PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bangaii's - how successful have you been in raising them???

Chin_Lee
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
So many people have posted that they have baby bangaiis but the threads never follow through with updates of success or failures.

I want to start a discussion on raising baby bangaiis and how successful have you been in raising them. I would like to try to collect data if possible by having the following questions answered:

General
1) How many frys did you start out with?
2) How many survived to adults?
3) If none, how long did the oldest one live for or how big did it grow?
4) Did you attempt to raise them?

Foods
5) What did you feed the new born frys?
6) Did you do anything special to the foods? (ie Selcon)
7) As they got older, what and when did you try frozen/pellet foods?
8) If successful, how did you wean them off live foods?
9) How did you feed them? (manual turkey baster or automatic setup)

Habitat
10) Where did you raise your fry? (ie sump/separate container/main display)
11) What temp was the water?
12) How much swimming space did they have? (LxWxH)
13) How much flow in the swimming space? (none, low, moderate, high)
14) What was in the swimming space? (live rock, algae, fake plants)
15) What was your lighting schedule?

If you feel tere are other questions that should be added, LMK.
Otherwise lets type, read, and learn.
Thanks
Chin

Chin_Lee
10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
General
none in previous batches. Current batch still growing
previous batches - 3 weeks to about 1/2 inch
yes with one batch

Foods
BBS
only if I have leftover bbs 24 hours after they hatch. (apparently they don't start feeding until 24 hour after they hatch because they will continue to absorb their yolk and develope their mouths and anus)

yes - cyclopeeze but they never ate it. wouldn't touch frozen foods

previous batch - manual turkey basting bbs.
Current batch - I attached a hose to a black plastic bottle and I punched three 1/4 holes into the black bottle. The bottle sits in their living space with the top of the hose 3-4" out of the water. I pour BBS into the hose and then start a water drip into the hose through the use of an IV bag. The bbs will sink into the bottle and be attracted towards the light coming through the holes. As they swim towards the light, the water drips from the IV bag helps to push them out of the holes into the mouths of the baby bangaiis.

Habitat
Previous batch - in separate container sitting in sump
Refugium but I used to two glass pieces (and with help of magnets) to create a box in one corner of the fuge. Water flows into the area through the

78 +/- .05

first batch - 6x4x6
current batch 6x8x16

previous batch - very low
current batch - low

previous batch - bare bottom
current batch - caleurpa algae with many bristle worms and pods eating leftover bbs

previous batch - 12 on, 12 off
current batch - 24/7 on

Veng68
10-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Chin,

Check this PDF manual about Bangaii Cardinal Breeding

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/hawau/hawauh05003.pdf

Also this website is dedicated to breeding marine ornamental fish

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/index.php?sid=f4f31938c4f98d1dc38fc572c5a3d11c

Good luck.

Cheers,
Vic

Myka
10-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Here a Bangaii Breeding Journal I made. http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38770 (if that works...the link looks funny)

It is incomplete though, as I did end up raising 2 or 3 batches to selling size. Those batches were 28-35 babies if I remember correctly, and none of them died from the batch. They are fairly easy to raise provided you know a thing or two. Like...get them onto frozen food within the first week. That's a biggie. :)

General
28-35

First few batches, none
Last few batches, all

I had issues getting them onto frozen food, and they died because I quit feeding them BBS. I think the last one kicked the bucket around 3 months old. Use the turkey baster to keep the frozen food suspended...they won't take it off the bottom when they are young.

Yeppers.

Foods
BBS

I fed the BBS Selcon 1 hour before feeding the fry.

I blended up PE Mysis, and got them eating that within a week on the successful batches. They had Selcon and garlic mixed in, and I mixed it up with the BBS to get them change over.

See above.

Turkey baster, although I had great plans of an auto system. :D

Habitat
Successful batches were in separate tanks.
Unsuccessful were in floating containers in the display.

Probably 78 like the rest of my tanks?? Not sure...

The teeny guys had about 2 gallons, then moved up to 5 gallons, 10, then 20 to selliing size.

Very low with the teeny guys...just a sponge filter. As they got bigger they got more flow.

Fake plants, nothing organic. Made for easy clean up. Gotta keep nutrients real low or they go gimpy.

The little guys were dimly lit for 12 hours/day so I could feed them more. I found they did better in dim lighting. The bigger guys were 8 hours light, and it was brighter so I could prep them for peoples' display tanks. :)

reef bound
10-24-2009, 05:50 PM
We had our first batch in April this year, not really intending to ever have anything of the sort, but ....stuff happens in the reefing world.

*only found four - 1 in the sump and three in the display tank from my original batch.
*we still have 2 of the original 4 and now also have found 4 more at various ages. We've recently found 1 in each of our overflows that look the same age if not older than our April batch, and two more in the refugium from 2 different batches.
*so far so good
4) did you attempt to raise them?
*Yes. We have 6 babies all together, oldest being 6 months old, youngest is about 1 month. Currently largest is about 1 1/2".
*BBS for the ones we rescued from the first batch, but the ones in the overflows and the 2 in the fuge have been fending for themselves and doing fine by the looks of it.
*selcon and a little garlic
*after about 2 months I started blending mysis and omega brine shrimp and mixed a bit in with the BBS. Also started giving cyclopeze just by itself and it seemed to work, too.
*I'd say it took about a week until they were only eating the frozen food and cyclopeze and I cut back feeding them to 3 times/day, then down to 2 times/day---currently at 2 times/day.
*just used a spoon to settle it on top, they were pretty fast.
*5g tank with sponge filter for first ones, but out of the last 4, 2 had been living in the overflows un-noticed until last month and seemed to be fine, the other 2 are in the fuge and will stay there for the time being,as I took down the 5g. (I've since put the original 2 babies and one from one of the overflows into my Red Sea Max and all are doing well. They are in there with a blue spot pufferfish and a lawnmower blenny.)
*78-79 degrees
*Not sure of dimensions, but typical 5g then moved them to a typical 10g after about 3 months old
*no flow, just the bubbles from the filter, then in the 10g at 3 months old I had an aquaclear filter and the bubble filter and that gave a little more flow
*a couple pieces of PVC in the tank, but the ones in the fuge right now have all sorts of rocks, algae, plants, and a couple of urchins
*low light for about 10 hours/day

All in all, it's been very neat. I will say it was alot of work to be diligent with feeding the babies 4 times a day, but if a person was set up properly for breeding - which we aren't and can't- it would be better. We're actually trying to catch our 2 breeders to pass along to someone who is set up for it, to bring more baby bangaiis into the world. (They're proving to be very hard to catch.)

globaldesigns
10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I have one guy living in one of my overflows... He is about 1.5 inches now, otherwise when my 2 bangaiis have babies, they just become food for the others.