimpchips
10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm sure I share this pet peeve with many people but i hate it when people dont capitalize their "i's" and dont use any or improper punctuation and have run on sentances for ever and ever and ever on multiple subjects that never seem to end or have any discernable structure to the story that theyre trying to tell. also when people dont use paragraph breaks and just go on typing forever and leave a huge giant block of text which is impossible to read really drives me nuts.

So I'll stop.

globaldesigns
10-24-2009, 09:38 PM
My pet peave is when someone posts an honest and sincere question or comment, then others tend to jump in and start the bashing.... I think this has happened to everyone.

As Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along"

Lance
10-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm sure I share this pet peeve with many people but i hate it when people dont capitalize their "i's" and dont use any or improper punctuation and have run on sentances for ever and ever and ever on multiple subjects that never seem to end or have any discernable structure to the story that theyre trying to tell. also when people dont use paragraph breaks and just go on typing forever and leave a huge giant block of text which is impossible to read really drives me nuts.

So I'll stop.

Veng68
10-24-2009, 09:55 PM

For me...

Gauging Interest on a Rimless Giesemann"? :)

Cheers,
Vic

globaldesigns
10-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Here is another:

"HELP, Identify please... I think this is BAD"

Then there is no PIC!!!!

golf nut
10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Rodney King
He bugs me.

golf nut
10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Alot is not a word.

marie
10-25-2009, 12:44 AM
What bugs me?

My stupid tang dumping another cupful of water all over the floor just after I have cleaned up his last spill.

This happened at least 10 times last night. I added a gallon of NSW to the tank before I went to bed...not the easiest way to do a water change :twised:

fishoholic
10-25-2009, 12:47 AM
What bugs me?

My stupid tang dumping another cupful of water all over the floor just after I have cleaned up his last spill.

This happened at least 10 times last night. I added a gallon of NSW to the tank before I went to bed...not the easiest way to do a water change :twised:

That wouldn't be your precious Doofus you're talking about would it? :razz:

marie
10-25-2009, 12:48 AM
That wouldn't be your precious Doofus you're talking about would it? :razz:

I changed his name but I can't say what his new name is on a family oriented board :mrgreen:

JDigital
10-25-2009, 01:36 AM
I changed his name but I can't say what his new name is on a family oriented board :mrgreen:

I thought this was a reef oriented board...

Lance
10-25-2009, 01:41 AM

Sure you can: "Poo Head"

marie
10-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Sure you can: "Poo Head"

Yea but Poo Head doesn't seem to convey the right amount of annoyance somehow

mike31154
10-25-2009, 02:43 AM
May seem quite trivial, but there 'is' a singular/plural grammar error that seems to have snuck its way into our lingo (I know, lingo prolly isn't a word). I even find so called professionals like radio and television announcers making this error. "There's" instead of "There're"? Sounds kooky but everyone seems to use "there's" when the proper grammar would be "there are". Not even sure "there're" is a proper abbreviation. In any case, "There's lots of them." or "There's many cases." are just two examples. "There ARE lots of them" ore "There ARE many cases, people!" Not IS. Ha, ha (note no LOL), I've been waiting a long time to air this one out. Thanks for the thread Mindy.

If it's still not sinking in, or too confusing, have a listen to the Frank Zappa song "Apostrophe"... Hmm, to spell check or not to spell check...

Lance
10-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Yea but Poo Head doesn't seem to convey the right amount of annoyance somehow

Yeah it's kinda Wimpy. OK Shithead!

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 02:54 AM
I find it really annoying when someone says" I have stuffs for sale" or "there're lots of stuffs for sale". Stuff itself is a plural you can't pluralize a plural. Dammit Man!!

mike31154
10-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Ok, now my head hurts. NNOL. That's Nyuk Nyuk Out Loud for all you Stooges fans!

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 03:11 AM
And also the misuse of "a".

"A apple" or "a eye" is not proper grammer.

"An apple" or "an eye" is.

the "n" needs to be attached before the next word if it begins with a vowel unless it's "y".

Anyways, sorry those are the two main one's that make the hair on my neck rise.

:mrgreen:

sphelps
10-25-2009, 03:29 AM

Haha while I agree that rimless isn't the best word however it related to the lack of bracing not so much trim, I don't think braceless sounds as good and rimless is kind of the industry standard term ;)

What I hate is when people quote pictures, drives me nuts!! Delete the pictures when you quote a post, it takes way longer to scroll through the thread when you have wait and scroll through the same pictures over and over.

Haha I feel better now, great thread :)

o.c.d.
10-25-2009, 04:06 AM
Not all of us have one of dhem dare fancy edumications. But for me I'm not sure if it's bothered or entertained buy how some of the threads go for simple questions to off topic argument.

