PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any opinion/experiences with a 144G Half Circle for a Reef Tank?

Carmen
10-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Looking for anyones personal opinions/experiences on a 144 G Half Circle Tank being used as a reef tank. I have found a Half Circle for a pretty goof price and am going to take a look at it tonight but am wondering how difficult this may be to work with. It is 57.5" X 29" X 29". I LOVE my 72 G bowfront but am ofcourse wanting to go bigger. I am finding many options in traditional tanks but the bow jacks up the price so much that I have not found a feasible option (used). Can't afford new.

I understand there is some distortion as there is with the Bowfront but I am not bothered by that with the bow. is the circle much worse?

How are these for cleaning the glass? Can a magfloat scraper be used?

Any other advise you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Carmen

Leah
10-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Carmen, I really can't see why it would be any different than a bow or wave for that matter. I think it could be an amazing tank. You will probably have a better idea once you see it. Very :mrgreen:
Good-luck hope it works out, keep us posted :biggrin:

kien
10-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I think that if the magfloat is important to you then you should take one over there and try it out to be sure the arc won't be an issue. Would suck to get that tank home and all set up only to be annoyed by having to stick your hand in there everytime you needed to clean some algae off. Again, only if that's portant to you. I know lots of people who don't even use magfloat :-)

Carmen
10-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks guys.
I went to take a look and it's a beautiful tank! Love it ofcourse but I have some concerns.
How do people find the 30" tall tanks? I know set-up will be a challenge because I probably can't even reach the bottom:wink: but once set-up, is general maintenance tough? Do you find yourself constantly going "swimming"?
I think the magfloat will still work but would love to hear from someone with an actual half-circle.

Sump is a small sump with an external ETSS skimmer and an external pump. Would probably use a larger sump to accomodate an internal pump?? Not sure of pros, cons on this. Also the Skimmer I know nothing about.

The lights are an Aqualife 2 X 250 MH with 2 X PC
My question too is can I use 6 bulb Tek in a 30" tank or will it not reach the bottom???

So many things to think about....

tredford8
10-17-2009, 03:13 AM
It looks like you have mainly softie/LPS in your bowfront now anyways, so the T-5's should be good for them, and then just keep any higher light or SPS near the top of your rockwork and you should be fine.

banditpowdercoat
10-17-2009, 03:19 AM
the skinny magfloat will work, but square ones like the 350, not so well. And the scraper, that you glue on to the magfloat. Not so well. WILL scratch the glass if used on curves. Ask me how I know:cry:

Argentiner
10-18-2009, 01:16 AM
My tank is 30" and I have to use tongs to get at things. Especially with the canopy on top. I have 2 sizes, the big bulky ones and the smaller ones you see people feeding eels with. Use the smaller one all the time.

As long as a algae free magnet with a razor blade can work, it's fine for getting the coraline off. If it won't work, you will have to use the mag float every couple days to not let the coraline start growing. Impossible to get it off when it builds up without the razor blade. I use mine only once in a while when I have to, but didn't find it scratches too bad. I usually use it without the razor blade on, and have an acrylic pad on it.

I have to keep my SPS more than half way up to get any colour on anything but green ones, so if you want SPS, you'll have to aquascape so you a lot of rock up high. Unless you only want a few... I have a constellation 14 bulb T5 light. LPS and softies can go on the bottom easily.

The half circle looks great. Always loved that one in Pisces with the stingray, and is why I got my bowfront.

Carmen
10-18-2009, 01:33 AM
My tank is 30" and I have to use tongs to get at things. Especially with the canopy on top. I have 2 sizes, the big bulky ones and the smaller ones you see people feeding eels with. Use the smaller one all the time.

As long as a algae free magnet with a razor blade can work, it's fine for getting the coraline off. If it won't work, you will have to use the mag float every couple days to not let the coraline start growing. Impossible to get it off when it builds up without the razor blade. I use mine only once in a while when I have to, but didn't find it scratches too bad. I usually use it without the razor blade on, and have an acrylic pad on it.

I have to keep my SPS more than half way up to get any colour on anything but green ones, so if you want SPS, you'll have to aquascape so you a lot of rock up high. Unless you only want a few... I have a constellation 14 bulb T5 light. LPS and softies can go on the bottom easily.

The half circle looks great. Always loved that one in Pisces with the stingray, and is why I got my bowfront.

Awesome Thanks Scott! Not exactly a bowfront but I am going to go for it! The deals is just too good to pass up! I am sure the 30" depth will drive me nuts but the tank has to be worth it!

A Constellation 14 Bulb?? Wow! That's alot of bulbs! Thinking my 6 bulb won't cut it then??? I suppose I will see when it's all set up - I can try out both! I am not an SPS person - I have none! So it is just LPS and Softies but I like bright and sparkly blue/purple!:mrgreen:

Thanks everyone!

Argentiner
10-18-2009, 02:25 AM
The 14 bulbs are 7 36" and 7 36" side by side, so your 6 bulbs wouldn't be much different since the tank is shorter.

Carmen
10-18-2009, 02:31 AM
The 14 bulbs are 7 36" and 7 36" side by side, so your 6 bulbs wouldn't be much different since the tank is shorter.

Ahh okay that makes more sense! Well I am much more excited now. So we will see MH VERSUS T5!:smile:

Ryan
10-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Carmen I cant give you an experience on the half circle but I can give you som exxperience with 30" tall tanks. When Mike and I first got into SPS we found a guy locally who was practically giving away his corals. The catch was we had to bag it all and the tank was 30" deep. Both of us were arm pits deep and I got long arms. 30" doesnt seem like much but even going 15" towards the back becomes a LONG reach. Be prepared to use some tongs, or wear a top you dont mind getting a little wet.

Carmen
10-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks Ryan! I am fully prepared to "hate" the 30" deep tank during maintenace or grabbing falling corals! I WILL buy some big a$$ tongs and a bathing suit!!! Hoping the love of the curve front will outweigh the trouble!

Red Coral Aquariums
10-18-2009, 07:11 AM
I WILL buy some big a$$ tongs and a bathing suit!!!
I predict LPS frag selling success in your future.:lol::lol::lol:
Good luck and the best on your purchase.
If you need any help feel free to ask.
Kevin

Carmen
10-18-2009, 02:41 PM
:redface::redface: Shoulda saw that one coming!:lol: