PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone offer some computer advice?

whatcaneyedo
10-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm having a computer issue and I was wondering if anyone could help. What happens is if I have a couple of programs running the computer crashes. Its as if someone just pulled the plug and the whole thing loses power.

The PC is 8 years old, runs Windows XP and is an ASUS. These problems only just started happening in the last few months. Until now, aside from the occasional virus this computer has had very few problems over its lifetime. I've reformatted it 3 times already this year and I've been trying to do it again but the process seems to make the computer work too hard and then... it crashes. I'm now convinced that its a hardware issue and considering the age I think I'm better off just to buy a new machine. Maybe a Macbook... but I dont really want to spend the money right now.

ElGuappo
10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
mine does this once in a while and i think its a heat issue. the fan on my laptop sucks and it tend to overheat.

cuz
10-17-2009, 07:47 PM
have had similar problems, mine was heat issues as well. i found once removing the cover there was alot of dust, dirt, cat hair crudding everything up!! a can of compressed air, a trip outside and i was good to go!!

Snaz
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Heat is probably the culprit if it shuts down unexpectedly but if it REBOOTS unexpectedly then it is likely a Windows problem. If it is rebooting then try disabling the automatic reboot on error and hopefully it will just throw you an error instead of critical failure.

To disable automatic REBOOT:
1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

If it is a heat issue then used compressed air to clean inside the case, fans and heatsinks. Inspect fans while running to ensure they are spinning fast, replace as needed. Fan are cheap ~$10-15 bucks each.

Mr.nintendo
10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
ya like everyone has stated it's usually an issue with heat, after so many years parts either build up a substantial layer of dust or things like hair and random particulant stuff in the fans/ heatsinks.

Try compressed air and the reboot method snaz posted. If you still have issues it could be any number of things including RAM/CPU or just general load being to much for an older set-up. Hopefully the easy fix does the trick but if not you most likely will need some new parts. Luckily good stuff is reasonable these days and wont take much to get some components

Bryan
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Sounds too me like two issues either defective memory or a hd that may be starting to go. There is utilities on the web that can test both. Usually defective areas in a memory module cause the PC to lock up. I have seen a bad HD cause a pc to reboot, but usually the "Blue screen of Death" comes up first.

Could also be the motherboard I believe Asus had a history in the past of bad capacitors on the motherboard. Look for caps that appear to be bulging at the top. this is often a dead giveaway.

Oh.. and for every computer nerd out there.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21997

banditpowdercoat
10-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Ya Alot of times, the instant off issues are heat. Open up case and blow out dust bunnies. The CPU cooler usually gets pluged solid over time

BlueWorldAquatic
10-17-2009, 10:32 PM
More than likely power supply as they normally last for 6/7 years, check if the heatsink on the cpu is clean and fan is spinning correctly. it's probly overheating, and causing the reset. Too many times I have replaced the PS due to lower than expected power.

Ken

fencer
10-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Change the computer...you'll be a lot happier as opposed to trying to fix it. This sounds more like a motherboard problem. Oh and don't buy anything that starts with "A"

Snaz
10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Change the computer...you'll be a lot happier as opposed to trying to fix it. This sounds more like a motherboard problem. Oh and don't buy anything that starts with "A"

This post baffles me. How hard is it to remove dust from a computer?

fencer
10-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Have a close look at the componets on the motherboard. After 8 yrs the capacitors might have blown off their tops. This also causes the symptoms you describe. Or it is the power supply. To be perfectly honest after 8 years you really should replace that computer. The cost of repair is not worth the effort. I am preety sure you can get budget machines(or secand hand one if $$$ is a problem) that are much faster than what you have.

Ian
10-18-2009, 05:34 PM
:biggrin:Buy yourself some canned air and blow out all your fansa and vents, check to be sure all your fans are still running ( don't forget power supply fans(s). While you have your case open to do this look for swollen capacitors as you pc is the correct age to have been hit by this flaw( although it usually showed up in under 3 years)

If this does nothing to correct your issue you have crossed into real money territory to fix and MAY want to consider flat out replacing since in computer years yours is ancient. If not the start running free diagnostics you can find online, check your RAM, Hard Drive, Motherboard, and and video card as all can cause this to happen in the wierd and wacky world of computer diagnostics.

Oh and take a look at how many programs are running at start up and remove any that are not critica,l this will reduce load and free up some memory so you machine will run faster and reduce conflicts and make it less likely to crash on you

If all this fails cut small hole in case and fill with cement and call it an anchor as your frustration level will have made this seem as a positive step

whatcaneyedo
10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Thank you for all of the ideas. Its been about 2 years since I last blasted the tower out with an air compressor so I did it again today. It was pretty bad in there so hopefully that solves the problem for now. I still plan to get a new computer sometime within the next year once I start working again in the Spring.