PDA

View Full Version : How to catch brittle stars?

Mr.nintendo
10-15-2009, 05:21 AM
So the last few frags I added to the tank ahd some little hiding suprises, about 8-9 brittle stars, a few black and normal.

Now if I only saw one of two I wouldn't mind so much, but this many in my 33g is to much. They seem to grow pretty dam quick and I want a few if not all out.

anyone have any ideas or links as to how I could attract or catch them? they break apart so easy you cant really just grab them by the visible arms

s.tan
10-15-2009, 05:28 AM
You might try putting an open clam or some other food in a jar or similar container and set it in your tank. The brittle stars should actively seek out the food and you can just lift the jar out. If you do have sucess and want to get rid of the brittle stars, I wouldn't mind taking them. Hope this works. Good luck.:biggrin:

Snaz
10-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Baby brittle stars are a great clean up crew and their populations ebb and swell with what food is available. If their numbers are overwhelming then you have an excess food issue that they are helping to keep under control.

Mr.nintendo
10-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Baby brittle stars are a great clean up crew and their populations ebb and swell with what food is available. If their numbers are overwhelming then you have an excess food issue that they are helping to keep under control.

Well I will keep this in mind and watch closely then :) they havn't been in more then a week or two for some.

If they are an issue in the future I'll try and determine what the problem is, for now I'll enjoy watching them :)

MMAX
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I've got lots of them in my 20gal. They're great for cleaning up and don't bother my corals at all.