PDA

View Full Version : bristle worms

Abe
10-22-2009, 02:03 AM
good day all, well couple of days ago, I found a bristle worm in one of the empty warm shell, so I took it out, and today I saw few others, some of them are in a live rock. is there a quick way of taking these creature out as i am going away for couple of months and my wife will be taking care of the tank while I am gone. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Abe.

BlueTang<3
10-22-2009, 02:06 AM
using a half inch pvc pipe with holes drilled in works place shrimp inside and plug off ends they will crawl in and cant get out or use your wifes nylon place shrimp in it they get caught in the nylons when trying to crawl up to the shrimp

Abe
10-22-2009, 02:13 AM
thanks, I will try that tomorrow wish me luck :)

Aquattro
10-22-2009, 02:25 AM
Why would you want to remove them?? I'd buy some if I could find someone selling!!

Abe
10-22-2009, 02:28 AM
well I heard and read that they can eat corals and clams and sometimes fish, I have seen a clip on UTube of a large bristle warm eating a whole fish. dont want that to happen to my tank lool.

BlueTang<3
10-22-2009, 02:30 AM
i know username kadan would sell you some his tank is crawling with them they i know they are a good cleaner but once they get 13 inches there nasty lol and can destroy a clam fast

Aquattro
10-22-2009, 02:35 AM
A bit far for me, but thanks. Ya, if you've got a 13" worm, that might be bad, but it's rare to see a worm that size. Most BWs are less than 2 inches, IME

BlueTang<3
10-22-2009, 02:39 AM
a orchid dottyback arrow crab or sally light foot crab will eat them also if your lazy to remove them

BlueWorldAquatic
10-22-2009, 03:03 AM
I trap them when they become a nusance (when out all the time), either than that they are great cleanup crew.

Ken

fragNplug
10-22-2009, 03:41 AM
I have a yellow coris wrasse that digs for them.

byee
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
using a half inch pvc pipe with holes drilled in works place shrimp inside and plug off ends they will crawl in and cant get out or use your wifes nylon place shrimp in it they get caught in the nylons when trying to crawl up to the shrimp

BT, how big are the holes you drill into the 1/2" PVC ??

I've got some pretty big BW's in my tank and would like to get rid of the larger ones. They're about 2 inches long.....perhaps 1/4 wide......4+ inches long stretched !

Very nasty and disgusting looking !!!

globaldesigns
10-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Bristle worms are good for the tank as they clean rock, sand and whatever else. I haven't seen them eat a fish, unless the fish is already dead, I don't think they have the ability to catch and kill.

I personally would leave them, I have lots myself... IMO it is a sign of a healthy tank.

parkinsn
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Unless they are big i would leave them. If you want to get rid of them i had a friend us something similar to the material that they use for aquarium nets to wrap a table shrimp in it with an elastic over it. put it in a night and the worms will be in it in the morning and then throw it out.