Ian
10-25-2009, 04:33 AM
+1 FOR ALOT I refuse to even mark my students work if it appears in an assignment.

banditpowdercoat
10-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Mistakes like fro instad of for. Ohh wait, thats me LOL, I do that ALOT!!!! HAHA couldnt resist, I think I'm gona start saying alot, A Lot LMAO

shrimpchips
10-25-2009, 04:40 AM
And also the misuse of "a".

"A apple" or "a eye" is not proper grammer.

"An apple" or "an eye" is.

the "n" needs to be attached before the next word if it begins with a vowel unless it's "y".

Anyways, sorry those are the two main one's that make the hair on my neck rise.

:mrgreen:

Don't forget words that start with an "h". Thems is wanting an "an" as well.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Yes, you are correct sir. But typical of the english language there are exceptions to this rule.

"I'll see you in an hour" as oppose to "do you have a handkerchief?" or "you don't have a hope in hell".

I believe the "h" rule only works sometimes but not always.

hillegom
10-25-2009, 04:51 AM
I detest people saying, (not on this forum at least) me and "whoever" instead of
"whoever" and I...did...

golf nut
10-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Spelling is important

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8nqi-RrfX0&feature=player_embedded

Ephraim
10-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Graffiti!!!! It's a verb not a noun! Graffito is the noun!!!

grrr... that one annoys me greatly.

lorenz0
10-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Picky people, it's the internet...

VFX
10-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Not internet related but, people saying expresso instead of espresso.

Doug
10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
What I hate is when people quote pictures, drives me nuts!! Delete the pictures when you quote a post, it takes way longer to scroll through the thread when you have wait and scroll through the same pictures over and over.

Sure glad someone mentioned that. :mrgreen:

lorenz0
10-25-2009, 01:27 PM
^^^
omg i don't know how i missed shelps post. He is so right about people qouting pictures. Like i mean the same picture over and over about 20 times.

workn2hard2day
10-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Canada post!!!

Marlin65
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
It's Starphire not starfire.:wink:

kien
10-27-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't really mind all the misspellings, typos or grammatical errors littering the forum(s). My brain usually process them fine. What drives me bonkers is when I step into a LFS and start talking the talk only to get tripped up by words that virtually everyone pronounces differently. How the heck do you pronounced Acropora, Giessemann, copepod, zeovit, etc..

marie
10-28-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't really mind all the misspellings, typos or grammatical errors littering the forum(s). My brain usually process them fine. What drives me bonkers is when I step into a LFS and start talking the talk only to get tripped up by words that virtually everyone pronounces differently. How the heck do you pronounced Acropora, Giessemann, copepod, zeovit, etc..

Have you ever tried to sound knowledgeable without actually saying any of those words?... I stay home for this very reason :razz:

sphelps
10-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Have you ever tried to sound knowledgeable without actually saying any of those words?... I stay home for this very reason :razz:
Haha yeah me too! I'm pretty useless without google and that only tells you how to spell it ;)

I agree with others, spelling and gramma aren't important in a social environment like this forum but it does bother me in the proffesional world. I actually get a kick out of things like that around here, often it's quite funny but it certainly never bothers me.

lastlight
10-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Sphelps for the win. I'll be scrolling down a thread and as SOON as my eyes pickup a repeat picture I get pretty annoyed. And of course 10 others usually follow. I will occasionally repost a single picture if I'm referring to it and it's not a very recent post.

I guess the second thing (and I'm joking guys) would BE Sphelps himself. He knows a buttload about a surprisingly broad array of topics which makes debate difficult since I don't.

Skimmerking
10-28-2009, 02:08 AM
WHAT I HATE IS EVERYONE HERE IS BITCHING TO POST PAD......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

WHY DON'T EVERYONE HERE JUST

SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!!!!!!!!!:BIG:

sphelps
10-28-2009, 02:50 AM
I guess the second thing (and I'm joking guys) would BE Sphelps himself. He knows a buttload about a surprisingly broad array of topics which makes debate difficult since I don't.

:sorry:

hahaha too funny :lol:

lastlight
10-28-2009, 03:03 AM
What you don't want to debate it ? :mrgreen:

Delphinus
10-28-2009, 03:05 AM
Haha 18 to go!

(Amateurs, all of you!!!!) Crap did I say that out loud ... :redface:

lastlight
10-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Damn Tony. Get a life!

Haha. I removed any mention of 1000 posts from my post like THREE seconds after I posted thinking maybe I *won't* be able to make it tonight.

