PDA

View Full Version : Filter socks, and front-end-loader washing machine ??

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 05:01 AM
So our dryer kicked the bucket last week, so now we have a new washer and dryer.

I did my first filter sock in the washer tonight. A cup of bleach and it didn't clean the sock at all. :neutral:

Sooooo .. um ... does anyone else have a front-end-loader washer and has happened to solve this problem ?? Any advices?

mark
10-22-2009, 05:28 AM
have a front loader, works perfect on my 3 socks at a time, with ~1/4 cup of bleach, normal cycle.

Reefer Rob
10-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Front load washer, heavy soil cycle, hot water, no bleach, good to go.

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Ok thanks. I guess I'll have to queue up the socks and do a couple at a time. I'm trying again right now with two of them in a "whitest whites" cycle (which seems to be hot water and extra long). I just took one of the clean ones and tossed it in there so that it'd have something to tumble against. The first attempt was with an "express wash" cycle by itself, which really didn't do much. :neutral:

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

randallino
10-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Front load washer, heavy soil cycle, hot water, no bleach, good to go.
Ditto

Interior_Reef
10-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I find turning the sump sock inside out before throwin in the washer helps too.

Leah
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Men that can use a washing machine, wow! :wink:

fishytime
10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Men that can use a washing machine, wow! :wink:

Ya its amazing what we do for our hobby huh?:mrgreen:

Leah
10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
he he I figured there had to be a catch! :biggrin:

wickedfrags
10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Try a the Heavy Wash cycle, with a warm water wash and warm water rinse and this should get them clean.

I would not recommend the use of bleach at all given the amount of time and money we spend trying to keep chlorine out of our tanks. I have managed to get my filter socks clean for over 3 years without bleach. I imagine bleach is also harder on the filter socks themselves. I have never repalced a filter sock to date.

BC564
10-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I use normal cycle.......turn the filter sock inside out.....I add nothing

mark
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
-I turn my socks inside out and hose them in the laundry sink before adding to machine.
-about the bleach, when I pull them out of the machine, I can get a very slight smell of bleach but after sitting for a day nothing, but they usually don't go back in the tank for a week anyways
-been doing this for about 4 years with these socks and they look about the same as when I bought them

muck
10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
What is this thing you are refering too?!?... "Washing Machine".

Parker
10-22-2009, 02:58 PM
What is this thing you are refering too?!?... "Washing Machine".

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/RParker_07/NT3776591.jpg

viperfish
10-22-2009, 03:25 PM
On our front loader we have a "sanitize" cycle which runs very hot. I use it and no detergents or bleaches.

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I turn mine inside-out as well. I've been cleaning them in bleach for about 4 years as well. I actually found that washing them in hot water was worse for them deteriorating than washing in bleach ever was - the plastic rings got cracks in them after a hot wash.

The heavier cycle did the trick last night but it was just sorta disappointing to me I had to wait 1.5 hours instead of 15 minutes like with the older non-Energy-Star-Rated behemoth I had before. :lol: The express wash was only about 30 minutes but just didn't get the sock clean (but now I wonder if it's because I only did one sock).

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
medhatreefguy - It comes out white without using bleach or vinegar??

BC564
10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I dont use bleach or vinegar either...and I use cold water......havent had any issues at all.....i was actually very happy...and assumed all front loads did this.

Reefer Rob
10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
medhatreefguy - It comes out white without using bleach or vinegar??

Oh you want them snowy white. Mine come out slightly discolored. I'd be embarrassed to wear them, even though they make a stylish togue... although a little tight. Work like new in the aquarium though.

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
How many do you do at a time? Sad as it sounds, I sat there and watched it wash. I don't see how gently tumbling it could ever get it to come white without using bleach? You need to grind that brown out of it. Are two socks at a time enough? 3? I hate having to keep them in buckets until I have 2 or 3 ready to be cleaned, by that time it's so skanky and gross it makes you want to pass out from the smell!

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh you want them snowy white. Mine come out slightly discolored.

I guess this is the crucial piece of the puzzle that I was missing! :redface: Thanks. Yeah, I like them snowy white. :lol:

BC564
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
mine are very clean...not sparkling white...I take it out of service and straight to the front load washer as its dripping in a bucket....toss it in......so one at a time....

Delphinus
10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Ok, cold water, no detergent, no bleach, no vinegar, and one at time. What kind of freaky alien technology is YOUR washer? I wish I bought one of those then!!! What cycle are you using? Transporter technology? No seriously, what cycle are you using then?? How dirty are you letting them get before you wash?

JPotter
10-22-2009, 07:57 PM
My front loader cleans them without issue.

PS as wicked frags is watching threads a reply to my PM would be appreciated:)

BC564
10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
lol.......its just the normal cycle.....man your funny...oh..sorry.....and I change them as soon as they start to overflow out the top........ummm....but I do turn them inside out.

StirCrazy
10-23-2009, 02:34 PM
ok, this thread is seriously hurting the brotherhood of men and I request it be closed..

I can't believe your talking about laundry setting little lone know where the washer and dryer are..

it is suposed to work this way,

"honey, this is dirty can you make it clean"

Steve

Leah
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Do you not mean trip over it for a week :redface:

marie
10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
How many do you do at a time? Sad as it sounds, I sat there and watched it wash. I don't see how gently tumbling it could ever get it to come white without using bleach? You need to grind that brown out of it. Are two socks at a time enough? 3? I hate having to keep them in buckets until I have 2 or 3 ready to be cleaned, by that time it's so skanky and gross it makes you want to pass out from the smell!

I knew there was a reason I never used filter socks ....

Delphinus
10-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm on the fence whether I keep them for my new tank. On my cube it's basically a necessity because the sump length is too short (28" long, fits in the stand, it's a 30" cube) for the amount of flow the sump sees between the skimmer and the sump return itself, so without it, the tank has terrible microbubbles. They do help keep the water polished clean though and also work to prevent a gunk buildup in the sump, so they do have some advantages.

bulletsworld
10-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Glad I read this post cause I have been throwing my filter socks away and just buying new ones everytime. :shocked: I guess I didn't think you could wash them.

Thanks guys! I will try to wash mine too! :mrgreen: