PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon/Flashing Tilefish

Myka
10-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Does anyone have experience with this fish? Our local vendor has brought them in a few times, and they're pretty cool looking. My Google searches haven't come up with much information, although one website suggests they should be kept in groups of 3 or more. That's a bit of a turn off since the fish are retailing for well over $100 each. I have been trying to decide what my feature fish will be...

Myka
10-20-2009, 01:58 AM
No one? Hmmm...interesting.

workn2hard2day
10-20-2009, 02:14 AM
I had never heard of this fish before so, I just googled/youtubed it. Very interesting fish, would love to see one first hand.

BlueWorldAquatic
10-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Hoplolatilus Chlupatyi aka Chameleon Tilefish

This amazing fish changes colors from yellow to bright blue to green to dark blue.

Size: 2-3 inches
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Docile
Reef Safe: Yes
Diet: Pellet, Brine
Acclimation Time: 3+ hours

Chlupaty's Tilefish is a slender fish that is not seen often in the aquarium trade. It is also known as the Flashing or Chameleon Tilefish due to its ability to rapidly change its coloration when stressed.This is a mid-water species that likes to hide amongst rocks and coral. They will eat frozen foods and possibly flake over time.

Gobies are relatively hardy and should get along well with other tankmates, though they can show aggression toward other gobies.

We have about 6 arriving next week.

Ken - BWA

Myka
10-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks Ken. That's about all I could find for info too. I am wondering if they are happy without being in a shoal, and also if they tend to not change colors much or at all once they are acclimated and settled into a tank? Without the color changing effect they are kinda plain. :lol:

BlueWorldAquatic
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I talked to the supplier, they said that they madly change when scred or moved. After than they start to acclimate, and flash one in awhile. Should be in groups of 3 or more, or they tend to hide.

I got a few coming this week, so I'll see what happends.

Ken

noirsphynx
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Makes me want a larger tank to house a shoal. I can't wait to come see these guys in person.

BlueWorldAquatic
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Makes me want a larger tank to house a shoal. I can't wait to come see these guys in person.

Sis I say we were getting them? err.. I think I said we though we were getting them.

heh

Ken

Leah
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
What! Ken is your brother and you don't have a gigantic tank?!! LOL

sphelps
10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Sis I say we were getting them? err.. I think I said we though we were getting them.

heh
What! Ken is your brother and you don't have a gigantic tank?!! LOL
For some reason the word inbred is coming to mind :wink::wink:

noirsphynx
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
:rofl::pound:

BlueWorldAquatic
10-20-2009, 04:43 PM
errr. "sis" = "did" :redface: gotta start looking at the keyboard one in awhile.

If I did have a "sis" that looked like that I'd be too busy fighting off all the creeps

Kne

Leah
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
The plot seems to thickening!!!!

sphelps
10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
hahah, I guess Kne must be one of the brothers :lol:

Can't wait to meet Nek

:wink:

Leah
10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
And it seems that his typing to fast is rather catchy!

mr.wilson
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree that they need to be kept in a group of 3 or 5. They are a schooling fish that physiologically require to feed and swim in a group. If you buy just one, it will hide a lot and it will be a reluctant feeder. Of course there are exceptions, but in general they get skinny and die in solitary condition.

The skunk tilefish (H marcosi) and dusky tile (H cuniculus) are ugly ones that often get shipped as substitutes, but the purple tilefish (H. purpureus) is more colourful than the flasher, but the flasher is cool to watch. Bluehead tile (H Sytarki) is pretty colorful too. They will cross-school so you could mix and match.

They need caves to hide in, where they stay as a tight group. They are jumpers, so you should cover the tank for the first week. I start feeding with live food (baby guppies and baby brine), then transition them over to frozen meaty foods (frozen brine, plankton, krill).

noirsphynx
10-20-2009, 08:35 PM
errr. "sis" = "did" :redface: gotta start looking at the keyboard one in awhile.

If I did have a "sis" that looked like that I'd be too busy fighting off all the creeps

Kne

:redface::biggrin::redface:

hahah, I guess Kne must be one of the brothers :lol:

Can't wait to meet Nek

:wink:

:lol:

Myka
10-21-2009, 02:46 AM
I agree that they need to be kept in a group of 3 or 5. They are a schooling fish that physiologically require to feed and swim in a group. If you buy just one, it will hide a lot and it will be a reluctant feeder. Of course there are exceptions, but in general they get skinny and die in solitary condition.

The skunk tilefish (H marcosi) and dusky tile (H cuniculus) are ugly ones that often get shipped as substitutes, but the purple tilefish (H. purpureus) is more colourful than the flasher, but the flasher is cool to watch. Bluehead tile (H Sytarki) is pretty colorful too. They will cross-school so you could mix and match.

They need caves to hide in, where they stay as a tight group. They are jumpers, so you should cover the tank for the first week. I start feeding with live food (baby guppies and baby brine), then transition them over to frozen meaty foods (frozen brine, plankton, krill).

Thanks for your input! That's more info that the ole 'net came up with. I think I will continue my search for the perfect center piece fish.

fishyfishyfishyfish
12-07-2009, 03:34 AM
3 or 5 is malarky. They are pairing fish and a pair will do just fine. I have a pair in a 125 and they are 4+ inches and I feed ONLY flake. They are, BTW, the nicest pair Ive ever seen... And they mostly glow a deep azure blue so to those who think the purples are more colorful- you are CRAZY! And mine change colors when they see me (food source obviously).

They also turn WAY MORE than just green and blue- white, yellow, orange, purple and pink are a few Ive seen personally. If you get to see them in the mood for a little mating then its even better... Though Ive never had any luck coming even close to breeding them.

They dont need babying or anything... except they are CRAZY skittish. Stand up from the couch abruptly and they will launch themselves if startled. Covered tank only.

They are EASY to keep if you meet these requirements-

100 gallon or bigger tank

3+ inches sand (they dive into it like bombs are exploding)

LOTS of cover

low light- I have 40 watts over the 125- thats it.

Mine eat flake from my fingers. A good high quality flake is the BEST food for your fish- sad but true. My entire tank is supposedly "carnivores" (wrasses, gobies, assessors, clowns- MOST ANYTHING) yet Ive only fed flake with bits of protein enhanced mysis on RARE occasion. Some fish do have fussy eating but 95% - its all about flake.

Sadly most information is to make money, not healthy fish!

Flashing tilefish are by far the best fish Ive seen in over 20 years...