PDA

View Full Version : My Red Sea Max Curse......

fraggalrock
10-18-2009, 10:36 AM
So I have had many little mishaps along the way in my introduction into the world of saltwater and tonight was another little example..After a rockslide on friday night at midnight that killed and crushed some of my nice polyps I have to take rocks out to try and fix things. In the mean time I somehow cut myself on one of the rocks or something in the tank.I finally went to bed about 2am but woke up about 5 with my whole arm burning and numb, I took a tylenol and went back to bed. I noticed in the morning the cut was puffy and red and oh so sore and I had zero energy :( I finally scraped myself off the couch to go for dinner in white rock at about 5. By this time I couldnt bare the pain and dinner was out of the question,the cut which was on my thumb was now a massive infection and had travelled up to my elbow..Ouch! off to Peach arch Hosp I went. Lots of bloodwork done (vampires) and IV antibiotics and some special tests.Its now 3.30 am Sunday and they left the IV line in and I have to go have for more antibiotics tomorrow night.It will take a couple of days for most of the tests to come back but I will keep you informed I also took pics as well.So when I am up to it I will buy gloves! and I am learning not to cry if something dies (PS Anthony I didnt cry tonight LOL) and I have zero regrets and will learn from all my newbie mistakes!

Sherry

fishytime
10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
OMG Sherry! Im a carpenter so there isnt ever a time when I dont have cuts and scrapes on my hands and I have never got an infection like that....if anything I think the saltwater helps speed the healing process.....very sorry about your troubles....I hope you have a speedy recovery.

intarsiabox
10-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Ouch! Sounds like you're having a rough time! When you put your rocks back together I would suggest using black plastic zip ties to hold them together to prevent any more slides. I hope you heal up fast and it turns out to be nothing serious.:sad:

Ian
10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
OMG!!!!!! get well

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Dang Sherry. You didn't mention the pain when we talked. Hope the tests results are good news.

Anthony

soapy
10-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow that is scary stuff! I hope that heals up nice and quick. There is a lot of scary stuff in a tank for sure.

You might want to consider picking up some of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&cat=2,42407,33240,10264&p=10264

they are mucking gloves from Lee Valley. They are pretty rugged I have yet to puncture a set and have been using them for months. I rinse them after use before taking them off then dry them with a towel and just pull them off inside out. They turn right side out easily. A set should last a long time and protect you from lots of bad stuff in your tank.

icecool217
10-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Many corals are actually poisonous. That was probably what happened and when you reached into the tank, you may have been poisoned. At any time you do not feel well after handling your tank, you should get help. Like soapy said, gloves are strongly recommended.

fraggalrock
10-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes I will buy gloves and these pincher things that Anthony has for moving stuff around when I get some.I moved most of my rocks to my other Biocube a 14 gallon and they work good so now I have to really nice biocubes that look amazing and an almost empty RSM LOL. Anthony you have been amazing...so I didnt want to wine at you anymore :) and I owe you and Irene and your adorable little girl some oatmeal cookies!

Sherry

banditpowdercoat
10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
WOW, gues everyone's differnet. I find the best thing for my cuts and scrapes is a dip in the tank. Makes them heal faster.

fraggalrock
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
This is the arm that took the cut,you can see a slight line in pen the DRs put how far the infection traveled down my arm.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/starscreams/infection.jpg

This is the line I need to keep in for tests and medicine.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/starscreams/ivline.jpg

Van-rookie
10-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Thats terrible. Hope you get well soonest

mr.wilson
10-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I contracted septicemia once while putting away a live rock order. I scratched the back of my wrist on a rock and didn't even notice at first. It only took 6 hours for my whole arm to swell up. Once the veins in your arm turn red up to your elbow, you have to go to the hospital. They gave me doxycycline if I remember correctly.

Mycobacterium Marinum (tuberculosis) isn't the same as the T.B. humans get, but it can give you contact lesions. I had it on a finger for about a year. I know a few people that have contracted it. Doctors don't usually diagnose it because it's an exotic condition and even the aquarist doesn't make the connection. Isoniazid and Rifampin are effective cures.

Stingrays, certain tangs, lionfish, sea slugs, mushrooms, zoanthids, anemones, palythoa, and fire worms are just a few of the perils in our aquariums. Aquarium medications, additives, and salmonella are also a potential danger.

Rubber gloves are always a good idea.

fraggalrock
10-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks so much for all your kind words. The tests are not back yet and the infection has spread and gotten worse.I will have to go to the hospital every night for antibiotics and tests :( will keep you posted.

Sherry

whatcaneyedo
10-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Thats pretty horrible. I am especially vulnerable to venom and stings (I was deadly allergic to bee stings) so I try to wear some kind of glove all of the time. My favorite are the simple disposable blue nitrile gloves because they dont puncture easily and I can still feel what I'm touching unlike with the coralife aquagloves. But if I'm playing with my lionfish the aquagloves make me feel the safest.