PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma dying

sarzeff
10-20-2009, 05:05 PM
My Royal Gramma is dying and I'm not sure why. My other fish looks fine and the water all tests well. She had a bit of ick but was treated and seemed to be doing great, then a few days ago she started hiding again and now is pretty much dead this morning. It doesn't look like ick at all has come back...no white spots. Any ideas? She was possibly older when I bought her as our LFS doesn't have a high turnover rate and she was hiding in the reef tank. She's a big fish and was big since I got her so I suspected she may have been older.

Chin_Lee
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
sorry to hear but thats just the nature of our hobby - many fishes will live, many more will die. I find the grammas either do really well or die within the first week (if not days).

sarzeff
10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
I've had it for quite a while and was doing well. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas what might have caused it, if it was something I could prevent from happening to other fish.

Leah
10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
That is interesting I have had two and both have done extremely well good indicators of how good your water is (I remember reading that somewhere.)

sarzeff
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
I got one because they were supposed to be hardy ad a good beginner fish from what I read so that is interesting to hear Leah. It was the second fish I put in the tank the first being a blue damsel. I added them both shortly after the tank cycled. I was wondering if maybe the ick wasn't really gone even though the spots went away? or maybe it wasn't even ick? I just took a look at her (she'd dead now) and not a spot on her. Just seems weird that the ick seeminly went away and she bounced back and was doing great then faded really quickly.

Perhaps the shock of being moved around and treated made her more sensitive to problems in my water. I didn't buy a really high end test kit so maybe I'm not seeing what is going on?