PDA

View Full Version : Mantis dropping it's "punchers"

Dez
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I've had this mantis shrimp for about 5 months now, it's about 6 inches long (yeah, it's a big one) and about 2 months ago he just decided to drop it's punching appendage. I didn't think anything of it, but it's been a couple of months and he hasn't grown any back. He used to punch the feeding stick, but for the past 2 month, he just swims up, takes the food and eats it.

This is the only fuzzy picture of him I have (I'd take another one but I'm at work and don't have my cord for the camera)

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0585.jpg?t=1255960263

I'm certain he's healthy, I just miss the punching and showing friends what the mantis does.

Anybody have this happen to them before?

Ephraim
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
did it just molt? it may have lost it in a molting complication. Or it could have been injured in use. It should grow back in time, given several molts.

great looking mantis by the way. Ever consider adding some sand? They really like digging around in it, good enrichment activity for them. A smart animal likes this needs to be kept occupied.

Edit: It hasn't killed the shrimp in there?!! i think you got a broken mantis....

Dez
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
did it just molt? it may have lost it in a molting complication. Or it could have been injured in use. It should grow back in time, given several molts.

great looking mantis by the way. Ever consider adding some sand? They really like digging around in it, good enrichment activity for them. A smart animal likes this needs to be kept occupied.

Edit: It hasn't killed the shrimp in there?!! i think you got a broken mantis....

Thanks for the advice. No, he didn't molt when he lost the appendages. There is sand in the mantis tank. The picture was taken at the store before I brought him home 5 months ago. The shrimp is in a compartment next door just tempting him :). There was no sand in the invert bank at the store. He does like digging in the sand, the sand looks different every day :).

gobytron
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I think a pretty common problem for these creatures in captivity is lack of proper calcium available to them.

Most people have mantis' in a small separate tank from their display and don't do enough water changes to keep up with their needs. and the smaller water volume.

Whats your calcium and alkalinity like?

Dez
10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Ahhhhh, that's probably the problem. I didn't even think of calcium. I have never tested the calcium in the tank because there are just softies in there and they're doing well. I should bring some water from my sps tank and do water changes with that water. I'll see how that goes over the next few weeks. Thanks for the advice.