PDA

View Full Version : Adding DI to RO?

BlueOnTwo
10-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Okay up until now, I thought RO and RO/DI was the same...guess not? I have an RO unit that is built into my house for drinking water.
Would this water be suitable for a saltwater tank? Anything I can do to make it better? I would like to have fish/corals/lps...

Any ideas about adding just the DI unit?

If this is not okay, is there anywhere in Calgary that sells RO/DI water? I need about 80 gallons. If you know where, can you please post location and pricing?

Thanks

hillegom
10-21-2009, 06:59 AM
The water most likely will be suitable with your ro unit. How old are the filters? First buy an inexpensive TDS meter.(total dissolved solids). Then you will know the quality of the water before and after the RO. If the tds is too high upon exiting the RO filters, then you need to add the DI filter after the other filters. This would bring the levels down even more. It all depends on the quality of the water in, To how good the water is comming out. I cannot remember exactly what the % of removal is, but somewhere around 90-95%.
So if the tds into the filters is 100, then comming out is about 10.
A tds meter, will also tell you when to change filters.
For sure if you are going to have corals, then use that ro filter and buy a di filter as well.
I am sure someone in Calgary can tell you what the tap water is like in Calgary

wickedfrags
10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
The "DI" is the final component in the RO system. Not required for a reef tank but recommended for sure. You will not want DI for your drinking water, it makes it real bad. Don't need to spend a lot of money on an expensive unit, I have spend $150 and $850 (back in the day) for an RO unit, they provide the same results. I use a modified 100GPD aquasafe unit to protect my reef.

mike31154
10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
An add-on DI cartridge should be available for around $40. Depending on the system you have now, it simply needs to be plumbed in somewhere downstream of the RO membrane and after the drinking water supply. As mentioned, DI water is not pleasant or suitable for drinking since it's rather tasteless at 0 TDS.

BlueOnTwo
10-21-2009, 06:12 PM
I dont think installing a DI unit into my drinking water is feasible in my situation. RO makes water 95% pure and RO/DI makes it 99%. Is that 4% going to make a big difference? The cartridge for my RO was changed a couple months ago and is still new.

Should I be concerned about anything? Any other tests I can do other than the TDS? And if I do use just the RO water (which I most likely will), should I add any chemicals to help it?

Of course, I want the best for my tank but I guess I might have to settle for second best.

mike31154
10-21-2009, 06:27 PM
RO is better than tap water, so probably better to use it than not. DI functioning properly will provide 100% purity, not 99%. Should take the TDS to 0 as I mentioned before. The advantage to this is that you're starting without any unkowns with your system. It's not possible to tell what type of contaminants or solids that 5% TDS remaining in your RO water is. I started my system with tap water and am still dealing with somewhat of an algae problem. No telling how things will turn out for you, perhaps some folks from Calgary can chime in here as to the quality of your city water.

As far as testing for things other than TDS after the RO, that would be difficult without knowing what you're looking for and most hobby test kits would not provide any useful information at the very low levels you'd be looking at. No need to add any other chemicals after the RO either, unless you're dosing your salt mix to correct any levels that it may be deficient in, such as calcium, alkalinity or magnesium. The RO and carbon pre filters on your system should take care of the nasty chlorine which many fresh water hobbyists neutralize using tap water conditioner. You won't need to do that.

hillegom
10-21-2009, 06:31 PM
After you attach the DI, the output is only used for your aquarium. The output is not plumbed into your drinking water.
Which cartridge was changed? the ro membrane? or one of the filters before?
It all depends on the tds of the input water. If it was say 1000, then a DI would be very helpful

BlueOnTwo
10-22-2009, 06:50 AM
I believe all the filters were changed. I might have to go with just RO for now. Can anyone tell me if this will be OKAY? I know its not the best and can still have problems like algae..etc. But will I have major problems like dealing with coral..etc? If I really must, I will go and buy a DI unit (which will cause delay) or buy RO/DI water.

Also, will it be okay if I leave the water sitting in the tank for about a week? It will take me around that time to fill it up.

Thanks for the replies!!!

mike31154
10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Sounds like you're just starting out with a saltwater tank. Welcome to the forum by the way. If you are new to saltwater, take your time and do plenty of research. It's going to be a while before the system is ready for any livestock. If there's nothing in your system at this time, then there should be no problem using just the RO water for the time being. It will be fine sitting in the tank indefinitely. Just ensure the tank is good and clean, free of contaminants. You might want to provide a little circulation with a powerhead, especially if you're adding the salt mix.

BlueOnTwo
10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes I am new to saltwater and have been reading up alot on things...and I still have a ton more to learn. I am in the process of filling it with RO water. I will then add salt and check all parameters. Next will be adding liverock and cycling it for about a month. I will then add corals, lps, snails/shrimp..etc that dont need too much attention and wait another month to add fish. This is because I will be gone for a 10 days and will add fish after im back.
Does this sound like a good idea?

And good idea; I should use the powerhead to circulate the water.

mike31154
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Sounds like you've planned well, good luck. Tell us more about your system, size etc and whether you plan on running a sump and so on. Also check some of the tank build threads. One of the members here, Myka, has some excellent links in her signature with information on starting a tank, cycling etc. Here's a link to her 90 gallon build thread, as mentioned, the info links will be at the bottom of any of her posts in her signature area.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52501

BlueOnTwo
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks again. I have already read those links =)

hillegom
10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Your doing fine. Keep up the good work and the reading

BlueOnTwo
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I checked at the LFS and they charged 45cents a gallon of RO/DI water. So about 40 bucks for my 80 gallons. If the DI unit is only $40, I might as well invest in one. How much would a good one cost, what brand should I look for and how would I hook it up to my house's drinking water? Some more info would be great!

Is the DI part of the process just another filter? I was planning on buying a single canister and putting a DI filter in it after the water has passed through my RO filter. Is this how it is done?

hillegom
10-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Is the DI part of the process just another filter? I was planning on buying a single canister and putting a DI filter in it after the water has passed through my RO filter. Is this how it is done?

Yes thats how it is done. Add a T anywhere before the tap at the sink. Add the DI
Good to go. Water for the aquarium

mike31154
10-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Definitely on the right track. A housing, DI cartridge, some tubing and a John Guest tee should do it. Try to get a refillable DI filter, it will be a little more cost effective than the throw aways since you'll be able to buy the DI beads in bulk.

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=39&Sub=127

http://bwiplumbing.com/ca/index.php/water-filtration/replacement-filters/refillable-filter-cartridge.html

BlueOnTwo
10-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Nice. Thats exactly what I needed to know.

Does anyone have experience with the one in the link above? Know of any better deals?

Thanks guys.

mike31154
10-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Just threw those links in for info. I purchased my system from BWI, no experience with Buckeye. BWI may be shutting down their online business, the owner got busy with other ontracts or something. Here's another link, to BRS, they seem to be a popular vendor and sponsor here as well I think. Again, no personal experience but I've heard good things.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filters-&-Systems-RO-Canisters/c9_97/index.html