PDA

View Full Version : sps, at what point do you give up and throw it away?

burgerchow
10-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Hello everybody, I've been keeping lps for decades, but just started sps this year. My question is when is an acropora totally dead. I've got some frags that I bought from j and l about 4 mos ago. Most are o.k., but got this big acro.( about 5 inches tall, 3 inches wide) that I think is dead. Haven't seen any polyps for months. I've been hoping it would recover, but it has'nt changed or grown in months. ( my green birdsnest and green millipora have doubled in size in the last 4 mos)
How long does everybody keep trying to save a frag? I guess as long as you can still see some living tissue, it might have a chance to come back, or am I wrong? Can sps actually recover? When do you pull the plug?

fishytime
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
As long as it isnt white with no tissue or polyps.... thats bad....any other condition, the coral has the potential to recover from.

sphelps
10-23-2009, 01:51 PM
White with no polyps = dead

Aquattro
10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
White with no polyps = dead

Absolutely not. I had a small colony that was completely white with no polyps for months. I couldn't reach it, so left it in the tank. 4 months later it started coming back, and at 6 months was an awesome little blue colony.
Sure way to tell, remove it from the tank and smell it, acros have a pungent smell if they have tissue. Dead have no smell at all.

sphelps
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Absolutely not. I had a small colony that was completely white with no polyps for months. I couldn't reach it, so left it in the tank. 4 months later it started coming back, and at 6 months was an awesome little blue colony.
Sure way to tell, remove it from the tank and smell it, acros have a pungent smell if they have tissue. Dead have no smell at all.
True but very rare, for the most part if the coral is bleached and not showing any polyps it's not coming back. It's very difficult to tell whether it still has tissue or not. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

I give up up and throw it away when the coral is white and shows no polyps, that to me = dead. :wink:

Aquattro
10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
haha, yes, throwing it away almost certainly means it's dead, or will be shortly. But the smell test is 100%, if it smells like acro, it's got potential. I've had several return from death, and several not, but as long as there is tissue (smell it) it stays in the tank.

Gizmo
10-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I have the same concern, I have about 5 frags that my coral beauty (for sale btw) nipped the polyps off, but the stems are still a very vibrant color. I think thats what we're trying to find out wether they will recover from that.

kien
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
i wait until the entire skeletal structure has encrusted with various algaes.. then I call it in. I have one "colony" that RTN'ed down to two polyps and its immediate surrounding tissue. There's probably no more than 5mm worth of tissue around the polyps and it has been like this for a month now :surprise: I guess it is in a perfect zen balance or something. I would frag it but the two polyps aren't even on the tips, they are in the middle of one of the branches. I wasn't sure what to do about it so I just left it.

fiorano
10-23-2009, 09:00 PM
i also hold off on the chucking until the coral is white and starting to host various algae and growths

Atomikk
10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Usually if algae grows on the 'body' of the coral, it means it is dead. Regular algae will never grow on a healthy piece of sps body.

SPS corals have a sweet smell to them that distinguishes them from being dead. Well, this 'sweet' smell is really subjective at this point :)

globaldesigns
10-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree with Atomikk, if the skeleton of the coral is growing algae or turning green, it is dead.

I like everyone else has lost sps. I have lost my share and spent many hundreds/thousands on SPS frags and colonies... All I can suggest is make sure you have the following:

1.) Proper Parameters for all parameters and elements (this also means MG, ST, Pottassium, and so on)
2.) Good Skimmer(s), to help keep your water prestine, too much nutrients = nice brown corals... Not Dead, but who likes Brown.
3.) Keep up with your water changes
4.) Good Flow... You don't want to pummle your coral with flow, but in the wild they are use to good currents, you need to try and recreate the best you can this process
5.) Good Lighting - This is very important... I personally use MH and suggest minimum of 250W (I use this), but others say going up to 400W is even better. Depending on tank size and depth, you need to use proper lighting!!!

There is probably more, but I can't think of anything, please others add to this list.

I hope this helps,

Rick

burgerchow
10-24-2009, 03:37 AM
I agree with Atomikk, if the skeleton of the coral is growing algae or turning green, it is dead.

I like everyone else has lost sps. I have lost my share and spent many hundreds/thousands on SPS frags and colonies... All I can suggest is make sure you have the following:

1.) Proper Parameters for all parameters and elements (this also means MG, ST, Pottassium, and so on)
2.) Good Skimmer(s), to help keep your water prestine, too much nutrients = nice brown corals... Not Dead, but who likes Brown.
3.) Keep up with your water changes
4.) Good Flow... You don't want to pummle your coral with flow, but in the wild they are use to good currents, you need to try and recreate the best you can this process
5.) Good Lighting - This is very important... I personally use MH and suggest minimum of 250W (I use this), but others say going up to 400W is even better. Depending on tank size and depth, you need to use proper lighting!!!

There is probably more, but I can't think of anything, please others add to this list.

I hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks for all the info everyone. The acro in question has gone mostly white on the upper 2/3rds. Funny enough, no algae has taken a foothold on it. I don't think it made it during a 4 day blackout when I was battling dinos. ( complete darkness for 4.5 days. Motorcycle covers work great for covering a tank ) All my other corals survived and I wiped out the dinos.

water parameters should be pristine.

120 gal display with 50 gal sump
2x koralia 4s plus one Vortech mp40 set on wavemaking mode
coralife aqualight pro 2x250 mh 10,000 ks
vertex 180 skimmer
140 lbs live rock with 2 percs, christmas wrasse, flame angel, naso tang, royal gramma and foxface.

I'm going to see Anthony in a couple days to pick up more frags. Just wondering if I should throw this one away or if there might be a chance it might come back.

fkshiu
10-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Never give up on a coral not matter what! Picked up a superman digi and it didn't do well at all in my tank. Went completely bleached and became encrusted with algae and crap. I just left it in its place because I was both too lazy and ****ed off to remove it. A few weeks later I noticed a few red polyps peeking out from under some algae. This live area is now spreading slowly but surely to cover about one-third of the previously dead skeleton <knock on wood>.