PDA

View Full Version : Deal or No Deal?

viperfish
10-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I am buying the following set up;

180 Gallon Drilled Tank 6' x 2' x 2'
Stand (Needs Work, it's just plywood painted black over 2x4 framing)
Coralife 6', 3 x 150W MH and PC Actinic
2 Aqua Medic OR3500 Pumps
45 Gallon Sump
18W UV Sterilizer
1 Koralia 4 Powerhead
Coralife Dual Timer Powerstrip
Aqua Euro USA 265 Downdraft Skimmer
2 Visitherm heaters
All plumbing included as well

I am getting everything for $1500.00. My biggest fear is the lighting. I don't plan to do SPS but I have a Green Carpet anemone that I want to keep, I also want to keep LPS and soft corals. Is the 150W x 3 MH going to be sufficient for a carpet? A BTA would be fine because it will move up whereas carpets generally like to settle where the sand meets the rock. Also does this look like a great deal overall (it's only one year old)?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a decent deal. The 150w is a little low for 24" (that's about the max. depth I would recommend before upgrading to 250w). Maybe if you have a 10000k Geisemann over the Carpet, then the PAR would be good enough. Also, with anemones, if adequately fed, that can compensate somewhat for the lower light level.

viperfish
10-18-2009, 06:18 PM
The lighting is my biggest fear. If it was 250 watt I would have no reservation, I am currently running 250's on my 110 lps/sps with no problem and it's 30" tall. Who sells Geismann bulbs? I usually shop at J&L and they don't carry them.

sphelps
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
150W will be fine for LPS and your carpet. If you where overly concerned you could always run 10K bulbs which on on average will produce more par than a 250W 20K.

I run 250W 14K and they'll cook most LPS corals if placed too close. I would definitely say 150W would be better if you're not keeping SPS.

I believe you could also just switch the ballasts and bulbs down the road if you wanted to upgrade, you may not need a new fixture.

viperfish
10-18-2009, 06:37 PM
...and just FYI, the Carpet is currently in my 90 Gal under my TEK 6 x 54 watt T5 HO and thriving. I just need to go bigger before the Anemone does. I also have a Blue Angel who will need the 180.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I believe you could also just switch the ballasts and bulbs down the road if you wanted to upgrade, you may not need a new fixture.

You can, but it means switching out the bulb socket in the unit as well, since 250w DE is larger than 150w DE. I know a couple of members who've done it. You may also need to switch to a more powerful fan.

For your needs, medhat, the 150w should be fine. See how the carpet does under it and if you need to, J&L does sell Geisemann bulbs, but not sure what k? I grew clams, anemones & LPS under my 150w in a 2' deep tank for years before upgrading to 250w.

Anthony

viperfish
10-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I guess I just wanted more flexibility. You know how it goes, everyone starts off with a FOWLR and next thing its evolved into a full blown reef. I've discovered that FOWLR tanks are a myth...lol, they're just an excuse to get a new tank and justify it to yourself. It's almost impossible to avoid the evolution!
...or maybe I just don't have the willpower, ha ha!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Same thing happened to me. Here's a pic of my "fowlr":

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/Anthony/IMG_3205.jpg

Pic by Franklin (fkshiu):biggrin::wink:

burrows14
10-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I've discovered that FOWLR tanks are a myth...lol, they're just an excuse to get a new tank and justify it to yourself. It's almost impossible to avoid the evolution!
...or maybe I just don't have the willpower, ha ha!

This is so true!:lol: Mine started as a FOWLR and then i bought a couple frags and then my bta from my other tank and now over the matter of a couple of weeks i have a reef tank ha ha Now i have to buy another system because i want emperor angel soooo bad! haha

Ray

viperfish
10-19-2009, 12:56 AM
My FOWLER...lol