PDA

View Full Version : How are lionfish to keep?

banditpowdercoat
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking of a Lionfish for my 150. I am planning another porc Puffer and Foxface as well. Wondering, How well do Lionfish get along with others?? Other tankmates are Hippo, Yellow and Sailfin Tang, Checkerboard wrasse, pair of clowns and a Watchman goby. I may have to move the watchman to my 45g, and gt him a piston shrimp cmpanion. But how easy are Lionfish to keep?

What about the sting's? I've heard some say most aggonizing pain, others, it's like a bee sting?

sphelps
10-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking of a Lionfish for my 150. I am planning another porc Puffer and Foxface as well. Wondering, How well do Lionfish get along with others?? Other tankmates are Hippo, Yellow and Sailfin Tang, Checkerboard wrasse, pair of clowns and a Watchman goby. I may have to move the watchman to my 45g, and gt him a piston shrimp cmpanion. But how easy are Lionfish to keep?

What about the sting's? I've heard some say most aggonizing pain, others, it's like a bee sting?
Depends on the lionfish, what kind were you thinking? They'll eat other fish if they can so you have to be careful on size but shouldn't bother larger fish.

I wouldn't worry about the sting, it's strictly a defense thing and not aggression. It's very rare but people that are stung may tell different stories, more than likely some are simply more sensitive to it than others.

Dez
10-19-2009, 03:53 PM
A lionfish would probably eat your clowns. I had one a few years ago and though a flame angel was large enough, but unfortunately, the second day we had the flame angel, the lionfish had an $80 meal. We saw the shape of the angel in his belly. :(

whatcaneyedo
10-19-2009, 06:16 PM
This is a great article that may help you decide on which type would be best suited for your tank. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

subman
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I love my lion and he is generally very peaceful, I have 2 large black percs, a falco hawkfish, a lawnmower blenny and other large fish. He hasn't touched any of them. That being said I bought a beautiful goat fish that I thought was to big for him to eat...... I was wrong he saw that Goat and his mouth started twitching his eyes were focused and I could almost see the drool!!! I couldn't get the goat out fast enough...he was dinner. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security and have to remember that they CAN eat anything they can fit in their mouth. I love mine tough and can't imagine not having im.
J

TheMikey
10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Just curious about your percs, Subman, are they paired with an anemone?

I'm glad that they're getting along with the lion, but it seems odd. I've always been told that lions will voraciously devour anything that fits in their mouth (kind of like Rosie O'Donnell - so I've heard).

While I would never condone doing this: I think it would be rather interesting to see the behaviour of clowns paired with an anemone in a tank with a predator. Except for the stress of the poor clowns :(

noirsphynx
10-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I love my lion and he is generally very peaceful, I have 2 large black percs, a falco hawkfish, a lawnmower blenny and other large fish. He hasn't touched any of them. That being said I bought a beautiful goat fish that I thought was to big for him to eat...... I was wrong he saw that Goat and his mouth started twitching his eyes were focused and I could almost see the drool!!! I couldn't get the goat out fast enough...he was dinner. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security and have to remember that they CAN eat anything they can fit in their mouth. I love mine tough and can't imagine not having im.
J

Oh no, that beautiful Goat you picked out became dinner. Sorry to hear that!

bulletsworld
10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
This is my second lionfish and both have been volitan lionfish. Most fish seem to know to stay away from Lionfish, so your porc puffer (exception: my last puffer got blinded in one eye cause the lionfish), foxface, Hippo, Yellow and Sailfin Tang would be fine. However; your Checkerboard wrasse, pair of clowns and a Watchman goby would evenually be a nice snack for your lionfish. It's true that what ever fits in his mouth will be food. Buying a small lionfish is best choice as they grow fast.

Just tip. make sure the lionfish is eating frozen Mysis or Krill. I did the mistake of not asking before mine was bagged and now I am feeding live feeders . :shocked: Although its been a neat experiance to cheer my lionfish (named Chemo) to get the feeder fish. Feeder fish are to initiate feeding, then ween to get them to eat Mysis or Krill. I've had good luck with already switching my lionfish to Mysis in less than a week. Another tip I just learned about lionfish, don't feed them everyday. Do you know how they get sluggish and lazy, you see this all the time in stores... only feed ever couple of days. My first lionfish was really lazy, barely moved. I tryed this tip with the new lionfish and he is so active! It works!

