PDA

View Full Version : Unfamiliar Type of Algae

Eb0la11
10-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey guys,

So a quick update for those of you unfamiliar with my situation. Ive got a "newish" tank thats probably just under 2 months old. Things have been going well. No casualties or mishaps so far other than one carpet surfer.

So, naturally, Ive gone through a stint of algae.

I first had the neon green diatom type algae all over the walls
Then I had the 8-12" long strands of what I think was hair algae
I then bought a sea hare and that disappeared and now there is a new kind of algae that he doesnt seem to be eating, but its only been here a few days.

It's plastic-like feeling and grows in a couple different ways. Some of it gross almost like leaves of lettuce and gets pretty big. I plucked those off before they got massive but they were getting about the size of a tennis ball but just one kind of crinkled leaf swaying in the current - very plastic feeling.

Next there are single strand pieces of algae that are also quite plastic-like but there are a lot of them only about an inch tall so far. They resemble hair strands but from my knowledge this isnt hair algae per se as proof since my sea hare doesnt seem to be eating it.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I might be up against and what might help combat it? I am slowly adding a few tangs, I have a Tamini Tang and a Blue Tang but the BT is in a quarantine right now for small traces of ick which he's showing signs of almost being ready for reitroduction into the DT.

Thanks for the help guys.

fkshiu
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
I betcha it's brown wafer algae (Lobophora Variegata)

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=Lobophora+Variegata&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=OrHbStGSNpG-sgOvpOGRBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CBwQsAQwAw

If it is then naso tangs and foxfaces are known consumers if your tank is big enough. My Naso gobbled up my brown wafer issue within a matter of a day or so.

Myka
10-19-2009, 02:06 AM
I was going to suggest Sargassum for the rubbery stuff. Not sure on the hair algae that's not hair algae. Can you get a pic?

FYI, the "neon green diatom algae" was very likely green cyanobacteria.

Sargassum (I've seen a form of it to have big leaves without the stalk too):
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/Reneecoles/sargassum.jpg

Eb0la11
10-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Hmmm, the brown wafer algae sounds sort of close but not quite. It grows but yet feels like a fake plant if that makes sense. Its pale green too. I just rip it out when it get too big, its only growing in two spots so far.

The hair stuff I'll try to get a shot of tonight and see what you guys think. My camera sucks though so it wont do much help but I'll see what you guys think.

Sounds like I'll need to get myself a fox face and a yellow tang though to help control algaes anyways and also I like both the fish so it wont hurt.

naesco
10-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, the brown wafer algae sounds sort of close but not quite. It grows but yet feels like a fake plant if that makes sense. Its pale green too. I just rip it out when it get too big, its only growing in two spots so far.

The hair stuff I'll try to get a shot of tonight and see what you guys think. My camera sucks though so it wont do much help but I'll see what you guys think.

Sounds like I'll need to get myself a fox face and a yellow tang though to help control algaes anyways and also I like both the fish so it wont hurt.

What is the size of your tank?