So yeah...cat's out of the bag. I'm whoring for 1000 =)

mike31154
10-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Yes, you are correct sir. But typical of the english language there are exceptions to this rule.

"I'll see you in an hour" as oppose to "do you have a handkerchief?" or "you don't have a hope in hell".

I believe the "h" rule only works sometimes but not always.

The sentences you provided as examples for the 'h' rule illustrate precisely why it is used in some cases and not others. I think it generally applies only to words with the dreaded 'silent' h, such as 'hour'.

The english language rule I have difficulty in comprehending is the pronunciation of 'one'. Same as 'won'. How does that work? Come to think of it, why the h is the h silent in some words anyway?

Reminds me of something rather 'umerous', har. I used to have a boss named Hedley who was originally from Newfoundland. One of the best people I ever had the pleasure to work for. We were on a business trip to the grand isle, along with another fellow by the name of Ed. Now anyone that's familiar with the Newfie dialect may already know where I might be going with this! Don't remember who came up with the phrase, surely another Newf, since they have their own way of dealing with the letter 'h'. Anyhow, I was not on a trip with Hedley and Ed, rather in Newfonese, I was on a trip with 'Edley' and 'Hed'!

Skimmerking
10-28-2009, 11:15 AM
you guys are lucky that BOB I isnt around any more you would all get a crap load from him...

speaking of Bob I where is he at ?

fishytime
10-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Damn Tony. Get a life!

Haha. I removed any mention of 1000 posts from my post like THREE seconds after I posted thinking maybe I *won't* be able to make it tonight.

So yeah...cat's out of the bag. I'm whoring for 1000 =)

Oh.....so thats why you have a sudden interest in my tank journal.....now that bugs me....j/k Brett

Delphinus
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
speaking of Bob I where is he at ?

The last I heard he had moved to BC. Been a few years though hasn't it! Hope he's doing well.

Boomboy
10-28-2009, 05:39 PM
what bugs me is the stupid english language, there are so many stupid exceptions to every word. (sidenote - i suck at english grammar and spelling)

Parker
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
The fact that Lastlight will have salt in his tank before me!

lastlight
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not making any garantees man lol. I need to sort out my aquascape and I'm fussy as hell. I need to get some rods and epoxy for the big day/days.

And Doug that hurts dude. I bought some socks and a net the other day so you wouldn't wonder why I was in the shop AGAIN. I care man...I'm just looking for friends *sniff*

Parker
10-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm just looking for friends *sniff*

Your like the cool kids little brother, we let you hang out with us because mom makes us! :lol: j/k

muck
10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Ending a post or Pm with a "TeeHee" :lol::lol:

globaldesigns
10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
the fact that this thread just won't DIE!

EDIT: Ahhhh POOP, I just bumped it back to the top again.

lastlight
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Your like the cool kids little brother, we let you hang out with us because mom makes us! :lol: j/k

Maybe she just likes having me around?

Delphinus
10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Ending a post or Pm with a "TeeHee" :lol::lol:

I do this all the time too. Knowing that it bugs you will only fuel me to do it more! Teehee! (And just for Dez: LOL!)

shrimpchips
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I agree with others, spelling and gramma aren't important in a social environment like this forum but it does bother me in the proffesional professional world.

Just saying. But then again I make spelling errors all the time, and what's worse is that I usually see them but am too lazy to fix them after I've pushed that "Submit" button.

English bugs me. And apparently ALOT of other people.

One other thing that bugs me people who have HUGE signatures that take up half the screen and compose >75% of any given thread they post in.

sphelps
10-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Just saying
Whatever, blame my iphone :wink:

shrimpchips
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Ah, are you needing a special dialing wand too? I need one for that damn touchscreen too. Damn you sausage fingers...

sphelps
10-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Ah, are you needing a special dialing wand too? I need one for that damn touchscreen too. Damn you sausage fingers...
haha, yeap same deal over here. It usually corrects for it automatically but sometimes it doesn't and for some reason once you misspell a word once it tends to remember and change words to the incorrect spelling as appose to the correct spelling. Stupid technology, haha jk computer don't crash on me :hail:

fishoholic
10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
WHAT I HATE IS EVERYONE HERE IS BITCHING TO POST PAD......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

WHY DON'T EVERYONE HERE JUST

SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!!!!!!!!!:BIG:

What there was some post padding going on and I missed it?!?!

Myka
10-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Oh I remembered another one...when people have their entire tank listed out in the their signature. Why not make a link and call it "Ghetto 120" or "150 with all the Expensive Gadgets"? I mean srsly (that drives me nuts too), that's what the Tank Journal is for...not your signature!! :p