PDA

View Full Version : What miscellaneos items do i need now?

dekay
08-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Decided to not go with MH, cuz I'll be happy with soft corals and LPS. Besides, I don't really want to build a rack. So I've somewhat decided on my equipment list now.

Equipment I already have:
46 gallon bow front tank w/ stand (L=36inch, D=18inch, W=12inch)
Heater

Equipment I'm getting:
4x55w Power Compacts
Prism Pro Deluxe Protein Skimmer
2x Maxjiet 1200
DI Filter

I know I'll still need live rock and live sand. But what else do I need?
-kalkwasser
-ph buffer
-food for the corals

Can you guys gimme a list of essentials and some optional chemicals or what not that I'll need? Including the brand name and their purpose would be helpful too, and if you'll throw in an approx amount (xxx grams etc.) that you think I'll need for my relatively small tank, then you'll be a superstar at least on my list :cool: . Thanks for helping a noob out.

Jack
08-22-2003, 10:53 PM
I don't think you will need pH buffer because the kalk should maintain good buffering. Add it at night via slow drip (drop a second or slower) and that should maintain your Ca and Alk to get you started. But first keep an eye on your Ca and Alk levels that way you know if either your keeping up with your tank demand or not dosing enough. Saturated kalk has a pH of 12 so that's the reason for the slow drip, you don't want to overshoot your tank.

I think you would enjoy MH but 4x55w PC's will be okay. Keep in mind bulb replacement cost. A single 175w 10k bulb might be nice over that tank and just as effective on keeping corals ect. Plus you get the MH "shimmer" which is priceless. But anyways go for what you want I'm just throwing suggestions out there. But once you use MH you never go back :lol:

Aquattro
08-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Maybe give us a complete list of everything you have, and we can see what is missing!

dekay
08-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Maybe give us a complete list of everything you have, and we can see what is missing!

that's all i have, or is going to have. i've got nothing in terms of chemicals etc.

Aquattro
08-22-2003, 11:06 PM
You'll need test kits, nets, hydrometer, thermometer, etc. For chemicals, 2 part kits might be what you need to start with. Kalk is great and all, but you prolly won't need that much supplementation the first 6 months or so. In that time, you'll learn what you need and don't need.
You need salt too, don't cheep out here.
You may want more circulation, 2 MJ 1200s aren't that much. Do you have a sump? ( i forget). You'll need a heater too.

Jack
08-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Yes, heater and salt is good Brad :razz: :lol:

I forget though have you posted tank specs yet dekay? I think we could help better.

dekay
08-23-2003, 12:01 AM
yep, specs are up there.

46 gallon bow front tank w/ stand (L=36inch, D=18inch, W=12inch)

dekay
08-23-2003, 12:15 AM
You'll need test kits, nets, hydrometer, thermometer, etc. For chemicals, 2 part kits might be what you need to start with. Kalk is great and all, but you prolly won't need that much supplementation the first 6 months or so. In that time, you'll learn what you need and don't need.
You need salt too, don't cheep out here.
You may want more circulation, 2 MJ 1200s aren't that much. Do you have a sump? ( i forget). You'll need a heater too.

no sump. the tank is relatively smaller than what most ppl have, you sure 2xMJ 1200 isn't enough circulation?

Aquattro
08-23-2003, 12:34 AM
I eventually added a sump to my 45g, it helped a lot.

No, I'm not sure they won't be enough. It will depend on how much rock you have and what type of corals. It "may" not be enough.

fishnut
08-23-2003, 03:15 AM
For measuring specific gravity, forget swing arm hydrometers, and those costing less than $ 20.

For accurate results in measuring this important parameter, a Tropic Marin floating hydrometer or a good quality refractometer is your best bet.

You will also need a heater and powerhead for your make-up saltwater.

A quality test kit for testing alkalinity, such as Salifert brand, is probably a good idea. You may also want to get a calcium test kit at some point.

An battery powered air pump is good to have on hand for emergencies (read power failures) and they don't cost much.

A couple of books which I have found to be invaluable for reference when choosing livestock are: Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung, and Scott Michael's Pocket Guide to Marine Fish. Always research before buying to amke sure you can provide for the animals' needs.

A quarantine tank will save a lot of grief and expense in the long run. It can double as a hospital tank, and is easy to set up with water from the display tank, a heater, a small outside power filter, and some PVC pipe for hiding places - no substrate or live rock.

A plastic container such as the ones for keeping small reptiles, with the lid with the slits in it, can be used for catching your fish without netting, or for isolating a troublesome fish temporarily from its tankmates.

These are just suggestions which have worked for me - setting up the tank and buying the livestock are just the first step - I believe we have a responsibility to do everything we can to keep our charges alive and thriving for the long term.

Aquattro
08-23-2003, 03:43 AM
A plastic container such as the ones for keeping small reptiles, with the lid with the slits in it, can be used for catching your fish without netting.

Good point. I retract my "get a net" advice. I forgot how hard it was to extract my tang from a net last time I caught her. :razz: