PDA

View Full Version : Any Medicine Hat Reefers Here?

viperfish
10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
We seem to be a rare breed! I would love to know who is in the area, maybe swap some frags.

pelle31
10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
There's a few people around the Hat as well as from Taber and area. Lots I met don't
do the forums and whatnot. And some are just not friendly period!!

viperfish
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
There's a few people around the Hat as well as from Taber and area. Lots I met don't
do the forums and whatnot. And some are just not friendly period!!

I'd say too bad for the unfriendly ones. It seems like every city or town has a community of reefers and aquarium enthusiasts. I think it makes the hobby more interesting, saves money, and provides a wealth of knowledge. Who wouldn't want that?

pelle31
10-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Well you would think everyone would want that,I know I do and a few of the people that I
know think the same.

Where we get hosed is that we only have one store in town and people pay through the nose for stuff from there. So when people leave the hobby or want to sell frags,equipment and fish,they figure they can use that store and what they payed to set prices. I'm not bashing anyone or anything cause I know what most people pay for stuff here,but damn you can get twice as much from ordering online or takin a trip to Calgary. I try and get all my stuff either on this forum or from other local reefers.

Ryan
10-15-2009, 10:58 PM
We used to talke trips there but its not even worth it anymore. Lethbridge has 3 good Saltwater stores now with good pricing. Heck some of the stuff is half the price of what you find it for in Calgary. Selection depends on what time you show up, the nice stuff goes pretty fast here, like right out of the bag fast.

pelle31
10-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I'll have to make a trip down that way soon as well,they keep sayin at work we have some
jobs down there but they are always getting cancelled.

Ryan
10-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Its worth it, if you throw me a PM I will tell ya when the next 2 orders are coming.

viperfish
10-16-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm heading to Lethbridge on the weekend to visit family. I have been to the one in the light industrial area (very small but well stocked), I heard there was a new one opened up on the west end called Goober's (I think), where is the third? Hopefully they have some nice coral. I'll send you a PM Ryan if you could give me the heads up it would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan
10-16-2009, 01:33 AM
PM replied.

Buzz
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm in Redcliff. I don't have alot of frags but always up to meet some new people into the hobby in the area.

reefbyremote
11-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I am also in Medicine Hat. Just started my first sw (90 g) 6 or 7 weeks ago. Pelle and these forums have been a great help. Trying to move slow so stocking slowly. Also it is less shock on the wallet that way.

882m4
11-30-2009, 02:08 AM
I am also from Medicine Hat. I have a 15g with 10g sump thats been set up for around half a year in total (transferred every thing from my former biocube 14 into this tank.) I've got a few corals, and am always looking for more frags.

Buzz
02-05-2010, 06:29 PM
The reef shoppe is sending a oreder down I know a few people in the hat have already ordered but i thought i would post this so the others can get in the loop. Shipping is free and Kelly has some really nice zoo's acans and sps in right now. Check out his website he said he doesn't have alot of the newer corals on the site so shoot him an email and he'll let you know. If you want something and don't have pay pal get a hold of me and we can work something out.

nanoFX
02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I live in the med hat area, I am a little dissappointed in the reef scene here. It is very pricey to get anything in med hat. I usually wait until I go to Calgary, Lethbridge, or even Brooks. Seems like it's buy online or a 2-3hr drive to get something.

viperfish
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree, that Medicine Hat is limited but it's a "chicken and egg" scenario, there would be more people into it if it was promoted the right way. I always shop around anyway so even if we did have a high end store in town I would still order elsewhere for a better price. I find that no one store has everything anyway, and most places ship for free. I order ahead of time for consumables like carbon, frozen food etc. and stock up when sales are on. I don't think this would change if I lived in Calgary. It would be nice to browse corals, fish, and inverts. Lethbridge is starting to really grow in the reef hobby. My brother lives there and he said Homes Alive is quite the store. I have also talked to Ryan, he seems like a real good guy.

RedSea130
03-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Hello. I am also from Medicine Hat. Just got a RedSea Max 130 (34G) this past weekend. I am taking it slow at the moment in getting started. Looking for good options for Live Rock to start the tank. Any suggestions for good place to get some at a reasonable price? i am looking for about 24lbs.

viperfish
03-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new tank. I had a RSM, great tank, I think you'll be very happy with it. Rob at Animal World has a good price on some live rock if you buy a box (about 50 lbs). Otherwise you may have to head to Lethbridge or Calgary.

AquaticFinatic
09-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Hey guys as some of you are already aware and part of I am trying to start up a fish club here in the hat. Email me at daveycoopa@hotmail.com if you would like to be part of the fun!