PDA

View Full Version : Dictyota, Sargassum and Urchins

Quinn
08-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with urchins, specifically blue tuxedo urchins, versus Dictyota and Sargassum algae? The algaes aren't really a problem right now but I'm worried they might become one, and I've been considering an urchin. Perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone.

Jack
08-22-2003, 10:59 PM
I had both those algaes come on my box of Figi rock. When it was in my old FOWLER tank it took over because of high nutrients and poor filtration equipment and too much lights (come on I was just starting out! :razz: :lol:). But now a year later in my reef tank it's going away and mostly non existant. Now when I prune it it doesn't come back. Sargassum is now totally gone aswell. The dictyota I HATED it was so ugly and grew like mad but now with low nutrient levels and good equipment it's fine. I've read that sometimes sargassum just stops after a year, give or take. I think you should be fine you have a nice system.

Jack
08-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Oh btw, nothing I had in the tank would eat it.

kris
08-23-2003, 08:15 PM
when i had my Blue T. urinch, it never really showed any sighns of eating the alge. (othere then a little coraline alge). But as fare as a critter for the tank. i lovoed mine and will be getting another one as soon as the tank matures.

Cheers!