PDA

View Full Version : tank is crashing

smokinreefer
04-09-2002, 09:31 PM
just need someplace to vent...

just when i started to like the look of my tank, it is going through a crash. to make things worse, i am going on vacation on friday and wont be able to tend to the tank. i'll see what shape my tank is in when i get back. to decide what i will do.

it looks like i will lose all my montiporas
-monti cap colony, several frags of it
-brown digitata colony
-green digitata colonies
-purple digitata colony
-orange digitata frag
-brown/grey with lavender tips monti sp
-green monti cap frag
-lavender with blue polyped monti cap frags
-purple rimmed cap frag

several acros
-purple tip frag dead
-green tip frag dead
-metallic pink acro milli frag dead
-pink birdsnest
-green bottle brush frag
-purple acro colony
-tan milli colony
-tri color frags

it looks like the above mentioned are goners...
FWIW all the fish are fine, softies look fine as well, clams are OK too.the rest of the colonies are showing very little polyp extension, though a few colonies still look happy, pocilloporas, birdnest and porites.

i have been doing water changes for the last few days and will continue to do so up until i leave for vacation.

i hope things get better while i'm gone.

[ 09 April 2002, 17:52: Message edited by: smokinreefer ]

Troy F
04-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. Maybe one of the reefers around your neck of the woods could reef sit for you? At least do water changes, how long are you away?

smokinreefer
04-09-2002, 09:59 PM
i'll be gone for a week.

i think things are beginning to right itself now. but the affected corals dont look like they have any chance of surviving.

i can get someone to continue with daily waterchanges. i've tested my water and all my parameters have been good and stable...so i think my course of action will be to continue with daily water changes for the next few weeks until the tank fully recovers.

wish me luck.

Troy F
04-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Good luck!

DJ88
04-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Shao,

Anything you want you can store here. ie anything you maybe able to save.

Call me.

smokinreefer
04-09-2002, 10:14 PM
thanks darren.
i will see what things look like in the next couple of days.
hey...we can set up and have your 120 fully stocked in a single day!! tongue.gif

DJ88
04-09-2002, 10:17 PM
lol.. If you want I am home tonight.. I can put extra lighting on my sump to keep it going as well as in my tank.

You may want to get some of them into stable water asap.

Jack
04-09-2002, 11:43 PM
what happend? why do tanks just crash??

That must suck shao, I cant imagine...

Shadetree
04-10-2002, 12:07 AM
smokin,

I feel for you, I have been fighting a wicked algae cycle the last month or so that had a few casualties also.

Scott

titus
04-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Hello,

Geez, and I just had a problem with my IceCap. Andy (President of IceCap) told me to send it back for repair. There's always dark forces at work..... :eek:

christyf5
04-10-2002, 01:59 AM
Oh man that is horrible. I'd probably lose it if my tank crashed. Although on the other hand it would probably kill all the algae.... :D

Good luck.

Christy smile.gif

One_Divided
04-10-2002, 05:13 AM
really sorry to hear man.. :( I hope things come around for you! If I could do anything for you, I would, but I'm sorta useless over here on the island.. good luck!

Delphinus
04-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Have you etablished a cause yet?

Because what immediately comes to my eye is that it's all (or at least mostly) SPS that is suffering. Which makes me wonder if it's not so much a "crash" but a very nasty bout of RTN. I am just getting into SPS and already I have suffered nasty losses of SPS just by introducing one little frag with RTN -- have now lost entire colonies because of it.

The other thing I noticed that you have a macroalgae refugium in your sump. This too can be a problem. I found that macros are an awesome way to pull nasties out of the water column, but if you miss a sporalation (sp?) man it take forever to recover from that if it's a significant piece that goes on you. Nothing like going from 0ppm NO3 to >80ppm NO3 in a matter of 24 hours. This has happened to me twice now. Ugh. For my NEXT refugium I want to go with more non-sporalating species of macros and keep the caulerpas and halimedas to a minimum (BTW, I can speak from experience, halimeda CAN sporalate on you ... not as often as caulerpa in my case but just as nasty an explosion).

Good luck!

SuperFudge
04-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Holy ....!

Sorry to hear Shao,could i still help?

All is well now?

Marc.

smokinreefer
04-11-2002, 07:22 PM
i havent isolated the cause thus far...and i dont think i ever will.

i dont believe it to be rtn...i have seen that before and it is alot swifter in its destruction than what i am seeing in my tank.

the damage seems to be done with now...*fingers crossed*

hopefully everything should be on its way to recovery...i'll have to wait and see what my tank looks like when i get back in a week.

atleast things arent going downhill anymore...or else that would just ruin my vacation. i mean how could i enjoy some R&R if i am worrying about my tank, right?

if there is reefgod out there...please let my tank be OK when i get back, please!!!

DJ88
04-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Shao,

Call me tonight if you haven't gone on vacation yet.. I may know what is causing this. Looks like I am having some problems in my tank as well.
:mad:

[ 12 April 2002, 13:26: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Jack
04-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Well, what is it Darren?! spit it out, the suspense is killing me :D