The sting... A fellow reefer was cleaning his tank and the lionfish brushed up against him. He described it as at first like a bee sting and then the pain got worse and worse. He had said at one point he begged his brother to cut his arm off it hurt so bad. He also said it felt like the poison was traveling in his bloodstream working its way to his heart, as he could feel the intense burn. He had a nice hospital ride as he thought he was going to die. When he came home he sold the fish immediately. I will try to find his post, it was a few years back. That scared me enough to take his word for it and buy aqua gloves. :lol: I have read in articles to stop the sting and pain to pour hot water on the arm that got stung and it will help break up the toxin that has entered. I just wear my gloves or watch that my lionfish is on the opposite side of the tank.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

sphelps
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM
The sting... A fellow reefer was cleaning his tank and the lionfish brushed up against him. He described it as at first like a bee sting and then the pain got worse and worse. He had said at one point he begged his brother to cut his arm off it hurt so bad. He also said it felt like the poison was traveling in his bloodstream, as he could feel the intense burn. He had a nice hospital ride as he thought he was going to die. When he came home he sold the fish immediately. I will try to find his post, it was a few years back. That scared me enough to take his word for it and buy aqua gloves. :lol:

If that guy treated his sting with hot water, he probably would have prevented a trip to the hospital. It's always good to know the first aid treatments for these types of things if you plan on keeping them.

I've been stung by corals many times and I remember at first I would tough it out and it would hurt real bad later on but eventually I smartened up and I now treat them with vinegar right after and I never have problems of the sort anymore.

bulletsworld
10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
If that guy treated his sting with hot water, he probably would have prevented a trip to the hospital. It's always good to know the first aid treatments for these types of things if you plan on keeping them.

I have read in articles to stop the sting and pain to pour boiling hot water on the arm that got stung and it will help break up the toxin that has entered. I just wear my gloves or watch that my lionfish is on the opposite side of the tank. Great minds think alike, as I did add this to my post while you must of posted.

Yes, I have read that before about the hot water, although I have no experiance with the treatment as I've never been stung as of yet and hope I never do. I do agree people should be aware of the first aid treatments for these fish. :mrgreen:

sphelps
10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Not boiling water :shocked!: Just hot water (non-scalding, 100-110 degrees F)

Boiling water could make things much worse :lol:

subman
10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
My lion was small when I added him and he grew up with the percs and the other small fish I don't think he see's them as food. The clowns were hosting in an anemone but have since moved to a torch I don't think they feel much stress from the lion.

bulletsworld
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Not boiling water :shocked!: Just hot water (non-scalding, 100-110 degrees F)

Boiling water could make things much worse :lol:

EDIT: O.k not BOILING water. :lol: :lol: Thanks for the correction.

I found a good but short article on first aid for these fish.

"Lion Fish
Description
The lion-fish belongs to the Scorpion fish family.
This brightly coloured fish is usually found in coral reefs, especially in shallow waters hovering in caves or near crevices. Lion-fish have venomous fin spines that can produce painful puncture wounds.
Fatalities, however, are rare.

The fish have elongated dorsal fin spines and enlarged pectoral fins, and each species has a particular pattern of zebra like stripes.
A person punctured by one of the sharp spines will immediately feel strong pain. Rapid swelling of the affected body area develops along with the possibility of making movement of limbs very difficult. Lion-fish stings can cause nausea, breathing difficulties, paralysis, convulsions and collapse. Even death may occur in exceptional circumstances. Most people survive in spite of the great pain. The venom in the spines remains active for days, so even discarded spines should be treated with caution. It may take several months for a full recovery and if the sting is left untreated, gangrene may develop.

First Aid
At first immerse the affected area (most often a hand or foot) into hot water. This is thought to improve the blood flow and disperse the venom. Local anesthetic agents may provide deep relief in most cases and occasionally a nerve-block may be required. An X-ray of the wound should be performed to detect any presence of broken spines, so any possible infection can be prevented."

http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/the-great-barrier-reef/lionfish.htm

:mrgreen:

Ellie_A
10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
We have a dwarf zebra lionfish, no issues at all with him. He doesn't bother any of the inverts (although he ate 2 very small peppermint shrimp when I put them in there, my fault, they were just too small. He's fine with the larger cleaner shrimp).

I haven't been stung yet so no comments to give on that one.

The only issue I could see happening is him not competing well for food with the other faster moving fish you haved on your list. If you can get him eating frozen food then it shouldn't be a problem as you can feed him with tweezers. Mine was eating only live when I got him (ghost shrimp mostly) but now eats frozen krill and mysis.