PDA

View Full Version : Purchase question

ryan_p
08-25-2003, 07:29 AM
I am thinking of buying a lifereef overflow but I have never purchased from the states before so I am curious if anyone can give me a ball park figure of the approx. canadian dollar cost for brokerage fees and shipping on this $89 U.S. ($125 Can) overflow. Holy run on sentence batman!!

MalHavoc
08-25-2003, 12:03 PM
I'd figure on doubling the US price to get it to you, in Canadian dollars. So, $90 USD means $180 CDN in the end. I've had experiences ordering from the US in the past and it's usually around that, but the dollar is better now.

It depends on how it's shipped, too. If it comes across regular international mail, there may not be the huge brokerage fees that companies like UPS charge.

Troy F
08-25-2003, 03:14 PM
My guess is you won't save much by the time all the fees are taken into account and you add the exchange. For the headache it's worth support your Canadian vendors.

ldzielak
08-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Ryan

Sent you a PM

Lee

ryan_p
08-25-2003, 04:12 PM
For the headache it's worth support your Canadian vendors.

I'm not buying it to try and save money, normally I would by canadian, but these oveflows are supposed to be quite good and I don't want to use the cpr model. Any suggestions for canadian made overflows?

EmilyB
08-25-2003, 05:50 PM
It's not always possible to find in Canada the equipment we want to have, unfortunately.

Just be sure to tell the vendor you want it sent by mail, as not all have that option on their site. :mrgreen:

LostMind
08-26-2003, 08:37 AM
I am actually interested in the lifereef stuff as well, I just didnt know/realise they shipped to Canada.

I have a cpr setup that, quite frankly; sucks donkey nuts.

it always seems to kick in at the very last minute when I test/fake a power outtage by turning off my powerbars... BUt I am not a last minute kinda guy... I REALLY dislike the sight of my tank nearly overflowing because the cpr isnt full primed. And then, the water level stays higher then normal for quite sometime as the cpr SLOWLY catches up with the return pumps.

LostMind
08-26-2003, 08:37 AM
Ryan, perhaps we can place an order together and save some shipping fees? Whatcha think?

ryan_p
08-26-2003, 06:15 PM
I may be getting a used one, but if it falls through, I'm in for a life reef one. Good idea!!

Canadian Man
08-26-2003, 07:13 PM
I don't know if it's been said but there is no lifereef vendor in canada. The only option's for us canadians is CPR :lol: Which I know it's been said that they suck. Or you can make one yourself.

ryan_p
08-26-2003, 08:00 PM
I know.... They will ship to canada though.

MalHavoc
08-26-2003, 08:00 PM
You can buy Lifereef products directly from Lifereef, like most people have to, including American customers. He's a company of one person, and Jeff ships to Canada all the time.

LostMind
08-26-2003, 09:28 PM
I would make one myself, but I don't like to pay $45 for a small sheet of 3/8" lucite that will have just enough material to make one overflow without screwups... and trust me, I will screw up.

Anyone know any good places to pickup acrylic, etc?