PDA

View Full Version : Detritus in sump

Dez
10-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Anybody have any sweet ideas on getting the detritus off the bottom of the sump. Everything else is above ground level so it's easy for me to siphon the detritus off the bottom of my other tanks. But my sump is on the ground.... Anybody make some sort of "vacuum" for this purpose? Thanks.

leducreef
10-20-2009, 04:32 AM
yep lol hook up a small pump to a lfs vac hose
works for me !

banditpowdercoat
10-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Take a little powerhead, and put a filtersock on the outlet. Fine filtersock, finer than 100 micron, and a small powerhead. Mini-jet comes to mind. To much flow will blow the detritus right through the sock.

tlo
10-20-2009, 04:42 AM
a wet/dry shop vac works great as well.

robert
10-20-2009, 04:54 AM
or python (http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html) if water tap is close by

bvlester
10-20-2009, 04:58 AM
As tlo said "a wet/dry shop vac works great as well." but get the smallest one they have as the 4.5 horse power will suck it dry in about 5 seconds. Thats the only shop vac I have and it's way to big. I use it to suck out the lines for my inground pool 10 gallon holding tank full in 5 seconds or less.

Bill

Dez
10-20-2009, 05:01 AM
yep lol hook up a small pump to a lfs vac hose
works for me !

What's LFS? Local fish store is what I know it to be.

Delphinus
10-20-2009, 06:00 AM
I drain the sump and then use a shop vac..

lastlight
10-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Why not run a few small powerheads in there so it doesn't settle in your sump?

Dez
10-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I drain the sump and then use a shop vac..

Yikes, that means I'd have to drain 60 gallons of water....

lastlight
10-20-2009, 06:32 PM
I'll likely be trying out the Eheim sludge extractor for sandbed maintenance. It's not terribly expensive and will be pretty convenient...

mr.wilson
10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Try to siphon it down to a lower level somehow (basement or run the hose outside). Otherwise, use a shop vac. You can siphon or pump out the clean water first, save it, then use the shop vac on the bottom.

Reefer Rob
10-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Haven't found a pump that doesn't plug up when I do that job. I just use a baster into a filter sock.

mr.wilson
10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I put big non-reef safe inverts like chocolate chip stars, general stars, green Philippine (fish eating) serpent stars, urchins, big hermits, and crabs in the sump. They are voracious feeders and will eat detritus if that's all that is available.

Alternatively, a diatom filter will polish the water in the sump. Turn off the sump return pump and stir it up for the diatom to pull it out.

Dez
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Try to siphon it down to a lower level somehow (basement or run the hose outside). Otherwise, use a shop vac. You can siphon or pump out the clean water first, save it, then use the shop vac on the bottom.

My sump is on the basement floor, pretty much the lowest level possible. I wanted to put the sump on a stand, but I need room for 2 more tanks about the sump....

Ross
10-20-2009, 10:38 PM
My sump is on the basement floor, pretty much the lowest level possible. I wanted to put the sump on a stand, but I need room for 2 more tanks about the sump....

That basement has to have a floor drain some where...

Delphinus
10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe just pick up some used Korallia 3's or 4's and just have them on in the sump. It probably won't be a perfectly 100% detritus-free sump but the spots where it does collect will be hopefully smaller and thus easier to suck it up with a turkey baster.

In Big Als here in Calgary, they have a demo-reef tank with a sump that has 5 or 6 skimmers in it. The sump is so churned up that there is no detritus in it at all. So it's possible to have a clean sump but most of us aren't heavily overskimming like that (and I don't recall if the tank has any fish in it, so it might be all low-bioload stuff anyhow).

mr.wilson
10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't tell me the force of gravity is going top stop you :)

If your sump is sloped, which can be as easy as shimming it, the detritus will settle at the low end. Set up the shop vac for a quick 10 second suction to pull out the detritus and leave the rest of the water.

muck
10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Used to use a Fluval Canister filter modified with slightly longer hoses. Ran it with no media and output hose in a filtersock. Worked great for me. :wink: