PDA

View Full Version : 8 hour power interruption

EmilyB
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
for our area on Tuesday I guess. :sad:

How long does it take a 65g tank to cool off ? Any tips for keeping it warm?

I've got a battery air pump. I was thinking of putting tin foil on the glass.

Never had to deal with the power out this long before, and especially this time of year...

Skimmerking
10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Deb get a power supply from Canadian tire i bought one for 229 and it will run my tank for 12 hours on my mag 12

sphelps
10-18-2009, 10:22 PM
If you know when it's coming insulate the tank with some foam from HD and make sure the top is sealed. By doing so you won't loose much heat at all and everything will be fine. Aluminum foil would be a poor choice, although it provides excellent insulation against radiant heat transfer it does virtually nothing for conduction which is what the tank will experience.

I've had a few long power cuts and the most dangerous part was a result from lack of oxygen not temperature. It would be best to have a back up power supply or at very least a battery powered air pump.

slakker
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
We had a 4 hour outage and it was really touch and go... I put an airstone in on UPS, but went and picked up a 3500 W generator from Costco the next day... for $350, I think it's worth protecting the investment in the tank...

Pazil
10-19-2009, 12:16 AM
What area?

for our area on Tuesday I guess. :sad:

How long does it take a 65g tank to cool off ? Any tips for keeping it warm?

I've got a battery air pump. I was thinking of putting tin foil on the glass.

Never had to deal with the power out this long before, and especially this time of year...

Delphinus
10-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Aiiyeee, 8 hours. That's a little too dicey if you ask me.

What of renting a generator from a tool rental place?

Red Coral Aquariums
10-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Blankets and 10 dollars worth of heat packs from Walmart. Tape them to the glass and completely cover your tank with blankets. A small ups or battery operated air stone or small pump for surface agitation will work for an 8 hr period

Kevin

365seasons
10-19-2009, 04:06 AM
what area??:idea:

EmilyB
10-19-2009, 05:20 AM
We are in Scenic Acres, they have signs up.

rkelman
10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Get a generator. They are nice to have and if you look around you can get a small one reasonably cheap . If you can't afford one go rent one seeing as you know when the power outage will be... I wouldn't take a chance with a 8 hour outage.